1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius vs. Pedestrian: car saved my life.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DocVijay, Sep 19, 2007.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ 2007 09 19 21:51) [snapback]515145[/snapback]</div>
    Well, OK, then. I'll shutup now.

2. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Sep 19 2007, 05:10 PM) [snapback]514992[/snapback]</div>
    Yikes! You hit people who illegally pulled out in front of you. Tragically unfortunately for them, they weren't wearing a car at the time.

If they were in a car and it was just the front end of your car against the front end of their car, you'd be quite a bit less sad, and more angry about them causing an accident. And, you (or your insurance company) would be going after them as being at fault. On a cold, impersonal level, this is no different.

Sometimes, for incomprehensible reasons, people do things that are completely unsafe, and everyone around them has to suffer the consequences. You're hurting, and their families are hurting. Everyone who loves them now has to deal with the bitter pain of losing them. And they have paid the ultimate price for their carelessness.

I'm so sorry for you, I'm so sorry for their families, and I'm sorry for them, but it sure looks as if it was their fault, and their fault alone. And, as cold as it sounds, you also have a right to be a bit angry about innocently being put in this horrible horrible situation through absolutely no fault of your own.

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Sep 20 2007, 11:26 AM) [snapback]515262[/snapback]</div>
    No. Normally, the car automatically saves the last 10 or 20seconds of data if the airbags deploy. Here they didn't.

Also, I got out of the car as soon as it stopped to dial 911 and check on the two. The car was idling for about 30-40 minutes before I realized it was still on. Any data was long gone.

I can't really remember exactly how fast I was going at the time. I do know traffic was overall quite a bit under the speed limit because of the rain.

4. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Terribly sorry to read about your experience doc. Best wishes--Scott

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Condolences for your trauma.

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DocVijay, I want to thank you for posting this.
    I understand that your intention is that we all learn that the Prius handles itself very well under extreme circumstances... and we've also learned that some Prius drivers do, as well.

Hugs from a distance: {{{{{DocVijay}}}}}

7. Birdums

Birdums You, me, and da Pri

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Bjorn, I am so, so sorry this has happened to you. How horrible.

I've been thinking about the situation, and have come to the conclusion that it was simply fate for these girls to pass on at that time. Nothing could have changed it. They could see you probably much easier than you could see them, especially if your state requires headlights on during rain. It was totally, completely their fault, and it sounds like such a stupid thing to do that I can only attribute it to fate.

It sounds like you tried your best to avoid them, even to the point of possibly endangering yourself. Nobody could ask for more from you. I hope you can find peace soon.

8. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Its pretty much all been said, but wanted to add my voice of support. A very sad incident on all fronts. You bear a heavy weight, and I'm glad we here on PC can help in some small way.

Rob

9. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Though I enjoy Priuschat everyday, most of the posts are so trivial (beeps on or off, HOV sticker whining, MPGs...etc.) Your post is one of the most sobering I have ever read. Thank you for sharing it, even if there is no way to change the outcome. I had a similar incident, where two kids on one bicycle came from between parked cars, and I hit them with my delivery truck. Luckily, they werent injured seriously. When I got back to work I showed the damage to my boss, and the dent on the hood had a layer of their skin on it. I felt sick. I know somewhat how you feel. Its not just a Prius issue, its a human issue. Everyone, be safe out there!

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drifty'sDad @ Sep 19 2007, 10:26 PM) [snapback]515076[/snapback]</div>
    DocVijay,
    I wish to add my condolences for your horrifying experience. I can only imagine how I terrible I would feel if I were in your situation. You didn't do anything wrong, couldn't have done anything differently, yet I'm sure your mind still tries to make sense of it all.

For Drifty'sDad and others who drive in serious rain, I have found that Rain-X (first read about it here) is a truly wonderful product. At 35 MPH in most rain above a drizzle, it is pretty much equal to wipers and no more visually intrusive (especially at night on an unlit interstate). In really heavy rain, again at speed, it allows the wipers to clear the windshield as if you had no Rain-X in regular rain. I have tried the windshield washer fluid additive: don't bother. Besides only keeping the windshield clean where the wipers run, it seems to leave a film on the glass and the wiper blades. More work, but also much more effective: get the stuff you use after washing the windows well. Pretty much the same process as waxing the car - rub it on, buff it off after it dries.

I don't mean to suggest in any way that it would have changed Bjorn's situation. There were way too many factors involved. However, I have personally felt a LOT more comfortable in heavy rain since I started using Rain-X. Rain in which other cars have their wipers on high, still can't see much and barrel on at speed or slow down a LITTLE. The smarter ones pull over and wait for it to lighten up. In those situations, I have found I can carry on at 45 or 50 with the wipers running on high and see as well as if it were a moderate rain. And yes, I watch out for standing water in the wheel depressions in the road so as to avoid hydroplaning.

* No, I don't sell the stuff nor get commissions from sale, or own stock (as far as I know) in the company that makes it. Same as with all the Prii I have 'sold' to people by yammering on about the great features. :D

11. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VBsportbiker @ Sep 20 2007, 02:54 AM) [snapback]515161[/snapback]</div>
    I can't agree with this more. Just this morning I was leaving the ice rink and came to the crosswalk at the main road. There is a stop sign. A lady started crossing just as I approached the 'stop here' line without even looking to see if I was going to stop, never looked at me to make sure I DID see her, just assumed I would see her and stop. Around here, that is a BAD assumption. About 10% of the drivers really stop, most do a 'rolling stop' at various 'slow' speeds and there are those that think the stop sign means 'slow down only to the point you can still make the turn'. A TON of the 'non stoppers' are looking left for oncoming traffic, not to the right for pedestrians. I am amazed more people aren't hurt while legally crossing the roads. I imagine it is only because the pedestrians are mostly more vigilant than the lady I saw this morning.

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have always feared an incident like this, where someone walks out in front of me with nothing I could do, except live with the memory of it. I hope your pain eases and the memory fades. It's good to share this with all of your friends on PC.

A few years ago I had a somewhat similar, if much less traumatic, experience, where as a member of a jury I had to destroy someones life. I didn't make the bad choices, he did, but still it haunted me having to send someone to prison and take away everything that was dear to him. The memory has faded, but still it bothers me. It's okay and only natural for you to feel the pain, as long as you remember that it was not your doing - just dumb luck being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Peace.

Tom

13. Prinux

Prinux New Member

Oh man. My condolences to you, Doc Vijay, and the families, and to the driver of the second car that struck them. Heck, I even feel for the emergency responders who came to the scene. This is just one of those crappy situations where every body loses. A different way, to varying degrees, but everyone's life is changed forever.

It is disturbing to look at/read... But honestly, I think I would need to talk about it in this way too.

My heart goes out to you.

shoe

14. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you think about how this could happen to virtually anyone, it is quite sobering. I was thinking about this last night as I drove home from work and again this morning.

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry it had to happen to you. Good luck.

15. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You have great courage. Hope with time you're able to heal the emotional scar left by this accident that wasn't your fault.

Take care our thoughts are with you,
    Gabe

16. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Thank you very much for all your kind replies. WHile I have not posted recently, I have been reading them (several times actually).

First, the good news. This weekend was the first time I woke up and this incident was NOT the first thing in my mind. Nor was it the overwhelming thing that ran through my thoughts the majority of the day. The gravity of the situation is still there, and every now and then I get twinges of pain/regret/sadness/whatever you want to call it, they are, thankfully, few and far between now. I'm sure your kind words and reassurances did help.

Now the bad news. I spoke to Toyota today, and the car will be totaled. The actual cost was not quite equal to the cost of the car, but it was enough. Thanks to the place that stored it not covering the hole in the windsheild, enough water got in that it seriously damaged several electrical systems in the car. On top of that, he said that to get the stagnant smell out would basically involve a new interior. The amount of work was quite overwhelming. Besides, he said, do you really want to keep the car after this? Good question. I hadn't really considered that, but he has a point. A really good point.

Now I have to see about getting all my stuff out of it. At least the stereo gear. I may not be able to get the rest of it out, so I guess I'll have to get my receipts out so I can get reimbursed....

So far I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad. I love that car, but considering what happened I guess I'm not too unhappy to see it go.

As for getting a new Prius? Probably, but there was the issue of not being able to comfortably get three car seats in it... I'll have to think about this long and hard! Any thoughts or suggestions?

17. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Sep 26 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]517979[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Bjorn,

I have been lurking this thread and had not posted before now. My thoughts and prayers were with you since first reading your story and I am glad to hear things are starting to get better. I can only imagine how difficult the situation has been, and you just have to remember it was not your fault.

As far as totalling the car, it sounds like it is probably for the best, as at least it may help leave some bad memories behind. You can always gets a different colour / equipment combination if you choose to get another Prius, or perhaps consider a Camry Hybrid since I believe it has a bit more hip room, which would help with the car seats.

PS - I also vouch for bruceha_2000's (slightly OT) comment about Rain-X... this is a great product I have also been using for years and would highly recommend to increase visibility in bad weather.

18. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yea, I saw the hole in the windshield and wondered about that. So did the water get to the Cleansweep stuff under your passenger seat? Man, sounds like a lot of work just to get the stereo out (speakers and cables and all...)

Good luck to ya. Take it slow.

19. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Sep 26 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]517979[/snapback]</div>
    With three kids I'd look seriously at the Mazda 5. Before you know it they are going to be taking friends along on rides and you'll want a car that seats at least 6. I'm learning this the hard way and have to replace my Audi wagon prematurely.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Sep 26 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]517979[/snapback]</div>
    Good point on the totalling too. Didn't think of that either.

Well it depends. My initial thought after you said 3 car seats was the TCH. It's comfortably wide to be able to fit all 3.... assuming you don't need more than one stroller in the trunk.

Otherwise, I'll second Jeff's suggestion on the Mazda5. The 2008 model is being revamped (although it looks like an update more than a full model makeover). It'll get the same 2.3 litre but gets a 5-spd automatic. Just note that if you do get the Mazda5, you'll definitely want to upgrade the speakers. They're are by far the worse set of audio equipment I've ever heard. But other than that, it's a great car!