1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius vs Prime Hybrid mode question

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by joe81tx, Apr 20, 2017.

1. joe81tx

joe81tx New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Everyone,
    I had a regular 2017 Prius and I would try to keep the Hybrid System Indicator in the Hybrid Eco area so the ICE wouldn't turn on. In order to accomplish that you have to drive so slow and when going up a steep hill you can forget it. In Hybrid mode does the Prime accelerate better than the standard Prius or is there no difference? I know the Prime can use both MG's so I was hoping picking the Prime would make that less painful.

Also, I don't have access to a plug so I won't be able to use EV mode. I'm assuming the Prime's battery will charge up in Hybrid mode just like it does in the standard Prius (when braking or when the engine is on and not being driven hard) it will just take longer due to larger battery capacity. Is that correct?

My car was totaled and I'm trying to pick between the standard Prius or the Prime and no dealers in Texas have them to test drive. Thank you!

KrPtNk likes this.
  2. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hybrid mode operation is the same on both under normal driving conditions. If you have a mountainous terrain to drive in, the Prime can capture more regenerative EV miles going down long distances. The Prime also has a Charge Mode that will purposely allow the engine to charge the battery with EV range miles. If this mode is not selected, the hybrid system will not use the engine to charge the battery with EV range miles. This is all based on not plugging it in at all. If you were to ever plug it in, it will by default, go into EV only mode and only use electricity in most conditions until it is depleted. In considering the Prime, you also get Federal and, if they are available, local tax credits that would make the price of the Prime cheaper than the closely equipped regular Prius. I say closely because the Prime has options that the liftback doesn't have and the liftback has options that the Prime doesn't have.

#1 in Easley,SC

3. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you have no access to charging at all, and you were happy with the Prius, I would say go with the standard Prius rather than getting a Prime. You would be losing cargo space, a seat and other things to gain something you won't really be using. Sure you can drive a little more aggressive in EV mode, but you first have to charge to get there. Just driving around isn't likely to charge you much into the EV section of the battery. Also I am not sure how healthy for the battery it is to never charge it. These batteries shouldn't have memories but that doesn't mean they like to be in a constant state of 70% discharged.

If you can find ways to charge it a couple times a week in various random locations, then sure it may make sense to move up to the Prime if you don't need the cargo space or the extra back seat. We really like our Prime and we have no reason to need 5 seats in a car, so we aren't missing what we don't have (although we will see how we feel about cargo space when we take our summer driving vacation).

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just drove my Prime up Monument pass in Colorado. It's not a real big hill as Colorado hills go, but it's steep in places, and the speed limit is 75. The Prime went up and down both sides with apparently no effort. The engine was never loud enough for me to hear it and accelerating while on the hill was effortless. The round-trip, almost all 65 and 75 on the highway yielded 69mpg, just using the cruise control (no hypermiling of any sort) and without using the stored electricity.

Crowmag Naman likes this.
  5. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume you mean accelerating in EV mode? then yes, much much better, you can floor the pedal and stay in EV.
    Although the Prime has one big (8.8 kWh) traction battery, think of it as having two: one (small, say in the size of the liftback battery) for HV mode and one (much bigger) for EV driving. In HV mode the engine, even when not driven hard, will not charge beyond the a.m. HV portion of the battery, unless you force it to do it with a special 'charge mode'. However, when there is a chance for substantial regeneration, like long downhill drive, it will not be missed and charge will go into the EV portion of the battery accumulating EV miles.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    why are you trying to stay in ev mode? that is bad for your mpg's.
    prime has a lot to offer, if you can take advantage of the $4,500. federal tax credit. can you plug in anywhere around town?
    keep in mind, the hatch is smaller, no spare, only 4 seats.

7. Crowmag Naman

Crowmag Naman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I live in a hilly area and get similar MPG. Going down a large hill adds a lot of MPG I noticed. This is my 7th new car and the 2nd best riding car I've owned. The first was a 1993 ford Areostar. I get 28 miles on a charge. Its fun learning the new technology. The Predictive Efficient Driving is my favorite so far. It uses GPS to remember areas where you normally slow down or stop and applies additional engine breaking to maximize battery charging. This car rocks!

bisco and Prius from Dad like this.
  8. joe81tx

joe81tx New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, I mean accelerating in Hybrid Mode but trying to keep the engine from turning on.

This explanation was very helpful, thank you!

I want to be in hybrid mode but avoid the engine turning on as much as possible, my understanding is this is how the Prius/Prime/Hybrids in general increase mpg's.

#8 joe81tx, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
    dalcon95 likes this.
  9. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, that's really not correct at all.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    search for 'pulse and glide' method, or how to get the best mpg's in a prius. you can find threads here, and plenty on youtube.
    you will find that trying to drive on electric in a non plug in is the best way to decrease your mpg's.
    the reason is that the engine has to work longer and harder to recharge the battery.
    you really want to use the engine in it's most efficient rpm range, then glide as if in neutral (no engine or battery power) and then accelerate with the engine again. this is the best way to increase your mpg's, but it is hard to accomplish in heavy traffic.

now, when you are trying to compare to a plug in, it's the exact same thing, but it confuses the issue a bit. you use the wall charge for ev driving, but apart from that, when in hybrid mode, use the above method.
    even 'just driving it' will net you better mpg's than keeping it in ev as much as possible.

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That is the formula for poor MPG. Following instinct, rather than what the system was designed for, is exactly what not to do.

JUST DRIVE IT has been the advice since the first Prius and continues to be for Prime.

Here's a simple guide:
    • Plug in whenever you can.
    • EV mode for city & suburb driving.
    • HV mode when out on the open road.
    • CHARGE mode when you know you won't be able to plug in.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I'm too tired to write it neat so I'll write it in "Bob":
    "CHARGE mode when" - the low fuel light comes on and continue driving to nearest gas station. When the gas runs out and the SOC begins dropping, reduce speed and find a place to park right away. You never want to be out of fuel and battery SOC at the same time. Then the car becomes a rolling mass and shows a power steering error. Worse, this sets a flag the requires a 12V power-on reset before the car will use the gasoline put in the tank. The 12V power-on reset is done by disconnecting the 12V battery ground for 30-60 seconds . . . AFTER adding some gasoline.

Like I said, it is Friday and in a day or so I might be able to tighten it up.

#12 bwilson4web, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017