1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius vs TDI

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bailer, May 16, 2007.

1. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bailer @ May 16 2007, 09:19 AM) [snapback]443403[/snapback]</div>
    The carpool incentive isn't to the most "efficient" veghicle, but the cleanest running vehicle, at least in California. My Prius actually uses more fuel in the high speed HOV lane, than just cruising at the "normal" lane speed. No way is a TDI as clean as the Prius. You can't even buy them (TDI) in California, as far as I know.

I drove a VW Golf TDI 2.0 in Europe for a couple of weeks, and loved it. I was figuring about 48 mpg in mixed city and high speed driving. I was thinking of getting one when I bought the Prius. Two reasons I didn't: Not available in California (TDI 2.0 VW), and actual experience, as well as published quality problems with VW. No way is VW as reliable as Toyota. Its a nice car, just not for me.

2. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

:eek: Be very careful! VWs aren't what they used to be.

The last VW that left me stranded was a 2002 Jetta TDI (transmission went out). Before that, I was stranded in December when my 1999 Passat blew a cylinder. We are selling both of them as junk, because that's what they are.

The Jetta was more fun to drive than the Prius is. The seats are more comfortable, too. But I don't think it holds more than the Prius. Nor is the interior as well thought out, or the ventilation system as good (lots of hot and cold spots in the Jetta).

Then there are all the squirrelly things you have to do to keep the Jetta operable (in addition to frequent repair bills). Such as when the radio quits working, you have to pull out fuse 42 and not replace it, but put it back in. There are an abundance of these quirks. If you like your car to be your hobby, then a VW is for you!

My brother's 2003 Jetta TDI spent over a month in the shop recently. Volkswagen America was called in, along with their engineers, to help figure out what was the matter. That cost a couple thousand.

I have driven nothing but VWs since 1979. They used to be good. My whole extended family drove VWs, and we all expected them to go over 200,000 miles, and sometimes over 300,000. VWs are now beautiful, comfortable, fun pieces of junk that will leave you on the side of the road, where you can see lots of Toyotas humming on past you.

Before the transmission went out, I was in the waiting room getting something repaired on the Jetta TDI when I had a chance to talk to the mechanic. He said the only VW he would own at this point is a manual Jetta with no bells and whistles. He wouldn't even get electric windows if he could avoid it. He said VW quality has gone down the tubes, and it is making him rich. (He no longer drives a VW, if that tells you something. This was all hypothetical.)

Before I bought my Prius, I looked for any kind of web site with an unflattering name, such as Toyotas*cks, etc. I could not find any. You will find lots of those for VWs, and pages of stories such as mine.

Good luck!

3. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 16 2007, 03:02 PM) [snapback]443565[/snapback]</div>

You were brave to drive with all those fireworks in your car.

4. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 16 2007, 03:02 PM) [snapback]443565[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm. Thousands of dollars of fireworks sitting on top of gasoline and 200 volts. Are you TRYING to live up to your screen name???? :D

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ May 16 2007, 01:19 PM) [snapback]443642[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, it occured to us, AFTER the mad race to get all we could before the other buyers, that driving with that much stuff in a semi-electric car probably wasn't the best idea we've ever had. Believe it or not, my passanger is a rocket scientist. I'm dead serious! LMAO!

Since the warehouse was packed with people trying to get their last minute orders in while supplies were moving out fast, we just didn't think about the consequenses...... I decided to take the back roads just in case something sparked we would be able to stop the car quickly, or bail out and reduce the risk of being run over compared to being on the freeway. We had a lot of fun joking about what the news headlines would read though. :lol:

6. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

Fatal, you are aptly named! The more I look at that, the funnier it gets.

One more thing about Prius vs. Jetta TDI.

As for hauling stuff, you can haul bigger stuff in the Prius than the Jetta because the opening to the Jetta trunk is not all that large. I bought a small refrigerator (dorm-sized) and while it would have fit in the Jetta trunk, it would not fit through the Jetta trunk opening. We somehow managed to get it in the front seat but it was rubbing up against me as I drove.

And by the way -- about my bad luck with the two previous VWs mentioned -- both were purchased new, so I know they were well maintained.

7. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ May 16 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]443561[/snapback]</div>
    Base price is supposed to be under $20k. I suspect the diesel TDI is going to be so popular that you won't be able to buy it in base trim for awhile.

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/1259...sportwagen.html

8. bastcat8

bastcat8 New Member

I am in sales also and I drive approximately 250-275 miles a day. I would have to say 30% city the rest on the highway. I am more careful about my speed now but I still go about 69mph on the highways. I am getting about 52 mpg.

9. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll chime in since I have both. They get very similar mileage. Driving from Knoxville, TN to Birmingham, AL at 10 mph over the speed limit the Prius got 48.2 mpg, the TDI got 46.7 mpg. Diesel is more than gas in the winter and less than gas in the summer so it averages out to be the same.

VW quality:
    In the 4th generation vehicles stay away from Jetta's and New Beetle, these where made in Mexico for the US market and suck. The Golf and Jetta Wagon have much better records. The 5th generation Jettas and Golf's are suppose to be much better. VW is report 80% less problems with the current models. TDI's will return to the US to all 50 states in 2008 when Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel is available.

The TDI's do not require more maintenance. They only require an oil and filter change every 10K miles, but you MUST use a diesel specific, full synthetic oil. The fuel filter need to be changed every 30K miles, the timing belt every 100k miles. For running expenses, everything except purchase price and taxes, I have spent $0.06 per mile. No unscheduled maintenance except replacing the glow plugs in 137,000 miles.

I've only had the Prius for 7K miles so I can't comment on quality. It does have a much lower quality interior and poor suspension compared to the VW. The Prius has more passenger room but less cargo room than my TDI wagon.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ May 16 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]443790[/snapback]</div>
    What type of transmission?

11. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ May 16 2007, 08:23 PM) [snapback]443791[/snapback]</div>
    5 speed manual. My best tank has been 56 mpg, the worst was 42 mpg. It also has high performance Falken tires.

I've driven a Passat with the 2.0 TDI and DSG as a rental in the UK. I highly recommend the DSG for ease of use.

12. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ May 16 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]443473[/snapback]</div>
    I'll second that, we just had to replace the transmission of our beetle 1.8t at a cost of $3000. The vehicle is barely 6 years old and has 80,000 miles on it.

13. vdubstress

vdubstress Junior Member

I've had a prius for eleven days. I went to San Fran to the Lorrena McKennitt show this weekend, picked up my favorite micro professor in Davis on the way, by the time we got to Vallejo, I heard the "You haven't sold the Jetta yet, have you?" line resounding from the front and rear seats. My own back was uncomfortable.

Hands down, the Jetta is going to be more comfortable. If you are spending that much time behind the wheel you need to consider that. Big question here is what is the year of the TDI? I purposely avoided getting a MkIV when I upgraded from my 94 and got the last model year of the MkIII's in a 98. Yeah, the window regulators are pain. The 99.5 -04's are known for having problems but mainly in the 1.8T's not the TDI's. Is it a wagon, or a sedan? Jetta's can haul a lot of stuff, wagon or sedan, period. Not that the Prius can't, but c'mon, it's a hatch, go head to head with a golf and hedge your bets!

How's your karma? VW's either like or dislike their owner, I maintain that is why so many Touraeg's catch fire and will not start! There is NO reason to buy a $50K VW - if you do, you are a doink, the whole purpose is economy :blink: I just had to move my Jetta for street cleaning tomorrow, and there is no way I'm parting with that car completely until the BlueMotion comes out!

The Prius has it's points, but so far the experiment is failing for me. I feel like I rushed into getting it, and the only saving grace is that resale on the car is good! The seats are torture! I'm only 5'11''! The prius might fair better in your hot hot weather as the TDI had NO room around the motor for cooling in the Jetta, bear in mind that AC use in the Prius dings the mileage considerably (we've had wonky weather here in Nor Cal as of late) so I've had to use the AC some days and not others. I'm not getting out of my car all dewy without a darn good reason! :lol:

SmartKey is cool on the Prius, but overall it lacks the creature comforts of the VW.

Note: I could be biased, see screenname!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ May 16 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]443837[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, NB's and ANY 1.8T is a nightmare on wheels, look at the bright side, at least you don't have the oil sludge problem, yet.

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vdubstress @ May 16 2007, 07:39 PM) [snapback]443861[/snapback]</div>
    OMG I can't believe I missed her show! :(

15. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    VW Beetle was not that comfortable for me. I am 5'4'. On even a short trip it was uncomfortable. My Interior dash and door panels, seats and convertible top were not good quality at all. The headliner kept coming down. The trunk, door hinges and locks broke, battery was bad, check engine light kept coming on, electric door locks did not work, and the comfort control module was replaced 3 times. The sockets on the blinkers were bad. The general electrical system was wonky and VW could not figure it out.

I am leaving a lot out, but the car only had 26,000 miles when I traded it. So you know I was not rough on it.

Cute only goes so far.

I got Jetta and Passat loaners, they were more comfortable, but I was not super impressed with the Jetta. Did not like the new styling on either. Passat was too expensive and needed Premium fuel.

I can't talk about the quality and wear of the prius because I have only had it 3 weeks.

It is more comfortable for me, so far.

16. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ May 16 2007, 02:59 PM) [snapback]443561[/snapback]</div>
    I hope your a non smoker.

17. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The seat thing is a total enigma to me. I'm 5'9"/170lbs and I have absolutely no problems with the seats. One of my buddies who carpools a lot with me is 6'4"/250lbs and he has no problems either. I've driven from Denver, CO to Billings, MT (it took 12 bloody hours with 2 kids :blink: <_< ) and no issues with the seats. Where do the seats cause problems? What part of the back? The arse? Is it a body type/shape thing? Only people who've survived helicopter crashes? I wonder what it is that causes so much variability in this aspect of the car.

18. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ May 16 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]443877[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, I see a lot of complaints about the seats, but my GF is very picky and has a history of back issues and she thinks they are very comfortable. We made a trip in March from Sac to San Diego and I drove the whole way with only a couple of stops.

The thing that I would like would be a height/tilt adjustment for the seat bottom. This would give me a little more headroom and a little more thigh support. I wish that someone offered the JDM or European seat w/ height adjustment - I would buy if it were reasonable.

19. vdubstress

vdubstress Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 16 2007, 07:51 PM) [snapback]443866[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah it was at the Paramount in O - Town, such a cool venue, got the tickets back in March, I'll be sure to post up about any cool upcoming shows! :D

Yeah, I know, of the four other people I know that own prius' none of them complained or even mentioned this to me. I didn't notice this on the test drive either, however Andrea (prius owner) who is the same height as me, is proportioned completely different than I, She has shorter legs and longer arms (very ape like appendages) I can only assume that since my legs are freakishly long, that is what is causing my problem!

WOW! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience! My CEL was always my own fault, three clicks on the gas cap, and it never came on! Beetles electrical system leaves a lot to be desired! It does suck that VWoA never looked at what was going on and thought "Hmmm, lets see, we have a national back order on coil packs and MAF's (all under warranty) and those 1.8T's can't seem to get oil where it is needed" to me that is just gross negligence! But, to be fair, I've seen two Matrix's occupants (seperate occasions) been burned badly by the heater core just blowing and dumping a couple liters of hot coolant on the passenger! At least in a VW you get that warning sweet smell and fogging up windows as a warning, bypass it, and then when you have a free weekend tear away at the dash to replace!

20. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ May 16 2007, 11:11 PM) [snapback]443877[/snapback]</div>
    I agree I'm 5'11 and weigh 190 and I don't think the seats are anywhere near as terrible as people say.