1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Warning lights after washing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by NEWDRIVER, Jun 28, 2020.

1. NEWDRIVER

NEWDRIVER New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Hi all, Prius Experts and users
    I just bought a used Prius 2006 model t-spirit Uk import. Here the problem is that each time after washing the car all warning lights came on and car dont go in ready mode. Then To fix this issue i remove the the wire from battery terminal and connect it again after two minutes then the car starts again and all warning lights goes off and car is in ready mode.
    What is the issue actually ?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your wiping out all the codes the car is throwing telling you exactly what its unhappy about.

usually its because your flooding the windshield with high pressure water the hood seal that seal on the edge of the water dam is bad and allowing water to dump on the top of the engine. next time that happens open the hood and look and see if the engine is wet.

Also G2's are notorious for water leaks at the top of the hatch because of cracked body seams. open the hatch that you do to remove the battery terminal and look inside the hole the 12 volt battery is sitting in with a flashlight it is probably full of water and underneath the spare tire.

Montgomery likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    probably moisture gettint into a wiring connector or similar. try washing one section of the car at a time, to find the troublespot, then investigate that area more deeply.

any water at the bottom of the 12v or spare tire?

Montgomery likes this.
  4. NEWDRIVER

NEWDRIVER New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    I checked carefully. Engine is completely dry however, there were some drops around the 12V battery. I also fixed that issue but still the problem exist. I scanned the car and found the following codes

Transmission Control ( 2 ) Abnormal
    C2300 Actuator System Malfunction Current
    C2318 Low Voltage Error(Power Supply Malfunction) Current

ABS/VSC/TRC ( 2 ) Abnormal
    C1242 Open circuit in IG1/IG2 Power Source Circuit Current
    U0293 Lost Communication With Hybrid Vehicle Control
    System
    Current

5. NEWDRIVER

NEWDRIVER New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Problem is random but sometimes when wash backside then problem more.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    water often enter at the hatch hinges, gasket, and the rain rails sometimes have cracks under the plastic strip

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    C2318 is bad 12 volt battery. Don't tell me its been tested and its ok. Replace it.

After replacement Make sure all the connections are lubricated and tight. Sand down the area on the body till you see bare metal where the battery ground lead is bolted too. Lubricate that area and bolt that ground lead down tight.

Drive for a while and scan again if any more obd codes pop up.

You may find extensive corrosion in the bottom of the battery well after you remove the battery. Clean that out best you can then pop out the rubber drain plug and drill a weep hole in it. Its a rare G2 that does not leak at the hatch seam.