1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Wave

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Linny, Jun 14, 2006.

1. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My friends thought I was crazy, then by the end of any trip, they get mad if I miss a Prius, or they yell out PRIUS!

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've only managed to get 1 wave from a fellow Prius driver. He was in another black 2006 and we were at a 4-way stop sign, he was coming from my left and made a right turn within a couple feet of me. He would have to have been blind or rude not to return my enthusiastic wave. :)

The only other sort of acknoledgement I've gotten from another Prius driver (besides the OC Prius Club meets) was when another one parked near me in a parking lot and got out of the car at the same time. As he walked past me he said "Nice car!" I said "Yours isn't so bad either!" :D

3. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

I never got a single wave here in CA, but I got my first wave at Yellowstone National Park when we took a roadtrip recently. It was a 2005 prius, pearl-blue color (I forgot the name). We waved back, while giggling like crazy.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At this point, whether I'm driving or not, I've been seamlessly
    blending "Prius!" into ordinary conversations when I spot one, and
    sometimes "Classic!" ... but on the road I don't wave but simply
    try to make eye contact, and then let it play out from there.
    Sometimes that's enough. Rarely I've gotten a wave or thumbs-up.
    Most of the prius drivers are staring ahead lost in their P&G
    zen -- I get like that too, but at least I remain aware of everything
    else around me.
    _H*

5. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lottetrouble @ Jun 15 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]271774[/snapback]</div>
    I saw this ages ago but forgot to bookmark it [​IMG] ...and now all of my Google skills notwithstanding, I can only find news stories and a few static pics--would you please post the link?

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You have to go into the Hybrid Synergy site off the main Toyota.com site. Here's the link:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/minisite/hs...s_van=GM_TN_HSD

I think the page that the 'gallons of gas saved bulletin' shows up on is a flash page (if I'm not using the incorrect internet jargon), so there's no direct link to it. :)

7. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We tried waving the first few months and used to get responses half the time. Now Prii are everywhere and if we still bothered, we'd get about 10% at best. I just wait for eye contact, then I'll wave.

Instead we now do the old slug bug game, but instead of "slug bug" we yell "meseeus a Prius".

8. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Jun 16 2006, 10:17 AM) [snapback]272281[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks--this has lotsa fun stuff! I am gonna keep looking though, 'cause I KNOW I saw some site that just went straight to the billboard...and didn't talk to me without asking permission! I HATE that if I am not expecting it! :angry: Also--it is not exactly subtle if one is at work...Not that I worry about that--I work for my husband...Nothing like job security, eh? ;)

Oh, and SLUG BUG???[​IMG]

9. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Jun 16 2006, 01:47 PM) [snapback]272303[/snapback]</div>
    Is "slug bug" the game where you look for VWs? We call it "punch buggy" here (and you get double points for a red one.)

10. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Redblue88 @ Jun 15 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]271730[/snapback]</div>

Don't worry about that. Prii drivers in the Philly area never wave back. I keep waving. Makes you feel like a real dork. Maybe I will try the high beam thing and see if that works better. At 70 mph on I95, maybe they don't see the wave.

11. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I saw one guy who must have just gotten his Prius in Lemon Grove a few weeks ago. Dude was hanging out the window waving at me. I was pre-occupied and did not see him right away...felt kind of bad. I look but I am afraid that we are becoming "routine"!

12. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Having Prii drivers wave back seems like such a distant memory... but this is encouragement to start waving more emphatically!

13. Linny

Linny New Member

Oh I just cracked up reading these responses. Looks like Prius owners who wave also have a great sense of humor!!!

Maybe at least us Prius Chat members can wave to each other (from inside the car of course)? Or maybe we need a special hand signal...akin to a secret handshake or something. Teenagers have flashed me that sort of upside down peace sign (they were smiling so I'm sure it was a good thing) and I've gotten a couple of waves. One earlier poster commented that maybe East Coast owners have lost their enthusiasm....not me! I guess you can't wave to everyone if you live in a very Prius populated area but I'm gonna keep trying here. If nothing else it's spreading a little cheer instead of road rage.

Any ideas for a unique Prius wave? Jazz hands maybe? ;)

14. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Linny @ Jun 17 2006, 07:22 AM) [snapback]272653[/snapback]</div>
    I have absolutely NO idea what I used to do before Google. Oh! So THAT'S what jazz hands are! Looks kinda difficult to do from inside a car and sitting down...I guess I'll have to watch my dvd of All That Jazz a few dozen more times! [​IMG]

15. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In my previous car, we'd wave to one another all the time. (SVT Contour) but then, we'd be lucky to see another one for a month or 2. Now, I still wave to both SVT's and Prius's.

16. stevedegraw

stevedegraw Member

Lots of Prius on the road here in So. Cal. I get quite a few waves maybe because I don't have my plates yet just the dealer tag. I wave back but don't know if they see me through the tinted windows.

The other thing I get a lot is followed on the highway by other Prius. I've seen them move over two lanes on the freeway to get behind me then slowly pass.

Prius also seem to congragte together in parking lots....maybe they can talk to each other without while thier owners are away ? Didn't see that in the manual....

17. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Karnac @ Jun 17 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]272737[/snapback]</div>
    Of course they do--how else could they carry out their mission, to pass all the intel they gather on all us godless heathens to TOTALLY ERADICATE (that is: "Toytota to Overthrow All Lefty Liberal Yankee-types and Eventually Ruin Every Democracy In The Countries That Exist) American life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as we know it. [​IMG] Weren't you on their distribution list? You didn't? OOOHHHH....You must be one of THEM....[​IMG]

18. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Having just got back from Laconia ... there are a heck of a lot more
    Harleys out on the roads than Priii, and riders often do something
    to acknowledge each others' existence in random pass-bys.
    _H*

19. Linny

Linny New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 17 2006, 10:40 AM) [snapback]272656[/snapback]</div>
    A big smile and jazz hands is my response of choice whenever anyone does something rude to me on the road. It's a lot more fun, and befuddling to the offender, than flipping a bird. It is tricky to do while moving because you cannot hold the wheel at the same time.

I've decided I'm going to just wave away even if I look like a dork. So if you see someone waving like mad in CT in their black prius....wave back!!! :D

20. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I always wave to other Prius drivers; sometimes they wave back. Today, though, for the first time (not counting people i know, of course), a prius driver waved to me first. Are you supposed to record that event in your Prius logbook? :)

p.s. please folks- no jazz hands while driving!