1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius wheel alignment in dealership?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kapaoke, Nov 2, 2012.

1. kapaoke

kapaoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When I did dealership inspection of use car that i bought.. the dealership recommended to do wheels alignment for $169? It does look like car eating more on one side of tires 17inch. I didn't do it because planing to change tires in about a year or so.
    Is it necessary to do wheel alignment in dealership or any other shop would work? Should I have done it or should wait till get new tires?
    Thanks

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My son works at a Dealership. He told me about them installing an alignment diagnostic device at the drive-in station where you leave your vehicle, so every car's alignment is checked automatically, every time you take it in.

Is it simply a way to increase how many alignments they do?
    Or is it truly needed?

I do not know. They nailed me at my next servicing and it turned a 30-minute servicing in to a 5 1/2 hour wait. I was not real happy with that.

3. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have read somewhere that after an alignment, the yaw rate and steering angle sensors will need to be rezeroed or VSC may not work properly. I don't know if there is any truth to it. If there is, the dealer would be a better place to perform these procedures. Not sure if NTB or the likes can do it.

On the other hand, I think if the alignment is too far off, the VSC light should trip, because the steering angle will grossly mismatch the yaw rate.

ForestBeekeeper likes this.