1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius window glazing color

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Arnold Fishman, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Arnold Fishman

Arnold Fishman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First posting. Sorry if this has been addressed previously. 2013 Prius—standard 3 model, nothing customized. Does anyone know why the window glazing on the side door windows/rear, is a slightly different color (warmer tone slightly grey) than the front glass (no tint)? Its a subtle thing but there is a distinctive difference when sitting inside and glancing to the side and then thru the front glass. Has anyone else noticed this? thanks all.

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    In most jurisdictions the windshield and two front side windows must have little to no tint. All windows behind the driver can be tinted. They tint them to reduce solar heat buildup.

3. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, different color. Variety is the spice of life. You'll get used to it.
    phil via Nokia

4. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Everything has been addressed previously.
    ;)

5. mountaintodd

mountaintodd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hate to start a new thread, so I'm jacking this one due to the similarity. I'm wondering exactly how much factory tint (on these doors and rear windows) is there? I would like to add more tinting to them, and NC. allows 35%. Meaning, in order to max out and stay legal (at 35%) I need to know how much is already on there? One of the places that I spoke with about doing the job said he believe's it's probably around 4-6% (I guess meaning 94-96%). I hope that makes sense, better yet someone knows the answer? Thanks for all your time and help!

6. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius has 35% tint throughout and passed NC inspection with ease. I wouldn't worry about it.

7. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That NC window tint inspection is a pain in the @ss. When I first moved there from AR I had to have all my tint redone to meet the 35%. Then I had to get 2 windows redone on two different cars because they failed. The tint was the same all around so how could 2 windows fail?? I just hope they never go to that tint inspection in PA.