1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius window tint

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Superdrol, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for the info. Did you get the windshield 50% ? likewise even if not for the color to help cut out the glare. The Midwest cam get very hot too plus lit reflects quite a bit off the dash. I get headaches from time to time from excess sun so the tint isn't just all for looks.

2. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got 20 on the rear and rear sides, 30 on the front sides and 60 on the windshield in Madico ceramic.

Here's a pic I posted in another thread that shows the difference between nothing and my windshield tint. Read my notes since I think it looks a little more blue in the pic. I'm going to try for a better pic tomorrow. I can take some of the rest of the windows if you like.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-tint-llumar-air-blue-80-a-2.html#post1092050

3. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm guessing my previous comment was deleted. Ok. Anywas I got my tint and car done. It looks good however they did not do the little window that comes factory tinted. I asked for it but they must not have heard me. Anyways yamoshi do you have a hard time seeing out the back with the little window tinted ? You had 20% put on that right ? I'm curious as to how dark that winds up being. There is actually a lot of light that comes in thru that little window and is lighting up the entire rear. Looks bad to be honest. I'm thinking about going back this weekend or something to get it done. I'm just wondering how dark that winds up being. Ur right too about the color difference. The little window is a brownish and the two tone color looks bad.

4. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you guys are putting tint on the front windshield, what about the inspection sticker every year?

5. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My state does not require that. I know that some do though. If I had that then I def would not get illegal tint.

6. SDM44

SDM44 Señor Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

I'm not yamoshi but I do have that rear part tinted on my car, also at 20% (well, 24% to be exact with dual layers for added heat rejection, but it's basically the same darkness). IMO, there is really no difference in 'darkness' when looking out your rear view mirror compared to the rear hatch glass, since the hatch glass is slanted at such an angle thus making it look darker when you look at it at ground level or through your rear view mirror. I have no problems seeing out of it during the day if it's overcast outside, or during the evening. If anything, it helps reduce the glare from headlights behind me.

You should have them apply some tint to that area, as it will help and not hinder your view at all.

7. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update. I got 20% initially and I didn't like it. Also the place I went to were jerks and they scuffed my quarter glass panel. They didn't want to fix it and I didn't mind that bc if they did a lousy job the first time I cannot expect them to do a better job the second time. We settled it I got a refund and buffed my window. It's not perfect but you cannot tell bc it is so small and buffing it softened it out. I think the prius window scratch easily and if it got down to court I couldn't "prove" it was them. I think any time I or anyone else has serious work done on the car it might be a good idea to videorecord and do a walkaroind prior just to document. FYI.

Went to another place and got limo all the way around including the little window. The darkness isn't any different than the slanted surprisingly. I really just did not like how 20% leaked in light. I think in any other car it would not have been a big deal but in the prius there is just too many windows.

In the dark or cloudy setting 5% and 20% look the same. You can tell the difference tho if there is lots of light outside.

8. yamisoshi

yamisoshi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nice. You'll have to post some pics to show the tint. I would have gone darker, but I couldn't do it when I know that the 3M film I have has a life-time warranty. So if I accidentally scratched it or it started to fade, then I can get it re-tinted.

9. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

hey sure yamisoshi, thanks again for your help by the way, i appreciate it. when i first got the 20%, the light really leaked in the front area near the driver seat, there was also a beam of light that came in thru that small window.

After i got that tinted, there was still a lot of light coming in especially during the direct sunlight. I'll take some pics and probably start a new thread with them all posted on there.

I agree though, since you got a lifetime warranty on your 3M film that's pretty good and I'd keep it.

The first place I went to use OTC sh-tty film that you buy at Autozone or some b.s. place. There was a crappy green haze to it. Also there was a lot particle dirt embedded under the film. You could run your finger across the film and feel it. Over time the particle would wiggle from opening and closing the windows and scratch the glass.

If my first job came out flawless and had 3M film I'd have just kept it, but my lousy experience etc, etc...I just decided to go with limo tint instead.

I'll take some pics tommorow during the day. I am off work tommorow.

10. Mac Guru

Mac Guru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    20 years of Prius. Having two batteries die in the hot sun on the hottest day of the year, or when I forgot to crack the windows, and or weren’t driving more than once a week.. I am convinced that the secretive battery longevity is to keep the car as cool as possible. Tinting garage and cracking the windows etc.

also I’m sure it’s been well documented here yeah going down hard shells over charges the battery for sure. I don’t see it with my wife’s 2013 but my 2005 Prius GEN 2 revs like crazy at the bottom of our hill to dispel some of the excess charge. So the rumor is that hot weather and hills bigger than 1000 feet can affect your battery longevity seem to be true. But it’s not a big deal to put one in I can show you fill in Southern California.

first battery lasted 150k miles in prius gen 1. second lasted 200k in gen 2 near and mostly due to corrosion of the ocean salt air. Replaced pack with used for $50 net and lasted four more years and 20k miles. It was a wrecked car though. Didn’t seem to be an issue. It was the heat.

11. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    20 percent is perfect for me..
    upload_2022-8-8_9-5-31.jpeg
    upload_2022-8-8_9-6-0.jpeg
    upload_2022-8-8_9-6-54.jpeg