1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Windshield Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ashb, May 12, 2015.

1. ashb

ashb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

My 2009 Prius windshield has cracked and it cannot be repaired. I need a replacement. The dealer is quoting a ridicules price. The local auto glass companies (suggested by my mechanic whom I trust) are quoiting around 250 $.

I believe Prius windshield comes with features like UV protection etc. The aftermarket glass that the local auto glass companies that I am talking with claim that the replacement glass will have the same features.

I have sensitive skin, Is there any way I can be sure? I have heard brands like “Safelite” and “Pilkington” which one is better and come close to OEM Prius glass?

Thanks for taking time to read this!
    Regards
    Ash

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you have full coverage insurance, most policies will cover the windshield at no charge.

As far as non oem glass, I really like the Pilkington, tried several and they've all been great.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently had the windshield on my 2004 replaced. There was no deductible charged (I have insurance through AAA) and the glass used was the PGW brand (Pittsburgh Glass Works, part of PPG.) I have no issues with the replacement, it looks very similar to original equipment with respect to the black border around the edge of the glass.

4. ashb

ashb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the response JC91006, do you think Pilkington glass is similar properties in terms of UV protection etc as OEM Toyota glass.

5. ashb

ashb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick. I am with AAA as well. The cost I am quoted was around 250 $, so I am not concerned about cost. I am however concerned about UV protection as I have sensitive skin. Do you think PGW glass will have same quality as OEM Toyota glass? Is PGW same brand as Pilkington ?

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have no issue with the installed PGW glass, in fact I think it has slightly less distortion than the original equipment Toyota glass.

I believe Pilkington is a UK brand, and it is different than PGW.

The Toyota glass is going to be very expensive because it 1) is made in Japan and 2) has to be shipped across the Pacific Ocean safely without breaking.

I can't say much about UV protection with regards to one windshield glass vs another, but I believe that standard window glass normally will block light at UV wavelengths, based upon doing a brief Google search.

7. Bob the Builder

Bob the Builder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

8. Bob the Builder

Bob the Builder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Safelite is junk. Pilkington is so. African made. I was in glass business and stick with PPG american glass.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pilkington So. African made? wow, traveled long ways to get here......and get is pretty cheap too.

10. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm in the market for a replacement windshield for my 2014 as well. This is the first time I need to replace a windshield, so I don't know what to look for. Can I just get an OEM one from a totaled Prius and have it put on mine?

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just go get a new one and have your insurance company pay for it. It's covered if you have full coverage......and no deductible

12. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have Mercury, so it's free if I pay my deductible of $500. Do dealerships replace windshields and use OEM? How much better are OEM windshields over aftermarket?

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Call your insurance company first and ask them about windshield damage coverage. Most companies cover this with $0 deductible. They'll advise you how much they cover, I believe they cover up to $500. Then you just to shop for one under the amount they cover....or you can buy OEM and pay the difference

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Patrick,

If it wouldn't be prying, what caused the old one to need replacement?

-Chap

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife was driving the 2004 on a trip to southern CA to visit our daughter, when the windshield got whacked hard by a rock, in the lower driver's side corner. The impact was sufficient to cause circular cracks around the impact area. A few days after she returned to AZ, the cracks grew to be several inches long so I decided it was very reasonable to have the windshield replaced.

At that time I investigated our auto insurance coverage and was amazed to find that AAA covered the replacement with no deductible. Further, the glass company that did the job actually cut me a $50 check (in essence, they were sharing part of their profit with me) so there are absolutely no complaints from me about the way this whole situation evolved.

The only issue I currently have is that the rear view mirror fell off the glass today. Part of the problem is that the mirror had a bit of a wobble when the interior of the car heats up, as the car is parked in the sun. The ambient air temp is starting to warm up around here, into the 90s.

Having the mirror wobble around for a while probably is not helpful to the bond between the glass and the mirror mount. So I have to call the glass company and ask for the mirror mount to be re-glued to the glass. Maybe the mount is worn slightly and has to be replaced.

I checked the tightness of the screw to the base and it is quite tight when the car interior is cool. I was concerned that by trying to tighten the screw when the car interior is hot, that would further weaken the base mount.

#15 Patrick Wong, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  16. stuartdole

stuartdole Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just had my windshield replaced (2010 Prius) after a rock hit the edge and a crack developed. The discounted price was $278, with $108 labor, then tax. My insurance has a $100 deductible, which was fine. It was replaced with PGW glass, but it has some distortion right in line with driver's line of sight. The shop has agreed to replace it again to see if we can fix it - it's a little funky to drive...