1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Winter Performance During West Coast Winter Storm

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hahaha great story, jay

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I probably shouldn’t make fun of the guy, he was ok. He had impeccable manners around my folks, no obvious disgusting habits like smoking, drugs, or drinking, just a wee bit slow and a real sissy about the weather. I’m sure if I went from our current weather conditions to +40 C with 85% humidity, I’d probably hide inside with the air conditioning

Actually, my folks really liked the guy. When my mom suddenly passed away several years ago, my dad sent him a letter about it. He seemed genuinely sorry and upset if his 3 page letter in reply was any indication. His English sure was better

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, Pearl did fine yesterday, as I expected. Man the roads were icy though. Funny to see cars seemingly in slow motion, sliding along. I tripped the VSC and audio warning turning off the Yellowhead. Nice drift along the off-ramp. The city had been out early spreading gravel, but it was knocked off the wheel tracks in each lane. I straddled the clear parts to keep Pearl's wheels on the grit and had NO problems. As expected, because Pearl was plugged in, the trip out was nice and warm. The trip back, however, was not. Pearl just got up to 50C coolant by the time I got home, whereas she got the coolant up to 60C on the way out.

I think I need to get on the highway at higher speeds to get her fully warmed up in those temps (-30C). It's a "heat wave" today, with temps climbing up into the low -20s! ;) It's supposed to get up to -6C in the next few days. Shirtsleeve weather! :)

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't get why people live in such conditions. It's like the people who sit at the rainy end of the stands at sporting fixtures, they only sit in the rain because all the dry seats are taken. Were all the warm seats taken?
    I almost only own short sleeve shirts.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh, it isn't all Doom and Gloom. The frozen, snow covered landscape can actually be pretty. Especially if you see Rime ice on trees. Or when you see an actual ice "rainbow" around the sun in certain bitterly cold weather conditions

There is also something exciting about living in a climate where if the technology fails, you freeze to death

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Despite the apparent dearth of scenery, the Prairies have a certain charm, even in Winter. Besides, many people would find the steady heat of Australia unbearable, so each to their own. I like all four seasons, though if pressed, I'd admit I prefer the snow stay on the mountains where it belongs. I can always visit on weekends. :)

Building technology has come a long way since the days of sod houses, but there's still something we can learn from the past. An earth sheltered home with big South-facing windows would be much cheaper to heat and cool than the typical modern home. Add in a ground loop heat pump, and those big cats of Jay's would be comfy all year.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I absolutely agree an earth sheltered house is the best way to go, in both a hot climate AND a cold climate

I have a good compromise with Insulated Concrete Form walls that are 12 inches thick. My ceiling panels are Structural Insulated Panel, with two batt layers of Roxul mineral wool above

With SIP, it's incredibly important to ensure proper moisture control inside the home, to have the attic properly vented, and to ensure the panel joins are absolutely airtight. Otherwise you can experience SIP rot, which has happend to some public housing in Anchorage, Alaska

With a well built home, south facing windows that have overhangs to shelter the summer sun, the structure is very easy to heat even at -40. The cats usually sleep in the sun during the day, I have a kitty "tree" up against the window.

At night the cats transfer that stored warmth to me. Way better than an electric blanket

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe it's called a sun dog if you can see two bright spots on either side of the sun (and sometimes they connect with that rainbow you speak of)

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well heck, just got home from work, its snowing again, got about 2"... hopefully it will warm up and be gone by tomorrow

11. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yeah im surprised i made it up willingdon hill in burnaby when cops are there at the scene turning attention to stuck vehicles... go three seasons!

I should have gotten them x ices 2 for 105 CAD when i had the chance... boy im a fool!

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds very pretty, I’ll come have a look some day. But I suspect I’ll be glad to know home is warmer.

There is no steady heat here. In winter it's cold, maybe max 13C in summer it can get hot, maybe a max of 40C but only for a few days. Most days are quite pleasant. Non native trees still drop their leaves in autumn and frost forms on the grass on the coldest winter mornings.

My home has 3, 6' x 6' north facing windows to catch the sun and a 4' wide veranda to shade them in summer. It's normally dry here in summer so a swampy air cooler ducted into every room keeps the house more than comfortable all summer and a small gas heater looks after the winter cold. [​IMG]

I kind of like living somewhere where there are 4 seasons rather than 2, winter and August.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Correct, technically a Parhelion. Sad thing is, most folks have never seen one

14. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have seen many. Sun dogs usually are formed of ice crystals in the air, forming the illusion of a rainbow, or the two bright arcs on either side of the sun, when you look towards it. The conditions required for ice crystals to hang in the air that much/long, usually means it is REALLY FREAKIN' COLD!

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yepyep lol.

Yesterday was a freaking mess. It snowed and rained and snowed and well it couldn't make up its mind. There was slush and ice everywhere and I'm sure caught a lotta people by surprise (we were expecting straight rain.... the rain cooled the temps down 2 degrees and that was enough to change it back to snow). My flight got cancelled and so did my replacement flight. Ugh.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Heavy

Drinking

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And how! Like, -34 C

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll be cancelling my own flight LOL

ah well.. things have cleared up

19. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wasn't that freak storm last night fun? I foolishly volunteered to pick up some relatives from the ferry terminal in Tsawwassen, thinking it would be wet and a bit breezy. Oh man, I don't want to experience that again. The snow was literally blowing sideways, and people were fishtailing and spinning out all over the place. I have never seen so much snow in such a short time. Amazingly, I did fine until the first decent hill about three blocks from home. Even then, it was all the other people stuck in front of me that was the problem. I found a convenient spot to park and walked home, then went back this morning to dig out the car. Of course, I was the only one able to make it in to work today. Snowboots never fail.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no kidding. All major streets were fubar'd. People were spinning their tyres on the iced-up tracks (not good ppl... cause you're just polishing it up for everyone else).

I had no problems once again (Thank you Nokian!!!!) and just went up and down the streets to grab dinner with no drama at all. The streets really were icy as the snow wasn't compacting into compact snow as the cars drove over, they were just turning into ice.

Vis was down to 1/2 statute mile at one point (which then makes it moderate snow rather than light snow).