1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius wire color code

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by TheForce, Apr 16, 2006.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a voltage color code some where in the tech docs for the prius? If there is can someone point me to the book / page number? If it does not have one can someone post or email me with a voltage color code?

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The 200v lines are generally orange.

3. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Usually "red" is positive, and "black" is negative or ground when dealing with 12 volt DC systems. But this probably isn't what you want - however your question is kind of vague....

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the only color code is: orange= high voltage death, yellow= airbag system.

5. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well does all the electronics use one or two voltages and the rest of the colors carry data information? There are many different colors and I was assuming that they would carry diffrent voltages. Kind of like red being 5 volt and yellow being 12 volt ect... Does the prius follow a color code for voltages for all the colors or just a few? I'm just wondering if there would be a lower or higher voltage I could tap into for someting.

I've never worked on a car before and i'm starting to get into modding the prius so I dont know that much about car wiring.

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HV wires are usually orange, at least where they pass between major
    modules. Everything else is all over the map. In the Prius, power
    supply wires can be just about any color, and many ground wires are
    WHITE with a black stripe but that's not necessarily consistent
    either. Forget anything you thought you knew about typical color
    assignments in 12V systems when working on this car. Get the EWD
    and associated documents from TIS, it's all in there.
    _H*

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wiring harnesses contain different color wires simply to differentiate which wire in the harness does which function.

the radio wiring is pretty universalized. red= power black= ground, but the harness that plugs into the back of the radio won't match those.

probing the wrong wire can fry a computer by backfeeding .5v into it- make absolutely sure you've got the EWD to double check everything before moving ahead with your mods.

8. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well does the EWD have voltages listed for the wires? Maybe I just dont know how to read them? I did not see anything about voltages in any of the diagrams that I looked up.

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the EWD as drawn shows the system with the car in "off" mode. as part of each section's circuit diagram is a system outline explaining what current is going to do when the circuit is activated. it's the job of the person looking it up to determine whether any of the activation conditions are met and determining if the circuit is functioning properly. the system outline will tell you what the voltages should be if the system is activated.

the "service hints" section will clearly indicate the conditions i was talking about above- to clairfy further.

another hint: don't use a test light- get a logic probe.