1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius with 193K miles and repeatedly dying 12V: repair or donate?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KEF, Jul 14, 2015.

1. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    battery won't charge correctly without good mechanical contact at the posts. I've seen that on many cars. and poor contact of the ground cable at the body causing problems...

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Tightening torque is around 4-5 ft.-lb. I don't understand why you are concerned about breaking the terminals. The battery posts are not going to break. The terminal clamps are made of steel. You would have to try really hard to damage them - and if you do, then buy replacements from your Toyota dealer parts counter.

2. The battery voltage sounds pretty good. Yes, the test is how it behaves under load.

3. KEF

KEF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, everyone. I am expecting my various parts, cleaning brushes, etc. to arrive tomorrow. As I recall the things that surround and clamp to the battery posts are soft, like lead, and visibly distorted upon being tightened. I feared it might crack. I will take close-up pictures of my work and my Prius' various parts tomorrow and will post the pix here. If stuff needs to be replaced I can certainly buy it. My wife's family purchased this car used with about 40k miles on it, and it is possible that the previous owner modified some aspects of the vehicle.

I'm curious if anyone has thought to wire a volt meter to the 12V accessory battery and mounted the display somewhere in the rear of the car. I wonder if it is possible to do this in a way that wouldn't kill the battery. It would be nice if there were a convenient way to see the battery's level of charge at a glance, every time you opened the hatch.There's a Mini VCI cable and software headed my way from Hong Kong. Doubt I'll need it to resolve this particular issue, but I'm sure I'll find uses for it in time.

#43 KEF, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  4. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The extra termnails may have leakage to ground that were I would check first.the charge system is working otherwise battery would die very short time. Leakage to ground

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's so easy to check the voltage under the hood, it's not worth hardwiring something. in a healthy car, it never needs checking, so to pop the hood and fuse box cover in times of need is not a heavy burden.

6. KEF

KEF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    disregard this post

7. KEF

KEF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My work in progress. Here's a photo of the positive terminal for the battery, discussed earlier in this thread. Note the distortion of the soft metal. Is this the stock battery connection that comes with the Prius?
    2015-07-17 11.34.07 (1024x576).jpg

Photos of negative ground wire and screw, pre-cleaning:
    2015-07-17 11.34.26 (576x1024).jpg 2015-07-17 11.38.30 (1024x576).jpg 2015-07-17 11.39.28 (576x1024).jpg 2015-07-17 11.51.40 (1024x576).jpg 2015-07-17 11.52.11 (1024x576).jpg

Items sanded, wire-brushed, and cleaned with an anti-corrosion battery cleaner product:
    2015-07-17 12.08.20 (1024x576).jpg 2015-07-17 12.11.57 (1024x576).jpg

Photos of some of the wiring. Note the electrical tape. Don't know if that's an after-purchase mod by the previous owner of the car:
    2015-07-17 12.08.42 (1024x576).jpg 2015-07-17 12.09.07 (1024x576).jpg 2015-07-17 12.10.00 (1024x576).jpg

Battery post cleaned, sanded, and sprayed with a Pemtex anti-corrosion product. I've also sprayed the pos and negative terminal wires, and the negative wire's connection to the car battery.
    2015-07-17 12.10.57 (576x1024).jpg

Let me know if any of this looks out of sorts.

koolingit and bisco like this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am not sure whether this is the original equipment terminal clamp. Looking at the photo, it is not clear whether the side of the bolt head (left side of the photo) will lock in place against the clamp? If the bolt head is too big to be held by the clamp, then the bolt probably is aftermarket.

9. KEF

KEF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It fits OK, the angle on the last photo was a little unclear. See here:
    2015-07-17 13.31.47 (576x1024).jpg 2015-07-17 13.31.55 (576x1024).jpg

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That looks pretty good.

1. Was the positive terminal covered with a red plastic cover? That is original equipment.
    2. Did you determine the purpose of the wire harness connector in the second photo, post #49 - or was it just left loose and floating around?
    3. Are you having any trouble getting the positive terminal clamp to be adequately tight? Use a 10 mm open end or box end wrench to tighten. Assuming the wrench is only 6" long, you would need to exert around 10 lb of pressure on the end of the wrench to achieve adequate tightening torque.
    4. Attach the negative clamp to the battery terminal and tighten it, prior to installing the battery, since it is hard to access the negative terminal when the battery is in place. Then you can just attach the negative wire to the body after you've done #3 above. The negative side always is the last to be tightened (and the first to be removed) so that if you short the positive terminal to body ground, no harm is caused.

#50 Patrick Wong, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  11. KEF

KEF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Battery is back in the car and I am going to attempt parasitic draw tests now; hopefully I don't kill the fuse in my multitesters. Battery reads 12.89V this morning outside of the car (after being off the charger for 2 days) and reads 12.85 at the jump point under the hood now that the battery is installed in the car. Answering your questions and offering a bit more information:

2015-07-17 13.58.25 (576x1024).jpg 2015-07-17 14.07.10 (1024x576).jpg

You can see that I've winched down the positive clamp pretty much as tightly as it will go in an effort to insure a good connection. The clamp is snug and does not move if I attempt to twist it with my hand.

1. Yes, the positive terminal has the red plastic cover.
    2) Not sure, see my second photo in this post. I did follow online instructions for dissasembly/reassembly.
    3) I'm pretty sure I've tightened the positive terminal adequately as described earlier in this message.
    4) I had completed the work when I read your post, so I didn't follow your sensible instructions. However, I don't seem to have screwed anything up yet.

I want to proceed with the parasitic draw tests. People have described a method where you test at the jump point at the front of the car, and another method where you hook the meter up directly to the 12V battery. Any input on which would be better? I don't want to blow my meter by opening a door whilst measuring milleamperes, and as it is approaching 100 degrees here I don't think I want to stick myself in the back of the Prius for 10 or 15 minutes, so the under-the-hood method would seem better if it is sufficiently accurate.

If I need to start pulling fuses, are all the fuses under the hood, or are there fuses in the cabin as is typical with other Toyota models?

I do have the Prius wiring diagrams and service manuals to consult if necessary.

12. KEF

KEF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    dolj posted something in message #36 suggesting that I use a multimeter measuring volts and a clamp-on multimeter measuring milliamperes. I have several clamp-on multimeters, and I even ordered the alligator clip leads he suggested I might need . His method seems by far the easiest, I will give it a try.

13. KEF

KEF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ah, rats, I just figured out that my clamp multimeters do not measure DC amperage (as near as I can tell; this was actually the first time I was going to have a use for these meters,which I bought quite cheaply at Harbor Freight). I'm going to have to get my measurement another way.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, many clamp meters only measure AC current.

You can connect the multimeter directly to the 12V battery or at the main relay/fuse box next to the inverter if your car does not have an alarm system where the hood is a monitored item.

If your multimeter has a 10A current capacity then you should not exceed that when connecting the meter inline. You could turn off the cabin lights and the hatch light to further reduce the potential current draw while a door or the hatch is opened.

There are two main places to find the fuses: in the relay/fuse box next to the inverter and the relay/fuse box under the instrument panel, driver's side.

Regarding your #2 in post #51, that connector is attached to the brake emergency power supply and is standard equipment. The purpose of that is to provide 12V power for a brief period to allow you to stop the car if the DC/DC converter fails. The power supply is composed of a bank of large capacitors.

15. KEF

KEF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Quick results: the car appears to be drawing between 28 ma and 33 ma at rest, but it would be wise to have someone with actual experience check my method and work. Details and photos follow.

I McGuyvered up a parastic draw test using the method of disassembling the positive jump terminal under the hood and inserting the meter between the cable part and the stud part via some alligator clip leads. I am vaguely aware of some risks to the car by playing around on the positive terminal, and after taking the pictures below, I wrapped the various contacts up in cloth.

2015-07-17 16.20.06.jpg 2015-07-17 16.05.13.jpg
    (the blue thing in the picture above is the insulative handle of a pair of needlenose pliers -- I'm using it to make sure the stud and the wire don't connect. Alligator clips lead away and connect to the multitester's leads.)

2015-07-17 16.05.26.jpg

2015-07-17 16.19.42.jpg

Assuming I'm using the meter correctly and have wired this appropriately, it bounces around between 28 ma and 33 ma. This is after leaving the car undisturbed for 10-15 minutes. I will test again in an hour. Curiously, when I first turn the meter on, it reads "OL" for a few seconds before beginning to read appropriate values.

I do not have an electronics background so leave the possibility open in your minds that I might have done something completely wacky: you might want to check the scale and settings on the multimeter readout, for instance.

Thoughts? ~30ma is a bit higher than the 20 ma or below that people suggest should be the normal draw. Can people suggest next steps?

#55 KEF, Jul 17, 2015
  16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your meter is auto ranging and you are using the mA position. So it might start out at a relatively low current range while the actual current flow may be 2A or 3A initially. The result is that the meter overloads, as indicated by the OL indication. If you used the 10A position you might not get the OL indication and the current reading will not show as many decimal places.

Your measurement process is reasonable. You can just leave the meter connected and then come back in an hour to see if there is any change. Also make sure that your Smart fob is well away from the car.

Yes, if 30 mA is the final reading, it is slightly high. After you've taken your final reading, you could reattach the wire to the stud and tighten the 10 mm nut to 4 or 5 ft.-lb. Then you could measure the current at the battery itself to see if there is any difference with the hood, hatch, and the four doors closed and locked. Place the meter where you can see it when the hatch is closed.

After you've established the baseline reading, if it remains 30 mA then the root cause will not be easy to identify since the incremental current flow is so minor.

I would suggest that you see how the car behaves with all battery connections nice and tight. Considering you are driving the car 24K miles annually, the battery really should enjoy a long life regardless of whether the quiescent current draw is 20 mA or 30 mA.

The Classic Prius quiescent current draw is in the range of 30 mA. After many owners complained about short 12V battery life, Toyota's solution was to spec a larger Ah capacity battery along with a larger battery tray to hold that battery. However, in your case since the car is driven so many hours daily, the battery should stay well-charged.

#56 Patrick Wong, Jul 17, 2015
  17. KEF

KEF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks very much, Patrick. We left the Prius alone for some hours and upon returning the meter continues to read between 27 and 31 ma. You mentioned testing at the battery itself. One concern: if I open the hatch or a door to place the meter, and turn it on so that I can see the value when the hatch is closed, don't I run a risk of blowing the fuse in the meter while the hatch is open?

I am guessing this latest spate of problems were related to the extremely loose connection I discovered at the positive terminal: as I mentioned earlier, I was able to pull it off without even loosening the nut. Since I now know how to easily test the voltage on the battery, and to test the quiescent current draw, I should be able to keep a close eye on this over coming months. I am hoping the careful work I did to make sure all connections are clean and tight will resolve this issue.

18. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    opening the hatch shouldn't draw more than 10A, so your meter fuse should be fine. I would turn the dome and cargo lights off first anyway. of course, Benzes have a much larger battery, but 60mA was not uncommon at rest. I bet your problem was the loose + terminal all along

19. KEF

KEF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. One other question: does anyone have experience with clamp-on multimeters capable of measuring milliampere DC currents? Are they sensitive enough for the kind of work I'm trying to do here?

I notice that Amazon.com offers "cheap" DC-capable clamp-on multimeters that measure milliamperes for between $100 and $150 (e.g. the GTC CM100 1 mA to 100 Amps AC/DC Low Current Clamp Meter or the ESI 687 80 Amps DC/AC Low Current Probe/DMM). The fine folks at Fluke also offer a low-current DC-capable meter for $700.

Seven hundred bucks is too rich for my blood but I would be happy to pay $100-$150 for a meter that helped me keep an eye on issues of the sort I've been working through. Reading through Amazon's reviews, it wasn't clear to me whether the lower-cost clamp-on low-current meters were sufficiently accurate for my needs.

20. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you would need to find the specifications for the meter of interest and see what the claimed accuracy is. Usually the spec is a percentage of full scale reading.
    CM100: 100A AC/DC Current Clamp Meter from  General Technologies Corp.

In this particular case, note that the spec is cited in terms of digit count as well as percentage. An error of 10 digits results in a 10% error at a measurement value of 100, plus the 2.5% spec.

It may be premature for you to invest in a clamp meter if the only use you can foresee for it is on this specific problem. It would be useful to have a clamp meter if you were researching other issues - such as how much current is flowing to/from the Prius traction battery, seeing how much current your home air conditioner compressor is drawing, etc.

While you have the hatch open as you are trying to hook up the meter to the battery, I would expect the initial current would be around 2-3A.

#60 Patrick Wong, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015