1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius with 193K miles and repeatedly dying 12V: repair or donate?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KEF, Jul 14, 2015.

1. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm sure you can find a fluke for less than 700. a multimeter is just good to have anyway.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What I did: Salvaged an dual wire lead (from an old, cheapy timing scope) with alligator clips at one end, about 3' long.

At the non-clip end I separated the two wires, stripped about an inch of insulation off, and taped it down to the garage floor, near the hatch opening, with the two ends carefully separated.

Then open the hatch, dig down to battery, disconnect negative cable at the post, tie it away and secure.

Connect the alligator clips of salvaged lead: one to negative post, one to end of negative cable clamp (still connected to car body at other end).

Then gently close hatch on lead, ensure all other doors are closed, wait 20 minutes, with fobs well away from case. Then connect up multimeter, in milliampere mode, to the two bare lead ends, taped to garage floor, and get reading.

Mine was around 16~18 milliamperes, with occasional spikes to around 40. Not sure what the latter was; maybe the security icon that flashes on the dash.

#62 Mendel Leisk, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  3. KEF

KEF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All seems well -- looks like a fix! Checks by multimeter on the neg terminal of the battery confirm that there's no undue parasitic draw. And I've put a multimeter in the glove compartment and have been monitoring the health of the battery after every drive. While I was repairing the car, the battery's charge drifted down to about 12.8 after days of non-use, but my wife drove the Prius on the long route to and from work today, and when she returned the battery read something like 13.19. Looks like it's charging as it should. I turned keyless entry on a couple of days ago and have replaced the battery in one of the key fobs (the second fob appears to be water damaged and I'm going to have a go at reprogramming a factory new fob via the "chicken dance.")

My able assistant Sam extends his thanks to the group for bringing his Prius back from the brink (he's repairing our 1993 Camry here, but I'm quite sure his inspiration was all of the work we did together on the Prius):

E88A3533.JPG

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. So the bottom line is that loose battery cables appear to be the root cause of your car's problems?
    2. Good to hear that the Smart Entry/Smart Start system is working with one fob.
    3. Cute photo. I hope you have cautioned your assistant about the corrosiveness of battery acid...and that a hammer is very rarely a proper tool to use in auto repair...

5. KEF

KEF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm guessing the problem was either the loose positive cable, or the fairly heavy corrosion on the negative terminal and cable. Hard to say for sure: I sanded and cleaned everything down quite exhaustively, so it may have been a combination of things.

We have also noted a propensity by my able assistant to turn various lights on, prop open various doors, and depress various buttons inside the car. We now have a protocol where we check all doors and lights before we retire for the night. This evening, I noticed young Sam propped open my Camry's door, and turned on two lights in the Prius...

With that in mind, I'll surely heed your warnings about hammering on various car parts. Here's a few more pictures of Sam hard at work. The awesome part was the absolute certainty with which he effected his repairs: he would pick out a certain part, put it in place, and hammer or adjust for long minutes until he was satisfied the job was truly done. He worked diligently for at least fifteen minutes. Indeed at one point Sam insisted that I go back inside the house to retrieve his toy screwdriver. Essential!

E88A3531.JPG E88A3533 (800x600).jpg E88A3551.JPG E88A3571 (1024x683).jpg E88A3563.JPG E88A3576 (1024x702).jpg

Attached Files:

#65 KEF, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    gdanner likes this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's great - I hope that youthful energy and enthusiasm will persist as Sam gets older so that you and your wife will enjoy free car washes, auto repairs, etc etc. :ROFLMAO:

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess this car is no longer being donated.

8. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    whadda ya mean??? hammering on cars is the best part. nothing gives me more joy than hitting a Benz with a 4lb hand sledge. but then I've never seen one put in the crusher. I can only imagine the ecstasy.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What do you mean?

[​IMG]

10. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    normally, I'm hitting worn out ball joints and brake rotors...

11. KEF

KEF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wanted to offer a happy update to this long-lost thread. The Prius in question has run without flaw for another 11,000 miles since the group collectively fixed it last summer, and has not required any other repairs. We've moved to SoCal in the intervening time and the car made the 400 mile journey without complaint. Bought a mini VCI cable around the time we did the other repairs, but I haven't had cause to use it. The car is now approaching 205k miles: any bets on what the next part I'll be fixing might be?

Thanks again to everyone for the help diagnosing this, it's nice to have a "free" prius for kicking around SoCal.