1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius with a few codes: need advice

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by PriusWI, Jan 27, 2013.

1. PriusWI

PriusWI New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a friend who is not mechanically incline at all and he was having some trouble with his 2001 prius with 167000k.

The parking break would randomly come on whole driving down the road and he would have to pull over and turn the car off and back on to drive again.. It's getting low to average gas mileage around 30 mpg. It recently had the cat replaced with a standard non prius cat, and and apparently the hv battery was replaced or refurbished at around 90k. The triangle light came on but the car still drives fine. They took it in to the dealer and the dealer said it needs a new battery for $4000.

The dealer offered them 300 to trade it in. I told them that I could part it out and get more then that so they GAVE it to me because they don't even own a single tool.

The codes the dealer gave were
    P3000 Battery control system
    P3006 levels unusually different
    P3022 block 12 becomes weak
    P0420 cat threshold something

From reading on here for a while I understand that the driving and braking issues are most likely related to the failing hv battery, correct?

I also understand that block 12 being bad is just one of 38 cells that is bad?

I have never worked on a prius, however I am very mechanically inclined, and do have some experience working with high voltages, so I do understand the risks.

I guess my options are:
    1. Part out the remaining good cells, and and take the body to a scrap yard and get a few hundred bucks for scrap metal.

2. Purchase a rebuilt battery from a place like reinvolt and hope to sell it for more than the cost of a new battery.

3. Buy an individual charged cell off of eBay, replace it and try to sell it.

4. Try to sell it as is to someone who would be willing to fix it. How much would a good prius with a failing battery sell for anyways?

I don't need or want the car to drive myself, I just want to make money off of it in an honest way, (I plan on splitting anything net off of the car with the person who gave it to me.)

What would you do?
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks

2. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    where abouts are you located. this would be a nice little project car. im in PA

3. PriusWI

PriusWI New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm located in Wisconsin.

4. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Aww man, bummer, a little too far. I have seen tho these cars going for about 1500 on Ebay with battery problems

yotatoter likes this.
  5. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I would do that

usnavystgc likes this.
  6. PriusWI

PriusWI New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yeah but if I could replace just the one bad cell for 50 then couldn't I sell it for much more...

7. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yeah you could do that, but it's probably a block, which is 2 cells put together. So I would get 2 cells

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Walk away. There comes a time when a car reaches the end of its design life.

If someone here volunteers to drive up and tow or trailer it away, be gracious. But I would not put any more money into that car unless I planned to keep it up and drive it. I don't hear that sort of commitment.

Bob Wilson

9. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    You can sell it but I would make sure you are honest with the buyer, there are laws out there that could bite you in the bum if you are dishonest in the ad

10. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    How many miles are on the car

11. PriusWI

PriusWI New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    167000 miles.. Keep in mind it does still run, and I haven't put a penny into it. So it doesn't seem to be to high of a risk to attempt to repair the battery... If I get half way through and I can't figure it out, then I'd just part it out I guess..

If I do sell it I would be as transparent and honest as I could be about it... Like you mentioned they sell on ebay with bad batteries...

So the real options are sell as is... Or try to repair the battery and sell a little more..

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    To me, the biggest risk is having to depend upon the dealer reported codes. If you start working on the car and something else goes bad, well there you are with the car and the dealer is where?

If you do start working on the car, I would recommend getting a Prius aware scanner. Then at least you can get feedback on what is or isn't working. Given low Prius experience, I would recommend something more 'turn key' like AutoEnginuity. The alternative are the Chinese knockoffs of TechStream-lite but I have no experience with them . . . others report success.

You might also consider getting the manuals to know what goes where.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

PriusWI likes this.
  13. PriusWI

PriusWI New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I was already planning on getting a repair manual for the car, and a scan tool for it if I decide to begin to work on it. Luckily I live less than a mile from a prius certified Toyota dealer, but I would prefer not to have to use them.

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you were to repair and use the car for one calendar year along with the manual and scanner, I would consider it 'tuition' in the school of hard knocks. It means you would be able to mitigate the costs by the fuel savings and knowledge gained. Then sell it in the Spring of 2014 either to get a better Prius or call it 'graduation.' Worse comes to worse, give it back to the current owner with 'thanks!'

Intellectually, having a Prius to work on and drive with a scanner is one of the best ways to find out what this hybrid stuff is all about. That does NOT MEAN you have to keep it but treat it as Hybrids 101. You'll learn more than you can possibly imagine.

When I bought our first Prius in 2005, the 2003 model, I really considered cars boring. But along the way, I began to learn what works and doesn't work. I've become a defacto gear-head. The knowledge gained actually means I can appreciate quality versus crap, ordinary ICE engine cars. I never expected that my best 'hobby' friends would become the most advanced petro-heads at work ... the only people who understand my ramblings about car engineering.

One year plus the Spring with an NHW11 will teach you more about cars than I can possibly express because you'll see the data and what actually is going on . . . if you really want to know.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

PriusWI likes this.
  15. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I would get a scanguage 2 that does everything for like 150. i have one. that can even monitor individual cell block voltages. which would greatly help you in your case. it will also pull codes from them hybrid system.

16. PriusWI

PriusWI New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    would I be able to use the torque app along with a bluetooth obb plug to gather the same information?

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Eventually but my reading of the recent thread is progress is being made but it isn't clear everything is there ... yet.

Bob Wilson

18. PriusWI

PriusWI New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    hmm...I'd like that as it seems more useful and user friendly than a scanguage 2.

Bob, would you recommend using a scanguage as opposed to the other options you listed earlier. Or a better questions is, based on what I'm planning on doing do you believe it would be adequate?

My plan, after driving the car for a day is to do a scaled down version of what you said earlier, Bob.

I'm planning on rebuilding the battery, and drive it with either a scanguage, or the torque app running (if that gets up and running) for a few months to make sure no other issues jump out right away.

I am very knowledgeable when it comes to traditional gas/diesel powered cars, so I am currently enjoying learning about a different type of car. I am extremely grateful for your input and knowledge, and I will keep this updated with any progress.

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

PriusWI and scotman27 like this.
  20. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am in the area and can talk with you more about it when I return from vacation in a couple of weeks.
    I run the local hybrid car club so there may be someone interested.
    I can help you out.