1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius with ABS VSC (!) and constant buzzer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by alikhan18, Aug 31, 2017.

1. alikhan18

alikhan18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well
    Problem: i went to car wash today. after car wash every thing was normal started my car n was on my way to home. in my way had a stop for checking up tyre pressures from tyre shop with engine running n AC on. when i returned to car i saw all dash was lit up with buzzer sound. i imediatlly switch off n then on the car but prob was there. then removed the 12 v battery for several min but even then prob was there. one thing more brakes are really hard to apply plus buzzer starts for 4 - 5 seconds again when i pull out key from holder.

Histroy:
    its 2008 T3 toyota prius with 78000 miles on it.
    previous history of replacing my ABS unit an year ago. dash light are of same when i had ABS issue of pressure leakage. but this time brakes are not applied suddenly plus in ABS issue buzzer used to get off after i travelled a mole but in todays problem buzzer wont off
    HELPPPPP

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    was it the kind of carwash that required you to put the car in neutral?

3. alikhan18

alikhan18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no it was parked using P button. it was manual car wash n i wash engine compartment followed by air pressure to wipe out any water.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    washing the engine compartment isn't recommended. maybe some time in the sun with the hood open would help.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The warning lights and buzzer are on, so this is a straightforward matter of reading the codes from the brake computer to learn what the trouble is, then fixing it. That it happened at the car wash could be mere coincidence, but after knowing what the issues are, it will be easier to say.

If you don't have a suitable code reader, you're in luck, brake codes on a Gen 3 can also be blinked out on the dash lights, all you need is a jumper wire.

There are dozens of possible brake trouble codes, but only about a half dozen of them (IIRC) considered so severe that they trigger the buzzer. So that already narrows the possibilities somewhat. The conditions triggering the buzzer are mostly those to do with failure to reach or maintain the proper assist pressure, which you can tell is a real issue, because you can feel that you don't have brake assist.

So, your car needs something repaired, and it is ready to tell you the details, and then you'll know where to go from there.

-Chap

MilkyWay likes this.
  6. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is gen 2 forum....But recently I had Brake/ABS/VSC on and went to O'Reilleys....plugged scanner in...ran ABS codes...The code was for a rear right ABS sensor.

Bought $80 wheel bearing that included sensor at O'Reilleys (it was very cheap online but I was impatient). Shop charged $75 to put on and problem was resolved. YMMV

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    T3, does that mean you imported it from the UK?

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In your case, did that right rear ABS sensor code cause the alarm buzzer to go off? Only a small subset of codes are programmed to do that. If it wasn't sounding in your case, that would be a dead giveaway that the OP in this thread is having a different issue reported, to which your case is unrelated.

-Chap

9. alikhan18

alikhan18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so this is what obd 2 read initially

Attached Files:

10. alikhan18

alikhan18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    then after clearing the codes only one left and that is mentioned in below pic

Attached Files:

11. alikhan18

alikhan18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hey
    plz see below pix and advice

12. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    had the same happen one of the ABS sensors got water in the connector where it plugs into the back by the wheel hub... .. I removed mine and hit them with a hair dryer.. dried the connector then put electrical tape over it.. been ok since

fotomoto likes this.
  13. alikhan18

alikhan18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    did u get same codes as above in pic?
    plus did ur brakes get hardened i mean was it hard to apply brakes???

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The code shown in this thread is for a wheel cylinder pressure sensor. While it's understandable someone might guess the wheel cylinder pressure sensor is near the wheel cylinder, it's not. It's one component of the ABS actuator assembly under the hood and cowl.

As to why there is a code for that sensor, the various possibilities just have to be sorted through to find the one that applies. The things to check are in the repair manual. Is the alarm still sounding?

-Chap

fotomoto likes this.
  15. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If brake actuator the best bet is to drop off to toyota dealership and have them diagnose. Call first and see if your VIN qualifies for the extended warranty through 10 years / 150K miles.