1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius with acceleration and fuel consumption problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dolph Fitness, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Dolph Fitness

Dolph Fitness New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello everyone,

I am writing to comment on the problem of my Pius 2007 with 67k miles, the problem is that it does around 30MPG and the acceleration does not respond well, I put the accelerator thoroughly and the second starts to raise the engine revolutions, recently I passed the ODB2 scanner which shows no errors at all except in the ABS brake system, power steering, and air conditioning. I have already changed spark plugs, oil and engine filter, air filters, fuel cap, 12V auxiliary battery with 14v tested, the MAF sensor was cleaned and the throttle body also.

If someone can give me a hand I will thank you very much

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    to start, you need a prius aware scanner. mini vci and a compatable laptop. have there been any dash lights?

3. Dolph Fitness

Dolph Fitness New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks bisco,

I don't have that, just a wifi odb2 scanner with Torque App. I will buy mini vci

At dash no lights at all, just with the scanner give me P0A1D/$07, U0111/$07EA, U0293/$07E8, C1311, C1378, C1241, C1249, C1259, C1310, C1311, C1378. A lot related with lose conector with aux 12v battery.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tech stream will give you the proper sub codes, and you can subscribe to toyota tech info fot 2 days for $15.
    it will walk you through the codes and troubleshooting tree, if someone here can't help.
    in the meantime, put the car in ready, and check the inverter reservoir to make sure the fluid has some movement. also check the 12v when it is cold and everything off, and the neg cable to body connection.
    all the best!(y)

Dolph Fitness likes this.
  5. Dolph Fitness

Dolph Fitness New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, bisco

Now I'm finding the mini vci, so when I have it, I will try and update for results

bisco likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have not eliminated the 12V battery as a problem. If you got 14V, then you checked it with the car running and the charging system puts out 14 volts. No battery will read 14V with the car off. It should read approximately 12.5 volts, give or take a few tenths. All batteries will read 14V with the car running. Unless there is a problem with the charging system.

If the 12V battery is failing, the engine will work harder trying to charge it, which will hurt your mileage more than one would think. Also, a failing 12V battery can give fault codes since the voltage is too low for some sensors to work properly.

I'm not saying that's the problem, but it certainly could be.

7. Dolph Fitness

Dolph Fitness New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, thanks for your reply, It means 14v just for battery, now with the car running give me 12.4V that it's normal.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With the car in Ready you should be getting at least 13.8 volts at the battery if it is fully charged, and 14 volts + if the battery is low. When the car is off you should get around 12.5 volts (more for a newer fully charged battery, less for an older battery). If you are getting 12.4 at the battery when the car is running you probably have a charging problem or a bad battery connection.

9. Dolph Fitness

Dolph Fitness New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks RobertK,

I will make a double check with your feedback.

10. Dolph Fitness

Dolph Fitness New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everybody,

This is the test I made.

Today at a workshop told me that water pump isn't giving max power, and that's the reason why is giving this issue. When I change the water pump I will update changes.

Attached Files:

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, now we know that the charging system is sending 14.2 volts to your auxiliary battery. But I don't see any information in that picture that gets you any closer to knowing what is wrong.

If the inverter coolant pump is under performing, I think that would lead to a P0A1D code, but I don't have time today to do any more research. You can probably see that by looking in the reservoir while the car is in READY mode to see if the coolant it swirling. But these are the possible causes listed by autocode dot com:
    • Faulty HV Control ECU
    • HV Control ECU harness is open or shorted
    • HV Control ECU circuit poor electrical connection
    Others here are more knowledgable.

Dolph Fitness likes this.
  12. Dolph Fitness

Dolph Fitness New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Jerrymildred,

I did that and the cooland it swirling, making a test the water pump is losing power. I will test with another water pump and post the results on these days.

jerrymildred likes this.