1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius won’t start help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Corey86, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Corey86

Corey86 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Gen 2 year 2009 was perfectly working and while i was driving it at 30 mph just suddanly the dash shut off and the engine stopped working and when i stopped on the side of the road i could never turned back on.when i insert the key the front dash doesnt light on and no error lights as well the power button also has no led light turned on on it and doesn react to anything .the indoor lights are functional and i just went to autozone checked the 12v battery is 100% shape and functional also in the front where the fuse box is i noticed a wierd burned electronics smell please help

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Which device did you use to retrieve the DTCs (error codes), you may need to use a hybrid compatible OBD2 device.

If you can find a hybrid compatible obd2 scanner and post any retrieved codes you can be offered more concise advice.

From your description it would appear the inverter pump has failed, but knowing the DTCs would tell us for sure.

If you disconnect the inverter pump first, then replace the am2 fuse, you can move the vehicle around slowly to a safe spot.

Don't drive for long distances, durations, high speeds, or in hot weather as you don't want to overheat the inverter.

Once you have the vehicle in a safe place you can replace the inverter pump.

If you don't first disconnect (or fix) the inverter pump, you will continue to blow the am2 fuse and be unable to move the vehicle again.

Skibob likes this.
  3. Corey86

Corey86 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you i will take tomorow the car to a mechanic i will get back soon

4. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you take the battery out of the car to check it? If you did there will be no codes. As SFO suggests check the AM2 fuse with a multimeter and let us know if it’s blown

5. Corey86

Corey86 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you all it was the water pump regulator i changed it and it works fine also i wod like to ask another qustion i have high oil consumption i add every 2 weeks 1 quart, and i live in South florida what can i do to stop oil burning so fast , now i am using 5w30 and oil changes regularly at 3500 miles , i make weekly around 500 miles i drive a lot please help thanks