Prius won't go into drive with red triangle on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by my first prius, Dec 10, 2020.

1. my first prius

my first prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all, yesterday I started my Gen II up and as I pulled out of my spot the RTOD came on as well as the VSC light. I am all to aware of what those mean because I had to replace my hybrid battery and cooling system in Oct. 2019. Since I replaced them, there have been no problems until yesterday morning. I immediately pulled my car into the spot and took my other car to work. Now the prius won't go into drive or reverse, and basically all of the dash lights turned on. I tried to trouble shoot and I read about the 12v being old, so I checked the volts and it was at 11.6v. What should I do here? Thanks!!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Find or buy a toyota hybrid compatible OBD2 scanner, many prefer a 'mini-vci' cable and a copy of techstream (dealership technician software) installed on a windows device. Others may use an OBD2 bluetooth adapter with an App like Dr Prius, or Torque.

Once you have the OBD2 codes (DTCs), post them here for additional guidance.

Did you hear the HV battery fan running louder is the backseat passenger area?

How many miles on the vehicle, and did you replace the HV battery with a new OEM from the dealer?

fotomoto and JC91006 like this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You may have an issue with the HV battery again, if you didn't replace it with a new one in Oct 2019. But if you read the codes, it should tell you. 11.6v on the 12v battery is low, but shouldn't be low to the point where the car won't start.

If this was my car, I would first charge the 12v battery. Then read the codes on the car.

fotomoto likes this.
  4. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

A high voltage leak is the only problem that causes that scenario.

Clear the codes with a reader or by disconnecting the 12 volt volt battery. With the codes cleared the car will drive normally even after the RTOD comes back on. Once you shut the car off it will not go back into drive or reverse.

SFO and fotomoto like this.