1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius won't go into ready mode after replacing 12v battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Scott M. Bleeker II, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Scott M. Bleeker II

Scott M. Bleeker II New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The other day I started my 2005 prius and after driving a few miles I got the red triangle and pulled over somewhere safe to try to diagnose the problem. Upon turning the car off and on again it failed to go into ready mode, so I checked the diagnostic mode and the voltage of the 12v was fluctuating within the low 11s and high 10s so I decided that it was pretty much dead. I replaced the battery but the same problem still persists and I can't get the car to go into ready with the new battery resting at about 12v-11.9v. The brake lights also work perfectly fine so I'm pretty clueless on how to proceed.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you mess with the orange interlock switch on the hv battery? If you did, just go back in there and lock it. Press/slide it downward towards the floor and you'll hear a click. That locks it

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need to charge up the 12v. although new, it has been sitting too long.

4. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Check your grounds, they could be corroded or loose.

5. Scott M. Bleeker II

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tightened the ground from the negative terminal which was a bit loose but I'm still having the same issue. The battery is currently reading from 11.7-11.9v depending on what is being powered. What voltage does the battery need to start normally? >12v? Also I never touched the orange disconnect and it seems to be properly in place. I don't currently have a battery tender so I'm going to go out and buy one now

#5 Scott M. Bleeker II, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  6. Scott M. Bleeker II

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Scraping off the corrosion from all the connections seemed to do the trick! Thanks for all the help.

7. RacerM

RacerM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just stopping by to say thank you. Attempting to diagnose the "Check Hybrid Battery" message and had left the lever unlatched.