1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius wont Start after brake change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by zfk110, Dec 29, 2021.

1. zfk110

zfk110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was working on my 2010 Prius with 151k I was changing the rear brake's pad, so I disconnected the Orange fuse box in the trunk and the white cable going into the front fuse box while I was doing this one of the screw got stripped. So I had to order the special tool off the Amazon, it took almost a week to get, and the car was unplugged for that long time with all the four doors closed. After I replace the brakes pad, caliper. I plug the fuse box and front cable in the fuse box.

When I'm trying to start the car it would not start I'm getting this message saying check the hybrid battery, so I thought maybe my jump box is weak I fully charged my jump box, and it didn't work I also use the jumping cable and let the other car started for 20-30 minutes I was thinking maybe this will charge the battery on my Prius, but I didn't do anything good. I don't know what's going on, someone can help me out thank you

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you perform all 3 steps of the service plug, including the final slide?

3. zfk110

zfk110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you are asking about trunk's orange fuse box? I did that, let me check on it one more time and I will let you know.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is the orange safety plug on the battery. most folks forget the final step
    watch

#4 bisco, Dec 29, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    jzchen likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I look at your photo, I see "check hybrid system".

Changing just one word in a message, like "system" to "battery", can sometimes throw you off the track.

If rechecking the interlock switch as bisco suggested doesn't solve the problem, a good next step would be to get the trouble codes from the hybrid system, which will probably tell you exactly what it wants.

6. burebista

burebista Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just curious, why did you do that for changing brake pad? o_O

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The white cable eliminated the chance of the brake system waking up for its self-test exercise while the brake calipers were apart.

The orange service plug would have been an excess of caution for a brake job, but excess caution beats insufficient caution ....

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's good to disconnect the 12 volt, for the reason @ChapmanF mentioned. Disconnecting the hybrid system's orange safety plug is pointless AFAIK.

When the dust settles:

raise the rear of the car, and verify the the rear wheels are relatively free-spinning with a push.

If not, it could be the caliper piston is misaligned. It has a cross-pattern, that MUST be oriented like "X", not this: "+". More info in the attachment.

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.
  9. DFNYC

DFNYC New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Happened to me. I forgot to slide the orange hybrid battery fuse over to the right.
    Once I did, the check hybrid system cleared after a few starts.