1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius worst car in history in winter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mgpp123, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some more props for my Prius on Hankook iPike snows today... we have had a serious storm, almost a foot in about 7 hours and none of the towns want to plow until it's over. I've put 50 miles on my car today on some really bad roads, not to mention getting into my driveway through about a foot of snow over 100'.

The MPG sure takes a dump but the car just goes and goes. :rockon:

2. aelskus

aelskus New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am renting a Prius 2010 to see if I can learn to like the Prius. It is snowing hard here now (Maine), and I driving home the handling felt very uncertain. The traction control came on a few times, I felt 'disconnected' from the road (I drive a 1995 Saturn wagon with studded snow tires normally, which grabs snowy roads like a tiger).

Friends with a 2005 Prius say even studded snows do not allow them to get up the hill to their house in snow. They use it as a 3 season car only.

I'm afraid to spend $20K+ for a car that I won't feel safe in in winter.

Seems like people have had vastly different experiences. I'm at a loss!

3. mickey513

mickey513 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Went through my first "rainy day(s)" drive in the Prius. Felt stable but definitely does not feel stable like a new Civic or Corolla in rain. I cannot imagine driving this car in snow but it doesn't snow where I live.

4. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great plan to rent and see for yourself. Some owners seem to have NO problems and some curse the snow and traction control. If you regularly use studded tires you'll want to fairly compare the Prius with them on as well. Some of our members have posted strategies that work for them. Mostly I've concluded that it's all in how fast you drive, how deep the snow is, and whether you have any hills to climb. Most new cars have traction control and some allow controlling its function. Prius does not allow disconnecting it to prevent damage to the electric motor. (I think) I use an awd Volvo for snow and ice when I have to go out in it but I have seen Prii driving on the slippery roads.
    If the Prius doesn't work out for you check out Subaru. Their mpg is relatively poor but they will run well with the right tires.
    Please let us know what you decide and why.
    Good luck.

5. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Ours feels very solid on the road wet, dry or snow. That in fact was one of the benefits we perceived compared to either a Corolla or a Camry Hybrid, each of which we had rented and put a lot of miles on during holiday trips the year before.

Perhaps yours has an alignment issue or perhaps its just a question of getting accustomed to a different feel.

6. Canard

Canard Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The subject line of this thread should be modified. :) It's really not.

-Iain

7. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A Prius with snow tires is as good or bad as any other FWD car if the driver is in the least bit competent.

REV

1 person likes this.
  8. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    See the thread below for comments and opinions about driving in snow, and the two factors that determine if a car is good in snow or now (hint: it isn't about the car). Personally, I drive my Prius, not my 4WD Tacoma, on slippery roads because of the low center of gravity of the Prius, because ECO mode keeps torque down for less tire slip, and because the Prius front-to-read weight balance is very good..
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii.../89101-driving-in-snow-prius-really-good.html

9. Zhe Wiz

Zhe Wiz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A 2010? Maybe. Previous Gen? B.S. See my other posts for examples. I can quite competently get the Prius stuck in situations other cars have no issues with.

Is it the "worst car in history in winter"? Absolutely not. It's quite good in snow in most situations, as good or better than other FWDers in most, but there are circumstances the Prius does NOT handle well, thanks to it's "iffy" traction control. I don't care how a good a driver you THINK you are.

And it's not even CLOSE to as good as my OBS in snow. Not even close.

Zhe Wiz

10. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Expecting a rental Prius on it's stock, smooth, tires to handle snow like a car on studded snows is nonsensical.

I can't say it enough.... Tires, Tires, Tires, Tires.

The biggest factor in how a car performs in rain or snow is the 4 pieces of rubber that are actually touching the ground. The Low Rolling Resistance tires that come on a Prius, particularly once worn a bit, are UNSUITED for snow and ice, and are a compromise in heavy rain as well (in my opinion).

11. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Of course it's not .... FWD vs AWD ????? Not exactly a fair comparison is it ?

REV

12. PapaGallo

PapaGallo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree with Sporin and all those who have posted, that its tires and how you drive that makes you experience in snow is good or bad. My previous car was an infinity G35s, I tried to drive once in the snow, no more than 3 inches, and it was like driving on road covered with oil.
    I got snow tires for it, Blizzak W60, and in three years of winter driving I did not once spin out of control, got stuck in the snow or otherwise had a bad experience with the Infinity.
    I got my Prius in september of 2010, and i figured i would drive the winter with stock tires,
    but had scary experience in just a dusting of snow in which, for some reason, the car had problems braking. I got the Blizzaks W70, and other than christmas snow storm in which I did not drive(got the snow tires a day after the snowstorm) all my experiences have been positive when driving in the snow, I was able to drive out of the driveway in which I park my car in, I was able to even rock it back and forth when it got stuck(there was about 7 inches of snow in the driveway.) I have included some pics and videos

as you can see at the end of the driveway there are tire tracks from my car
    the videos were shot in 720p

Attached Files:

13. Zhe Wiz

Zhe Wiz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! I agree! So why do so many Prius chatters IMPLY that the Prius is so awesome it's better in snow than an AWD vehicle?????? See "mainerinexiles" post a couple back, and all the others who brag about how great the Prius is in the snow while mentioning how many Subarus and SUVs were off the road while they trudged on through. What's the implication there? I've even seen someone on this board flat out say their Prius is better than the Subaru they used to drive (never mentioning the year, of course.) I AGREE, that comparison is ABSURD, yet Prius owners make it. Why? I don't pretend my Impreza gets better gas mileage than my Prius, that claim would be equally absurd, and I'd be jumped on if I were to make it. Yet no one seems to mind when someone claims their Prius is better in snow than an AWD car. Hmmm.

And look at the BMW vs. Prius "fight" going on right now. Who can, with a straight face, claim the Prius is a better car than a BMW? Really? There's another claim I couldn't honestly make, but then I'm comfortable with the auto choices I have made, and the reasons I've made them.

Zhe Wiz

1 person likes this.
  14. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think saying that Subarus and SUV's were off the road is the same as saying that the Prius is better than them. I've found that many 4 or AWD owners overdrive their cars thinking that they're invincible, and end up in the ditch because of it.

Anyone who would legitmately say that a Prius equipped with ANY tire is the equivalent of an AWD or 4WD vehicle doesn't have much experience with cars.

A Prius equipped with good snows should be a formidable car in the snow within reason. Almost ANY car is ... modern snow tires are simply incredible. I have no doubt that a Prius equipped with 4 snows could go 'almost' anywhere a Subaru with non-snow tires could go, and I've owned a few Outbacks, and they were excellent cars.

Regarding your BMW comment ... I completely agree .... I've said here many times that some members here are attempting to put the Prius in a 'luxury car class' simply because they paid $30-35K for one. The Prius is a great little econocar that gets awesome mileage, which is why I bought one. It is in NO WAY any type of luxury car, even if you load it up with techno gadgets and nav and leather. Then it's just an econocar with nav and leather and techno gadgets ... period. Load 'em up all you want ... it's still a $20K car with $10-15K worth of add-ons, no matter how you look at it.

REV

15. Zhe Wiz

Zhe Wiz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, indeed it is not the same. It is IMPLIED, however.

YES! COMPLETELY true!

Man, we agree more than we disagree! I completely agree with that entire post!

I would point out that I don't drive ANY car in the winter w/o snows. Not even my Subaru. AWD does not help you stop or corner. TIRES do.

Zhe Wiz

16. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Doesn't sound like we 'dis' agree at all !! :D

REV

17. Iwannabeahippy

Iwannabeahippy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay I was leery when I bought my car (a week ago) when all of the YouTube vids showed the skid control kill the ability to climb hills through snow. I live on a hill, steep, which is pretty important that I can actually get to my house.

I own and AWD Saturn Vue as well as a FWD Hyundai Tiburon. To say that any car is too heavy to drive in the snow is false. If you can't stop, you're going too fast. And as a counter point my Tiburon weighs something like 1300 lbs, was pretty much a beauty in the snow too but the back end would spin out due to lack of weight.

We had some of the WORST snow here this past week, the first week I purchased my 2010 Prius II. I was worried, that I would get stuck or worse in an accident. I took it out when I knew the traffic was gone. and our roads are NEVER cleared. I was driving in 8 inch deep snow in my brand new car- you know what it didn't do....me neither, cause it did everything right in the snow.

I would suggest slowing down, looking into new tires (yes traction control has a LOT to do with tires and wear) as well as if the roads are THAT bad maybe stay home. But I have to tell you, this thing is a charm in the snow. I did my first fill up ever and I calculated it at averaging 42.2 mpg. This is probably low, but we were playing with all of the features and going everywhere we could think of playing with every setting. I am certain next fill up we'll get even better.

Oh and also, my car is so insulated I warm it up, and then turn off the heater until I need it.I am never cold in this car. I love it, honestly.

18. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    blah blah blah. I raced a Prius in snow/dirt. It finished 5th out of 20 cars. I still think it is a piece of poop in the snow thanks to the traction control. If not for that, I would have finished 2nd or 3rd at the worst.

19. TheBlueWedge

TheBlueWedge New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have 10+ years driving in Vermont winters, with FWD, RWD, AWD, and 4WD vehicles. Granted, I have not owned my Prius for very long, but I've already had plenty of snow to drive it in, and my general thoughts are:

1. If the road conditions are really bad, any car will have problems. The best thing to do is stay in your home, with a cup of cocoa (or your beverage of choice), and stay off the dangerous roads.

2. If you will be in situations where you absolutely have to drive in the snow, invest in snow tires. There is no comparison between summer tires and proper snow tires. You really have no right to complain about a car not handling snow well if you don't have snow tires installed.

3. A Prius is FWD -- of course it's not going to be as good in the snow as an AWD of 4WD vehicle. Any discussions of how good/bad it is in the snow need to be based on valid comparisons. I've owned a Honda Accord, Chevy Cavalier, Subaru Outback, and a Toyota Corolla, and the Prius handles the snow much the same way all of those -- aside from the Outback -- did.

4. Drive smart. Flying down the highway at 70 mph in a snowstorm will have you in a ditch instantly. If it's snowy, slow down and drive carefully; I think a lot of people whack a set of snow tires on the car and expect to be able to power through a blizzard at normal-weather speeds. Nuh-uh.

Did I cover it all? :)

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A