1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius would look better with a Gen 3 redesign

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Walker, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Walker

Walker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been thinking about buying a Prius for a while. The efficient gas mileage, the famous Toyota reliability, and straightforward infotainment are all big pluses. But I can't stand the way the newer Gen 4/2016-2020 Prius vehicles look: with the crazy, asymmetric slants, the floating roof, and cheap looking grill, I wince every time I look at them. I can't stand the thought of being seen in public with one of these, and I'd be surprised if many people think the present exterior look is an improvement. The Gen 3/2015 and earlier models were beautiful: a sleek, smooth, even and symmetrical design. I'd buy a Prius in a heartbeat if I could get the 2020 mileage, electronics, and infotainment in the body of a Prius from 2015 or earlier. Does anyone know if a redesign to something like the previous generation is a possibility? Maybe this would help Toyota reverse its falling Prius sales figures.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It definitely looks like it's an improvement to me, and I owned a gen 3 pruis and now own a Prime. The only thing I don't like is the double wave rear glass, but the normal gen 4 prius doesn't have that.

At least it doesn't like the 99 models of crossovers that all look the same! Now that's ugly! :)

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I like the front but not the back so much. I’m used to the futuristic look now and at times it makes a lot of other cars look boring to me. Add some 17” wheels and it looks a lot better. But really, the car is so good that I can overlook some design quirks.

57AD01B5-DD96-4F3C-856D-A9E733B30B45.jpeg

Tips likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Walker you're preaching to the choir. (y)

Walker, Raytheeagle and Merkey like this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Virtual choir in more ways than one :p.

Walker and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Walker

Walker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed! It’s the back wraparound glass creating a floating roof that bothers me the most about the design. The biggest single improvement they could make is changing the rear back to the Gen 3 rear, IMHO.

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one and they vary widely. (Pun not intended, but serendipitous.) :D

Still:
    I'd driven gen 2 and then a PiP for 4-1/2 years. Wife still drives and likes her gen 2. Not one compliment on appearance. Ever.

I've had the Prime for one year. Lost track of all the appearance compliments long ago. In fact, one person has mentioned it several times.

This thing looks WAY better than previous versions. But that's not how I choose cars. This one costs me less than 2-1/2 cents per mile for gas and electric combined. And it's vastly more comfortable than the older Prii. It still has annoyances, but I've never had a car in 45 years of driving that didn't.

8. smyles

smyles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Answer is NO.
    Next question.

GSK likes this.
  9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Designs hardly ever go in "reverse". Gen 3 was an evolution from Gen 2...Gen 4 was an evolution from Gen 3.

I like the Gen 4, I think Toyota wanted to give it "Prius" distinction, while moving it to a sportier, more mainstream look.
    Personally, I think they were pretty successful.
    I say "pretty" successful if only because I'm not a big fan of the rear end. I don't like the scrunched accordion bellows look.

But overall, I like the evolution. And I don't see Toyota evolving it backwards to look more like previous generations.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll never forget a work colleague saying one time, regarding the progress of a conveyor design: "we're going backwards".

I don't think that's quite it, time is not a linear thing, and you're kidding yourself thinking life is a path you're meandering along.

But really, product changes are not always positive, nor necessarily motivated by the desire to improve. The bells-and-whistles stuff in particular.

What's that main touch-screen cost to replace now, something over six grand (USD)? A few months back someone here was inquiring. Finally disclosed: it was cracked because he'd punch it.

11. Holmesm1

Holmesm1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  12. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you think the current generation of Prius is a step backwards, what do you think about the front end of the current Lexus? I feel fortunate Toyota didn't go that route.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Walker

Walker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Overall, I like the symmetrical look of the newer Lexus a lot more than that of the newer Prius. The front of the new Lexus is a polarizing design too though, and I get why some people gripe about it. I think the front grill of the Lexus looks OK but is too close to the ground.

Like several of the other members here, my biggest complaint about the exterior of the newer Prius is the rear wraparound glass/floating roof/scrunched accordion look. If Toyota would change the rear to look like this 2015 model, replacing the wraparound glass with continuous metal and restoring the full, smooth liftback, I could get on board. The current Prius model has been elongated too far out of proportion for me.

I'll wait a couple of years and see if Toyota changes this. If it doesn't, I'll buy another vehicle. Appearance isn't the only thing, but it's an important thing. I wouldn't trade my suit for a ballerina outfit, even if the ballerina outfit happened to be cheaper and more comfortable.

2015_toyota_prius_hybrid_angularrear.jpg

14. Darkly-Noon

Darkly-Noon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Personally, I like the Prime's styling, for the most part. In particular the back end with the double-wave glass and tail-light design, Not as much at the front, there's too much black, though I like the row-of-ice-cubes headlights and the low hood, and the fact that it doesn't have an oversized grille. I also don't like the puny 15" wheels and cheap looking wheel covers, but that is easily rectified with 16" or 17" aftermarket wheels. And there's also some attractive colour choices, though I'd like to see more than red, blue and grey-scale. It was one of the reasons I chose it over the Hyundai Ioniq PHEV, a car so anonymous looking, even the paint choices were boring.

Functionally, I love it. Certainly the drag co-efficient and overall efficiency are impressive, and it's a very care-free car to own. Plug it in when you can, don't sweat it if you can't.

It'll be interesting to see what Toyota does with this car and the rest of it's electrified line-up in the future, with more HEV's, PHEV's and probably BEV's coming.

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And then there's the interior...

For some reason, Triumph motorcycles came to mind (maybe because we're watching Heartbeat 1992). I see they have a current model that looks pretty faithful to the classic now. (y)

Probably all but the price...

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should clarify a little bit.
    If we are talking body design of automobiles, I would say perhaps I was wrong in my statement that it hardly ever goes in reverse. You've got several auto's made with "Retro-Styling". I'm thinking of the Ford Mustang, The Camaro, and other current vehicles that embrace previous decades styling ques.

This being said, I'm still betting that you won't see Prius reach back significantly with any design ques.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok, I'm with you there: they don't often revert to an older style. And if they do, it's likely to be big back step.

Yeah I was thinking more of technical progress. I really think they're backsliding on that right now, all the stuff @Walker mentioned in the initial post. Mainly: silly/superfluous styling exercises, that confound aerodynamics, raise manufacturing and repair costs.

Front "bumper" of the Prius Prime is one example.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    first compliment i have ever read for toyota 'infotainment' :p

19. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Both are ugly (IMO) and I have one of each. I didn't buy the car for its looks. In all other respects that matter (ride, handling, mileage, quietness, nicer interior...), the Gen 4 is a better car. But, you know, I like the flying buttress in the Gen 3.

evpv likes this.
  20. Walker

Walker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I think the newer Prius has Apple CarPlay, which would be convenient to have.

bisco likes this.