1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriusChat Certified Dealer Program - Launch Announcement & Form

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Danny, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's an extra step to ensure that those who read about the program here on priuschat get credit with their dealer that they ordered here from the Priuschat Certified Dealer Program. By filling out the form Danny provided it let's him know who is ordering what and through what dealership. I'm going to guess he'll have to ship the swag to each dealership too so having his own record as well as you contacting the dealership is an extra precaution.

So..... If you are ordering a PiP from one of the dealers mentioned, even Dianne, fill out Danny's form here as well: PriusChat Certified Dealer Program | PriusChat

2. moolman

moolman Member

Hi folks,
    I mentioned before that I would take a quick trip down to Auburn Toyota, one of the official Priuschat Plug in dealers. I'll be very detailed about my visit. My name is Alex, I walked into the dealership at 4pm on Saturday, 10/29. Spoke to Harlen, he's the salesman in charge according to Andy the salesmanger at Auburn.

I walk in, introduce myself, and I started to ask a few questions about the whole pre-order process to Harlen. I stressed the fact to him that there 15,000 cars but more people registered for the pre-order so I would like to make sure I'm in the first batch of people. Of course he reassures me that I will. I wanted him to go through the ordering process with me so that I know that he knows what's going on. Let's say, I wasn't too confident he knew. So I started explaining it a bit. And he throws in the comment, that he had a training about it 3 weeks ago, and "I know way more about the process as a dealer that hasn't been revealed". So I asked him what it was that he knew. Let's just say it felt the conversation was going in a circle.

And here's the real kicker for me. So he goes on to say, if I sign up with him my chances of getting a car is greater because if someone pre-orders a car and doesn't pick it up. As an early sign up I can have first crack at it. He's says he has people all the time that put a deposit down at multiple dealers, change their mind, or can't agree on the price at delivery. At this point, I say, the pre-order is only with one dealer, so people won't be signed up with multiple dealers and isn't price agreed upon during the pre-order window, not at delivery. What the heck is this guy talking about? SO I told him straight up, now that you tell me this, how do I know you won't try to screw me over when I take delivery and try to pull some funny business so that I can't get the car and then you just turn around and try to sell it to the next guy for a bigger profit. I don't know if this can happen or not, but the way he was talking, it sure made it like it was a possibility and he thought about doing it. I mentioned back to him that the price is already set and he was obligated to sell the car at the agreed upon price during the order or I would think Toyota would have a fit with the dealership but it didn't seem to phase him much...hmm..... Anyway, he mentioned some other things about how the dealers were upset that Toyota is doing this pre-order and whatever else. He also mentioned to me that the dealership owner's daughter will be personally handling this and that it will be smooth.

Anyway, I see that people are already signed up with Auburn Toyota, so I would suggest you take a quick trip down there to talk to them like I did, maybe you will get a different vibe from them. Auburn Toyota is a very small dealership in the outskirts of Sac. They could of run with this program and sold a good amount of cars that they normally would not. So I don't know what the deal is anymore.

I'd bet that now that I put this review, the manager Andy there will say that I should of talked to him. He was there but he is the one that referred me to Harlen in email and said he's the point man.

Anyway, I guess I'll be taking a trip down to SoCal next year.

1 person likes this.
  3. gramps

gramps Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good job. I usually don't have much confidence (trust) with car dealers. You have to do your "homework" trust but verify in other words.
    I have been talking to my nearest Toyota Dealers Internet Sales Manager about the PIP Preferred Dealer issue. I told him about priuschat and Dianne (he said he knows her)
    He has offered me $750 under MSRP and maybe more to follow. I asked him, "what if I choose them as my preferred dealer and when the car arrives I flake out and don't buy it"?
    He told me they would buy me dinner, no hard feelings.
    I was being honest (mostly) we are considering the 2012 Camry Hybrid instead, but I want to leave my options open on the PIP.

4. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toyota, Dealer, Prius Fan Site...

I don't quite understand the program, what is it based on? And why should it work?

From Toyota's point of view, PC is a good fan site, which spreads good words on Prius, and probably Toyota's reputation in general. But I don't think they are interested to let their dealers to fight with each other for this fan group, by offering special discount, or giving up the opportunities to "sell" those price inflated dealer based "extended warranties". Toyota wants ALL potential customers be happy with Toyota's products and services. That's probably why they took over this PIP pre-order process and to prevent some dealers from screwing TOYOTA's customers and damage TOYOTA's reputation.

From dealer's perspective, if some of them sign up with PC and do offer those discounts, result in significant sales boost, I am not sure how other "uncertified" dealers will react. They might work together to complain to Toyota, asking T to supply less PIP to the certified dealers. After all, Toyota controls the supply, and favoring PC member is not Toyota's best interest.

Not to mention the fact that PC "member" itself is a loose definition at the best. Anyone will be a member if they happen to read couple of threads on this site.

So I don't know...

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    TEM - The long-term plan for the PC Certified Dealership Program is for it to cross into all models of Prius and incorporate as many geographic areas across the US as I can. There are certain parts of the country where I've already seen limited interest in the program due to how they do business. I was flat out told by one dealer in Arizona that the "No required add-ons" kept them from being interested in participating because that's how they make their money. They literally told me that.

Look at the launch of the Plug-in as the "pilot program" for the PCCDP. With great partners like Dianne at Carson Toyota, I think we can pull together a great database of "certified" Prius dealerships that not only focus on giving PCers a great price, but also an unparalleled buying experience.

2 people like this.
  6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Re: Toyota, Dealer, Prius Fan Site...

Quick note about the unique codes for people who have signed up for the program: I have been waiting to get all of the contact information from dealers before I email the unique codes and contact info to everyone. I hope to have it all out by tomorrow.

Don't freak out over the unique code - it may just end up being your username. It's another way for me to track between my database and our partner dealerships to see who has signed up and follows-through with their purchase.

Most dealerships I spoke with only anticipate that 20% of those who pre-order to actually buy. I am guessing that the PriusChat rate will be closer to 90%.

Earlier this week we added First Team Toyota in Chesapeake, Virginia to our list of dealerships. The great thing about First Team Toyota is not only that they are the Southernmost East Coast dealership in the program, but they also cold-called me about the program. That should show you their commitment to PriusChatters.

That argument would make sense if various Toyota dealerships didn't already advertise on PriusChat in various ways. Also, PIP pre-orders will be the only way most dealerships (especially on the West Coast) will be able to get ANY PIPs in 2012.

1 person likes this.
  7. JJJ

JJJ New Member

Just signed up for the PriusChat program. Great idea. Actually I could sign up with other dealers in the Bay area and/or DC/VA. Unfortunately warranty issues on my '05, having purchased it in a non-carb state has cost me dearly. Hopefully purchasing in CA/VA will extend any warranties to us poor disenfranchised folk. I would suggest that you allow us to indicate other dealers as others become available, if nothing other than competition in pricing.

Now that I have read Moolman's post, I think I want to change from Auburn to Carson. Thanks, Moolman. (The only reason I chose Auburn is I know the area. But Carson is just fine, too. A trip to Dizzyland.)

8. moolman

moolman Member

I would suggest if possible to go there or call and ask questions. I can't be the only one investigating these dealerships. Anybody else deal with Auburn or anybody else on the list for that matter?

9. Piprius

Piprius Member of the cult of Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Have you had any luck Danny in contacting the dealers? While we still don't know when the release will be, I admit to becoming increasingly "twitchy" and would like to be able to contact the dealer I selected with the confirmation information.

Thanks again for your efforts! Now to go convince my wife she doesn't need ALL her internal organs.

10. ClaySacramento

ClaySacramento Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have emailed Magnussen's Auburn Toyota, but the person responding to the emails did not seem to be familiar with the Prius Plug-in ordering process or the PriusChat Certified Dealer Program (even after I provided a link to the PriusChat Certified Dealer Program form). I spoke to this person on the phone and asked to get in touch with the person who will be processing the Prius Plug-in orders when the ordering system goes live, but so far I have not heard anything back.

I'm waiting to get to my unique code and the contact information from Danny before contacting Auburn Toyota about this again.

11. moolman

moolman Member

Anybody in the Sacramento area going to place an order with Auburn/Magnussen Toyota. Send me a PM, I think I may have found a solution to the problem with their inept service so far.

12. Nadler

Nadler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think it would be helpful if we had the contact name (and perhaps email address and/or phone number) of the priuschat contact at each dealership. Rather than just make a cold call to the dealership I would like to email or speak to the person at the dealership who knows about this program. I was thinking of emailing the contact before the 17th just so on the 17th things would move quickly.

If making this information public is problematic then an email to each person who signed up for the program with this info would be a good alternative.

Also, altho I signed up I did not get an email with the unique ID mentioned.

Thanks!

13. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No email here either :(

14. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    The only choice we have here in Long Island and inmediate areas is Manfredi Staten Island Toyota

PS: Of the four Nassau & Suffolk Counties Toyota dealers I approached with the PriusChat Certified Dealer Program, nobody really care about it.

15. Nadler

Nadler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't mind going to Staten Island. I was just wondering whether there was a particular person we can speak with at that dealership (Jim perhaps? the GM as mentioned in Mark's post).

I thought it would be easier if we had a contact point rather than talking with a random sales person at the dealership.

As for Long Island dealerships, I've dealt with many in the past and I wasn't looking forward to their tactics so I would rather go to Staten Island for a known price and a known deal.

16. ddunlea

ddunlea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm looking at buying from Jim Coleman Toyota in MD. Does anyone know the contact at that dealership that would be familiar with the Prius Chat program?

Like others, I'd like to get the details taken care of before Thursday.

Their web site's contact form is pretty generic.

Thanks

17. stacey

stacey ☆☆☆☆☆

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I used their contact form and was contacted by email pretty quickly. I don't know how knowledgeable the gentleman who replied is, but I'm supposed to call and have a chat with him this week (he didn't give me a phone number so I guess I will have to call the dealership and ask for the guy).

18. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just be careful with this; the 2010 warranty and maintenance guide states:
    (Emphasis added.) Buying in a CARB state is a start, but be forewarned that there's still a hole in the contract that allows them to not cover you if you're not in a CARB state. It might help if you get related service in a CARB state, as a non-CARB dealer probably isn't used to the CARB warranty. So if it's convenient for you, by all means, buy in a CARB state. But don't pay extra for the vehicle just for that.

19. ddunlea

ddunlea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. I used the contact form and they got right back to me.

20. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In case anyone missed the email I sent earlier this week, here is a map with all of our partner dealers' contact information: http://priuschat.com/dealers

Your unique identifier is your PriusChat username, so don't freak out if you were looking for something like "XYZ1234OMGLOL".