1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriusChat "Certified Dealer" Program - looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Danny, Aug 12, 2011.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup...The markup stories are going to be the stuff of legend.:eek:

2. guido

guido Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    My question is whether the price negotiated at the initial pre-order stage will stay the price.

What's to stop the dealer from holding the car hostage once it's on their lot and adding a couple thousand dollars of "handling charges" to the price? What am I going to do? Walk away and order another one next year?

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should be getting something in writing at the time of the agreement before the dealer completes your order. I think there will be some out there trying to screw people, but Toyota really seems to have things squared away pretty well with this online order system.

4. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes, your order form has the price in writing. I wouldn't want to BE the dealership who tried that. You could kiss future allocations bye-bye. :eek: That would decimate them.

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, the ordering process should start in about 3 weeks, mid-October?

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, no official date set yet.

1 person likes this.
  7. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's exactly why the process seems to be broken to me. an unscrupulous dealer will very easily recognize that the customer is really over a barrel here, and say, "hey, sorry i jacked up the price on you, but take it or leave it - maybe you won't get a car if you turn me down."

the customer really should be able to switch dealers without penalty and without losing their position in the queue. that would help keep dealers honest.

[ i missed some replies and i see that dealers should/can be penalized for this behavior. still, if customers could easily switch and have maybe 2 weeks instead of 4 days to complete the order, it would seem to me that the problem would take care of itself ]

well we'd better get crackin' and identify these preferred dealers pretty fast. isn't the word on the street that the ordering will open in early october??

8. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It can't be done in the fashion you mention. You have an online contract.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think he's saying that if you agree to a price prior to the online contract then they could still kind of screw you when it came down to the final face-to-face negotiation before it was submitted online.

IOW, you and I agree to $2000 off MSRP now, I complete the online process, it takes us 72 hours to get together to finalize the agreement and then you renig on the verbal agreement and want to charge me $500 over MSRP...what am I to do, I"m short on time for my place in the queue and have no idea if I could find a dealer who would offer me a better price and run the risk of losing my spot.

I guess an online/email agreement would help offer some reassurance and at least if you filed a complaint later you would have some evidence to support your contentions against the dealer.

Anyway, I am optimistic that most people will do fine. Dealers, usually, want your return business and good word of mouth for future customers and if we get this preferred dealer list up and going we should be able to assure lots of PCers some good deals with reputable dealers.

10. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Danny are you getting close to unveiling the list?? I'm curious if you've contacted anyone around my population area of the CA central coast.
    Thanks!

11. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Danny,

Any chance that you will be able to share information this week? Although no one knows for sure, Toyota could be opening up the order process as soon as next week. Appreciate all the work that you have done to bring this together.

12. theiding

theiding New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is my first post so let me start out with a naive question...

I am pre-registered and therefore I will pick my dealer when the ordering starts. If a dealer doesn't negotiate with me I can simply go to the next and the dealer is left with nothing (as the dealer has no inventory). Doesn't that mean I should be able to get very close to invoice/actual dealer cost (just like I bought my first Prius a few dollars over invoice) even without a certified dealer program?

I know I am missing something - I just don't know what. :) Help!

Mark

13. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

If I still lived in California I would definitely give Dianne Whitmire a call at Carson Toyota, especially if you already have a pre-registration for the plug in. Ask anyone who has met her or bought with her and she is a special person.

http://priuschat.com/forums/dealers...plug-in-hybrid-electric-vehicle-timeline.html

14. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. I have been emailing and talking to my dealer, who I have bought 3 Priu from, and a Camry for my parents, so you might say I am a "repeat" loyal customer.

I asked if they can do better than MSRP, given my past business, etc.

The answer is no, since the PiP will be in such short supply, and high demand, they are staying to MSRP. Good luck finding any dealer willing to sell with any discount at all.

I think I am done with Toyota. Might as well just buy a Leaf, the overall cost will be less with the larger $7500 federal credit, and they have a great 3 year lease deal.

15. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm confused. You don't get the credit if you lease.

16. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If you lease a Leaf, they take the credit and pass it on to the buyer, reduces the amount of the lease, and doesn't need to be claimed on your Federal taxes. But that is Nissan, don't know how Toyota will handle it. I'm just saying I've been waiting for a Leaf since 4/20/2010 when I reserved it, looks like ordering will be very soon, and to tell you the truth, I can live within the range of the Leaf, and use no gasoline at all, plus it will he easier to get a Leaf and somewhat less money as well. There is a comparison chart over at MNL (Leaf forum).

17. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sounds good. I would definitely lease then, since the tech is bound to get better over time and there is some question about the long-term life of current lithium batteries.

18. gramps

gramps Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At this point Dianne you are the best choice (probably in the country). I have 9 Toyota Dealers in San Diego and I am disappointed that no one from San Diego is responding to this thread. I can't be a group of 1.:(
    While servicing my 09 Prius yesterday at Chula Vista Toyota, I talked to the Internet Sales Manager, Jason Adame, about the Plug In Prius buying "adventure". He had a clue and had heard of PriusChat. I threw your name at him and that you were my likely preferred dealer,and he said he knew of you and that you "worked at Manhattan Beach Toyota".
    He was interested in getting the "spoils" of a group buy. He did a little tap dancing on details of any possible discount. He said their dealership doesn't sell many Prii (they are the southernmost Toyota dealership in San Diego)
    and that a group buy would be good for the dealership long term.
    Dianne that wasn't maintenance at the other dealer (Poway) that was a free Lifetime Power Train Warranty.

19. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hey there.
    I don't dealer-trade much with Poway so he may not know where I am. CARSON is where I am back to (I was here for about 10 years from 97-07, and I am happy and back for good!)

I am not requiring a group buy to discount this car. One at a time or 10 at a time, that doesn't change the cost of the car :: shrug :: so I may as well make the same fair deal for all!

Look at it this way: you can have your car serviced anywhere. The Toyota Care and all warranty and maintenance work is good anywhere. You only have to come up here to get the car, and then we are done with that end of the "commute"... and frankly, I live in Laguna Niguel. I make that drive every day, 6 days a week. My son is a Marine stationed at Miramar and I know the SD drive well... you can also take the train into the area and we will come for you in LA (Union Station in LA) or take the train to the Amtrak Station in Laguna Niguel or San Juan Cap - and I can pick you up on my way into the office.

The way I see it... 'tap dancing' is entertainment. A deal is a deal, and a promise of a large savings from a credible source is priceless. Maybe a little entertaining.. I'll sing it to you!! :D

So - you can be a group of one!!

20. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Before this is all over, I think that Toyota may just end up parking a ship off the coast near Carson and just deliver the cars directly to Dianne!