1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriusChat Forum Upgrade - post your bug reports/gripes/thanks here

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Danny, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oxo, you can disable your browser from running scripts... it's going to be in "options" or "preferences" or something like that depending on the browser you use. Look specifically for something like a checkbox or button to disable "javascript."

BUT, Hobbit is an outspoken opponent of scripting in any form, and I feel that in spite of some abuse, scripting is a useful part of the web environment... in your case I'd recommend you turn it off simply to debug your problem. If you turn off scripting and the problem goes away, you can at least report that scripting caused the problem, and Danny, et al. can look in that direction.

FWIW, I run a fairly robust debugger in my browser most of the time and PC gives me few or no script errors.

2. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I second this! I'm not sure how this can be justified as a feature for a search program. Especially considering all the three and two letter acronyms, model names, etc that get flung around here.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think the idea behind limiting the number of letters for a search (or better said, mandating a minimum) is to keep the system optimized and not have to include 1 or 2 letter common words in the search system. It puts a heavy toll on the server. There have already been 23,785 searches since we re-launched the site a week ago. Try out the Google Search if you are having trouble finding what you need:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gtsearch.php

I can add certain words that can get by the minimum 3 letter rule. If you guys start making out a list of them I'll add them to the list.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You are not at the end of the line. There is a space folllowing the cursor. I do not know how or why this messes it up, but it does. And like you said, it's when you've gone back to make an edit. Normally the cursor is at the end of all characters, but when we go back to make the edit, we do not go all the way to the end when we resume typing again.

Next time you encounter this, hit the [End] key and see if the cursor doesn't skip forward a blank space.

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    do not know whether it can be changed, but it's not new to the new software. The old software had the same limitation.

The Google search function will accept 2 characters. It doesn't give you the other search options and limits, but you might find it an acceptable alternative. I tend to prefer Google anyway because of the ability to use multiple search terms.

6. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe the better approach is to come up with a list of common search "garbage" words that could help remove bottlenecks but still allow for short words or acronyms...

So maybe excluding most pronouns, conjunctions, and a lot of prepositions would be the better approach. As long as they're still allowed in "searches for a specific phrase." That way some longer words (e.g. "which") could also be excluded. But surely enough people have been working hard enough on refining searches to have this or better ideas already.

Either that, or just modify the search box so it queries google site-search directly ;)

p.s. for anyone who doesn't know already, use the following on google for fast searches:
    [ site:priuschat.com my search terms ]

p.p.s. I just discovered that smilies are case-sensitive here... demo:
    :p :p :d :D -- in some cases it makes sense...

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Much nicer, Danny. No slowdowns seen yet! Good upgrade!
    Thanks!

8. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm as geeky as the next guy, but who really is going to remember their package # four months, much less four years after their purchase? I made mine up just to get access. Is there a decode list somewhere? If this is going to be a requirement, it should be easily accessible.

Karl

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We'll get that info up with the new 'wiki' that's coming soon. Good suggestion.

10. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
  11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've got a gripe about viewing the newest posts.

Sometimes I open a post in a new tab but it never loads so I never get a chance to read it. The next time I view new posts, or if I go to another browser to view new posts, the posts the forum *thinks* I read but never got a chance to....never appear in the newest posts. So I have to try to remember them and go searching for them.

Never happened on the old forum. Some may like it but I find it annoying.

12. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What browser are you using? I've had no problem opening a post or thread in a new tab using Firefox.

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If this happens again, instead of trying to remember and search, it's probably quicker to go to Quick Links, and click on Today's Posts, which will show the most recent threads posted to (whether you "read" them or not) for the previous 24+ hours.

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Site slow downs

I'm starting to see server slow downs even with the new software. In general, the new software is much, much faster than the old BBS, but the last few days it has exhibited slow downs and time-outs. It happens around 10 to 10:30 Eastern Time. Perhaps there is a chron job running on the server, or maybe it's just a peak load as the west coast gets cranking.

Tom

15. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My big complaint with the new setup:

It's too easy to browse, search and track threads. My own personal post volume is probably up by 40-50% and I can track threads so quickly and easily that I end up spending way too much time here. So can we PLEASE slow it down a little? :D

I do have a real question too: On the old software there was a feature where I could see my own number of posts for the day, top posters by number for the day and some other stats. Is that a feature of this software? It's not critical, but it was interesting to see once in a while.

16. Inches

Inches Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Info lost

I logged in yesterday and went to one of the forums and there was a notification that the system needed certain information. I had to re-enter my city and car info info. Have not yet checked my sig or avatar but I guess I'll find out when I post this.

Sig is weird, avatar OK.

Sig fixed.

17. bc104

bc104 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    RSS feed

RSS feed is back!:D

18. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Still not working 100% correct - I'm trying to get the RSS to go through Feedburner but am still playing around with the coding on that.

19. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes I have trouble logging in, but now I can't log out. Pancake posts don't seem to be current, either. Weird.

20. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wish the news were still on the main page in chronological order, its the thing i used to use this site mostly for. think it could be brought back?