1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriusChat Gets a First Drive in the Prius PHV Tomorrow - Questions?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Apr 12, 2010.

1. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think there needs to be a standard for 120V charging, as each vehicle will likely come with the adapter/charger for that. All you will need is a standard 120V outlet..

As for the 240V faster charging, yes, that could use a standard... Will Toyota use the design tha Nissan has for the Leaf? who knows, but it would be nice if they could come to agreement and set a standard for the 240V charging. To me, it looks like the Leafs's system is likely to become the "defacto" standard, since they are first to mass market a real EV.

2. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If the electrical service panel is already in the garage, it shouldn't cost nearly $2000 to have a charger hardwired to it. I would expect maybe $200-$250 for a licensed contractor to do it for me. A lot less if I do it myself.

3. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There is also the cost of the charger itself, and, no EV manufacturer is going to let you install the charger yourself, even if you are an electrician. They simply want it done by the company they have selected to know it was done with the proper permits, and meets all of the electrical code for the area. They can't at this early stage risk an electrical fire or some other mishap by perhaps an install that might not be %100 up to code/safty margins.

4. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    True enough. I interpreted the poster I quoted as thinking that he would have to pay $2000 every time he moved to have the charger he already owned hardwired into his new house. I don't think it would be that costly.

5. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    To just uninstall/reinstall the charger, I'm pretty sure most electricians would do it for under $500, depending upon the conditions (how difficult it is to run the new wire, time it takes, etc)
    I think the EV manufacturer's are mostly concerned with the initial install, once you have it, they really can't control what you do with it..

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    lets examine some basic precepts. (had to consult a residential electrician for this) there is no real valid reason for these chargers to be worth $2000.

so, this is obviously a price that will drop due to volume, popularity and the end of "growing pains". estimated true value is actually only around "$700- $800" and that is based on a 50% install charge.

now, he does not know a lot of details about this charger, but does own his on business and does installs similar to this all the time. (a lot of things require a similar dedicated 220 volt install) and he added "a bit" to consider electronic monitoring and control circuits that might increase the value of the charger but he suspects that most of that circuitry has to be in the car.

so, just general info here but once again, this cost should drop considerably if the concept takes off which it will should no doubt.

i am already sending emails to my local "big mouths" to introduce legislation to require special wiring to allow easy adaptation of EV charging for all new construction

1 person likes this.
  7. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

Clip of Prius PHV demo runs on public street in Japan
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id7Aw0q1t-o"]YouTube - TOYOTA PRIUS Plug in hybrid(???? ????? ??????)[/ame]

2 vols on near-real world usage of Prius PHV by Gazoo online mag.
    http://www.gazoo.com/Movie/MovieDetail.aspx?MovieID=307
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's not a public road. That's the test drive track at Toyota MegaWorld.

9. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

Oops! You are right.

The 2nd link to Gazoo site is the one shown driven on busy public roads and getting plug-in to a 110V domestic power socket behind some courtyard....

[​IMG]

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh ok.

11. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm not an expert in EVSE, so I had to do a little research. Other manufacturers are trying out portable 220V outlets, but I am told that's not something Toyota would do (at least not the way NEC is written now). If the wire is not hard connected to the outlet, it is very unlikely to be UL-listed. That's an important issue.

As for expenses, everything a manufacturer includes in a product "costs" something to the manufacturer, who must either eat the cost or pass it along to the customer. There's no free lunch. And if we want PEVs to be a widespread option, they have to be priced affordably for many customers AND be profitable for the manufacturer.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

12. dpframing

dpframing "Nobody tells me what to do, not even me."

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    PHV colors?

13. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Way to early to speculate. Right now the demo car only comes in one color and it is unique to the PHV, light blue mica metallic.