1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriusChat Glossary

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 17, 2007.

1. new2hybrid

new2hybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the glossary - big help. One thing I can't find for newbies is when you post something, how to you find out if there was a response? After reading lots of different threads I can't remember which ones I wrote on.

I thought there must be a way, but can't figure it out. Thank you so much for this site, I am liking my Prius more now

2. User37

User37 Can spell PRIUS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Click on "Quick-Links", that is on the blue line above.
    Choose "Your Profile" from the drop-down list

You come to a new page where it says "Visitor Messages" "About Me" and "Statistics"

Under the tab called "Statistics" you see Find all posts by new2hybrid

Or when on the posting page where you enter the text, see in Additional Options the "Thread Subscription". There you can select to receive a notification email when a new post is added.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can also subscribe to a thread so when someone responds, it'll send you an e-mail notification. You can choose the frequency of notification and whether to auto-subscribe to every thread you reply to or to manually subscribe.

RCO and new2hybrid like this.
  4. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What about 'CAN'? I've heard of the acronym(?) before including today so I looked here and didn't find it.

Is it possible to do a "sticky" link in other Forum sections? I suppose if I remember where I found the Glossary I can find it again quickly.

Lastly, does 'Traction Motor' get abreviated any or must it/should it really be broken down into MG1 and MG2? I think the usage of tranction motor probably assumes the drive motor/generator or MG2 is what people have on their minds. Or maybe traction motor is a combined name that includes the ICE and the MG2? Maybe 'TM' means ICE + MG2? And maybe 'tranction motor' should always be plural and 'traction motors'?

Thanks.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    CAN as in CANBUS? or are you thinking of something else?

There are two ways to get here - Newbie forum and the 2010 forum. Both are stickied.

I believe traction motor refers to MG2. MG1 would be the starter motor. Best to double check.

6. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Regarding CAN. Yes, probably. I thought I looked for all the CAN... stuff. Definitely not CAN-i-BUS. :p It would have been to easy if I had quoted the sentence that used 'CAN' but I'll never find it again.

I'm thinking now that Traction Motors is used plural and refers to the ICE and one of the MG's that drives the wheels.

I would just as well stick to the 2010 forums. I'll look for the Glossary somewhere there. Maybe that is where I found it before?

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. Are the various microcontrollers all ECUs and doesn't ECU actually stand for Electronic Control Unit and not Engine Control Unit? I once thought it was Engine CU until someone here corrected me (Tom) and added that there are many ECUs around the car that communicate with each other using the CAN.

9. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What is "EDR"?

"
    Re: Toyota Webcast 3/8/10 (today) 1 p.m. EST to debunk Gilbert's throttle claims
    Quote: So far, notice Toyota has never place a single hint/innuendo/blame on possible "driver error" (aka their customers).

I guess this policy serve them pretty well.

The next step is to enhance & standardize the EDR, which, IMO, should do most of the talking & answering in any future incidents.
    "

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Event Data Recorder
    http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-hybrids/39904-edr-event-data-recorder.html

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're asking the wrong person lol. I'm not well versed in electronics or circuitry. It's best to ask someone who is (perhaps start with Tom and go from there).

12. User37

User37 Can spell PRIUS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. ;)

It used to be called Engine Control Unit at times when electronics was first appearing in cars. At that time it was controlling the engine, making sure that basics like ignition were working.

Cars developed, and more and more "things" were controlled electronically. Brakes got their bake assist, the radio can display information on the center console and so on. Since the electronics is not anymore limited to the engine these "boxes" are now considered as Electronic Control Unit.

An average car can have something like 30 control units, all of which exchange data between each other. The ECU's you typically see in action are climate control and interior light.
    The inside lights will come on before you actually open the door because the ECU managing the interior lights has received a message from the car body ECU that the door has unlocked.
    The aircon will not start the ventilator before the engine is reporting a reasonable temperature. When the engine is sending a message that it has warmed up sufficiently then the climate control will start the ventilators and begins to blow warm air into the cabin.

Such type of messages pass over the Canbus. There are several dialects of messages on the CAN. Inside one car this is not a problem because the manufacturer have made the ECU's understand each other. For outsiders like us the variances in CANbus hardware and software can cause confusion and typically there is lots of Voodoo made about it.

There are a some good discussions here in Priuschat, you might want to search for "OBD". For example the changing of comfort function is discussed here

hope this helps

13. db17k

db17k New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ATP? All-The-Packages? see this in "Price paid for your prius" thread all the time

14. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    ATP=Advanced Technology Package. It's only available on the Gen III Prius V/five. ATP consist of Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assist/Lane Departure Warning w/assist, Pre Collision System, Intuitive Parking Assist (full auto), and Navigation System. Sadly it does not include the solar/sun roof package due to weight. It is estimated that about 12% of Gen III Prius sold in the US are Prius V http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii.../83455-1-year-sales-stats-us.html#post1165531 and only 3% are Prius V with Adv Tech Pack. MY11 Prius - PriusChat Forums http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/84304-prius-v-atp-rare.html Some people think that V/ATP is a waste of money while others swear by it. I personally like the package because it is the first Toyota in the US that offers DRCC w/active braking, PCS w/active braking, LKA/LDW, and IPA. And, it's affordable. The least expensive Lexus that offers all of the above is the HS250h at over $43k. But you can't buy the HS250h with tech pack only. You gotta buy the fully loaded HS250h at over 48K to get them. The next up is the LS460 and we all know how expensive that is. Other Toyotas/Lexuses may have similar options but they do not have active braking like the Prius ATP or the HS250h or the LS460. The Sienna's PCS will not brake for you. It only warns you, retracts the seat belts and prepares the braking assist. You still have to apply the brakes.

1 person likes this.
  15. db17k

db17k New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh I see, yeah i don't really care for how Toyota makes you buy a "package" when your really only want 1 or 2 features out it. :rolleyes: Thanks for the clarification

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to clarify, it's the weight btwn the 17" alloys and the solar roof package. For example, the Canadian Technology Package has the solar roof with the tech pack but no 17" alloys.

17. RxGATOR

RxGATOR Go Gators!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What the heck does pip mean or stand for? I'm assuming it's a prius, but why?

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    RxGATOR likes this.
  19. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'd always heard IMHO was "In my humble opinion" and it was used when you really weren't so humble about your opinion <grin>.

<grin> used when your words might be interpreted two ways to indicate you meant the most friendly interpretation or as a joke.

20. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sometimes a pip is mark on the gas gauge.

RCO likes this.