1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriusChat Presents Prius Drive Thru

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Prius Drive Thru

Prius Drive Thru Road Warriors

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hobbit, the "deth wish" shot slayed me. I loved your shots of the trip. It's cool to see places we'll be visiting soon ourselves.

Electric, officially noted you never pronounced judgment on Drive Thru.

And lighten up on Canada. I love that place. We did a priusownersgroup road trip there a few years ago to Quebec City during their Winter Carnaval. It was a complete blast. I've been dying to get back there. It's a truly wonderful city.

And I would love to do the cross continental highway in Canada. The stuff that I've seen from that drive is amazing.

Bob, I totally love the idea of a Prius relay with some kind of trophy that's passed along. A seriously cool idea. We need to do that.

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've driven (and ridden... shared driving) from Winnipeg to the Canadian Rockies, and thence down into Idaho. I'd love to, say, start in Vancouver, and drive all the way across to ... um, showing my ignorance here... the East Coast of Canada. :p

My piece of road trip advice for Prius Drive Thru (Russell)... don't forget to STOP at rest areas! Even if the Prius doesn't need fuel, and YOU don't need to stop for a comfort break, your co-driver probably WILL. ;)

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi Russell,
    I wanted to address this for everyone taking a vacation or long trips. If you are going to use cruise control on a relatively flat stretch of road (actually any road,) the trick is to reset one of the trip meters and then record the data when you pull in for a stop:
    [​IMG]

What we need is:

• start and end location - something we can Google map like exit number and interstate
    • distance - see trip meter
    • MPG - from trip meter
    • average speed - from trip meter
    • temperature - needed to understand air density
    • optional - head or tail wind, rain, A/C, impressions
    In a perfect world, the data table would look like:
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8 Column 9
    0 speed MPG distance temperature starting ending notes
    1 70 62 120 82 Exit-24 I-24 Exit-144 I-24 headwinds
    2 65 58 80 72 Exit-33 I-128 Exit-113 I-128 rain
    The first three elements are critical. Temperature is desirable and starting, ending and notes are optional. The stop-start locations allow us to check altitude as well understand the terrain but don't sweat the small stuff. This makes is easy to enter into a spreadsheet and plot the data. If you are going to record the data on a PDA or phone, just put commas between the fields for easy import into excel.

NOTE: this is not a competition. We only want to know what the Prius does. <grins>

Bob Wilson

4. Prius Drive Thru

Prius Drive Thru Road Warriors

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8 Column 9
    0 speed MPG distance temperature starting ending notes
    1 70 62 120 82 Exit-24 I-24 Exit-144 I-24 headwinds
    2 65 58 80 72 Exit-33 I-128 Exit-113 I-128 rain

Bob, yes that's perfect. I can and will record and report that information daily. I'd love to find a way to accurately report the beginning and ending location. I've contemplated a cheap, handheld GPS for just that purpose. If I can find a hundred bucks or so I might just do that.

And to go off on a tangent here. I think the one thing Toyota hasn't exploited very well with the Prius would be adding a more sophisticated computer system for the driver/passenger to access. I can't help but think how cool that Mac mini was installed in GenII Prius and how even that install didn't really tap into what an integrated computer could do to enhance the driver experience. It would be that expensive to do but obviously it's not a priority.

Bob, if you have any more ideas on data collection, please just let me know. And that applies to anyone else here. If there is something I can reasonably do to document this trip and possibly enhance our understanding of how this new vehicle performs, I'm all for it. Just drop me a line or post here.

Thanks.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you can get a Garmin nuvi, like the 260W, it will automatically record your trip including the altitude. With your Mac, you can read out a complete trace of the trip.

GARMIN NUVI

If you get one, it will have a USB cable that is needed to download and upgrade the software as well as the map. With a Macintosh, there is 'timing' window you have to be careful about or the Garmin's file system will be damaged and it has to be returned. But it can be done:

1. Download the Garmin WebUpdater - have it on the computer before EVER plugging in the nuvi to the USB port.
      1. I had to return the first one because I tried to 'charge' the nuvi batteries with the USB cable and did not dismount it correctly.
    2. Follow the instructions and stay by the Mac during the upgrade, 3-5 minutes, and don't leave it alone. Stay during the "Updating..." phase and monitor progress.
    3. When the message "Please disconnect the device from your computer and allow it to start up" pops up, you have a 30 second window, plenty of time, to disconnect the USB cable. It is a race you need to win.
      1. I had to return the second nuvi because of this (Costco return policy is great!)
    Eventually I got the timing right on the upgrade and life is good.

TRIP LOG

The "Trip Log" is a record of every point until it is cleared. The "Trip Log" can be downloaded by plugging in the Garmin to the USB port and mounting the USB disk image:

1. Open the volume "Garmin"
    2. Open the folder "Garmin/GPX"
    3. Copy the file "Current.gpx" to some local folder and rename it to something you'll remember
    4. Dismount the USB volume (be sure and pull the USB plug)
    5. Startup nuvi, use 'tools', "My Data," and clear the "Trip Log"
    Use the Perl program attached to this message to convert the *.gpx file into an excel compatible text file with time-stamp, longitude, latitude and altitude. Then use excel to convert each point into a relative X-Y location, velocity profile and altitude profile.

A couple of cautions:

• thieves look for evidence of a portable GPS and break the window to grab them - so when you park, make sure all cables and devices are 'hidden' ... this includes the suction mounting disk
    • do put a 4-digit pass code on the GPS so if it is stolen, it will remain unusable and traceable (e-mail yourself the serial number and details)
    • if you use the 12 VDC power plug, the Garmin will work automatically ... there is no need to start it manually as it will automatically find satellites, typically 30 seconds, and automatically trace the path
    • in Huntsville, the nuvi works perfectly fine in the forward cup holder but of course the more exposed it is under the window, the more accurate and reliable the operation
    I understand there are other Garmin tools around that may be easier to use but I wanted access to the raw data and my own analysis routines. Also, XML experts will probably be appalled at my hack and they are welcome to add theirs. <grins>

If this seems technically daunting, send me a PM and we can work something out. But a little practice goes a long way to taking the "newness" off.

PRIVACY CONCERNS

The trip log is automatic and works even if the unit is just powered on and not opened for use. If a software locked, 'nuvi' unit were in a car in a place not known to the driver and reasonably exposed to the sky, the "Trip Log" would provide a record of where ever the car had travelled with enough information to calculate speed. This is a functioning, electronic tail of the car.

Such data could be useful in an accident investigation, challenging a traffic ticket, or understanding why the vehicle mileage has recently taken a dive. However, I have no interest in supporting such investigation analysis of 'nuvi' trip data.

Bob Wilson

Attached Files:

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    LOL! Those darned "interstate" highways... ;)

Ahh... that's why I bumped into you in SF. I didn't realize...

Russell: You gotta drop by a Toyota dealer in each city you've listed, like one particular web site we all know and love? ;) j/k

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <AHEM>Visit a dealership? I don't think so unless invited.

With rare exception, dealerships are going to be 'in town'. The Nashville schedule shows arrival on a Sunday and most dealerships would be closed. Instead, head towards the vistas, the outlooks, the views. Let's ask the local folks to propose 'good places to eat' and places to meet.

Downtown Nashville by "Market Square" has a beautiful park that overlooks the river. There is a Southern tradition of 'bring a dish' and that would be a great place to have a picnic meeting, take photos and enjoy a beautiful vista. But we're just visitors from Huntsville and Nashvillians might have some better suggestions.

I've been to the Unitarian Church in Nashville and it is very nice ... a great place to enjoy and feed the soul. That would be another nice place to meet.

Now another possibility is to survey the "MeetUp" web site and look for Prius friendly groups. It doesn't take much to contact them and ask if they might propose a 'get together.' This would be a great way to reach out to local communities.

Just some random thoughts.

Bob Wilson

ps. I didn't mention it at the time but that "GreenHuman" nonsense showed only dealerships and car lots. They drove past great vistas and bypassed beautiful rivers to hunker down to 'car lots.' That is about as 'green' as visiting an oil refinery.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Russell,
    Can you seek further sponsorship from a road transport company? If you can find a willing transport company to fit your Prius with satellite tracking then vehicle movements, speed and even fuel consumption can all be recorded remotely on some systems and maybe even published on line.
    Some of these systems are
    GPS Vehicle Tracking System | Fleet Management System: SmartTrack
    Get the latest GPS tracking system- versatile tracker that outperforms other systems
    IntelliTrac GPS Tracking System, GPS Stolen vehicle Tracking, GPS Fleet Management. From as little as $.130 per day with No Upfront Costs
    I like this idea! Mighty GPS - trackstick datalogger

I think these are Australia systems but something similar must be available in the USA.
    Maybe you already thought of this?

By the way, there are 7 more states on this side of the Pacific!

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We've had Qualcomm Products and Services - OmniTRACS Mobile Communications System apparently since 1988. About the only info I know about is from what we were told when I interviewed for a job w/them back in 1996 or 1997. They gave us a high level overview of the system and showed us the control/monitoring center at their HQ.

The bowl shaped antenna housing is still pretty commonly seen on big rig trucks around here.

I remember seeing http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2008/01/ces_2008_coverage_gps_buddy_tu.php at CES. Now that I think about it, I think the timeframe is too short to swing any sort of deal/sponsorship before the start of the trip.

10. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    can you post the gpx file?
    i can convert it to KML ( google earth ) and make a screen dump

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for timing this so you'll land at Hybridfest/GDE!
    We should catch up then, it's been way too long, 'specially since
    I just couldn't make the Detroit affair in January as much as
    I tried to plan for it. Maybe we could even meet up earlier
    on the way into Madison, as I'm intending to land in town
    Thursday afternoon to make the cruise-in?? PM me with some
    specifics if you like.
    Sponsorship or not, this is a nice way to pull the owner community
    together. See all the people pile out of the woodwork, with
    "here's *my* roadtrip!" "Here's my *other* roadtrip!" .. and
    Bob over there going "you must collect data and apply SCIENCE!"
    as usual and everyone going "ooh, now we'll all have a better
    view into how the 2010 is on the long haul"...
    And I'll mention that I've been using my removable Garmin to
    download "breadcrumb" trails from my own trips for years now.
    It's *really* handy to have the reference to go back to and confirm
    where you were, and when, and especially how far *up* as the
    log I get includes the best-guess altitude information. You
    can't download that from *any* factory-installed nav, as far
    as I know.
    _H*

12. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    In Sedona, you want to make sure you either drive in, or drive out, on 89A, the highway through Oak Canyon. The switchbacks coming down or going up will make for a great handling test, if you can make yourself ignore the scenery! Stop and take some pics. Take a dip at sliding rock state park!

1 person likes this.
  13. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Any tips on how to follow this on PC or POG? All I can find is the video from the first day. Please don't tell me I need to sign up for Facebook or Twitter.

PA P

14. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what about this picture on the road trip..
    funny mods.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, please keep this off facebook. I get "sorry, we're not cool
    enough to support your browser" when I try to get anything from it.
    Their web people have no idea what "standards" means.
    _H*

16. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does anyone know what kind of a mount is being used for the video camera?

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, FB is failing fast b/c they won't support the 0.00001% of people who nit pick their browser.:rolleyes:

I can't check from work, but I believe the videos are being posted on YouTube...why not searc there for "Prius Drive Thru"

18. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    can only find this.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYa-qc43Mpo]YouTube - Prius Drive Thru[/ame]

19. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really want to be supportive. Especially in light of my dislike of the current mainstream campaign. But so far I just have to say Prius Drive Thru has been like 4 minutes a day I wish I could get back.

I guess I was expecting more like a cable tv program, a little more detailed interaction with the environment and locals. Maybe it's just the 5 minutes or less time constraint. I know this is a produced on the fly, grass roots type of deal but I was hoping for more revelation. Get people to look at The Prius, get comments both positive and negative. Show me a little more of these places you are stopping. So far it's just not enough. It's too much of shot's through a windshield. .........I hate to admit it.......it almost makes me wish for a giant solar powered daisy...

Prius Drive Thru, you sound like great people. You are trying. I once had a friend who got a new camcorder and a new "used" jeep around the same time. I spent a 1/2 hour that felt like 7 days watching footage of the view from his windshield as they drove through Eastern Oregon. Sometimes his wifes foot was propped up on the windshield, sometimes it wasn't...that was about as exciting as it got. For some reason he thought other people might find this entertaining. Please, don't fall into this trap. The road trip has to have a feel, it has to have a personality and you are only going to get that with interaction with the environment and people. Less there are trees, look at the sky, here is traffic...more "How about these pancakes! Meet the locals, impressions of The Prius from others, from you. I know it's asking a lot, but if this fails miserably Toyota will produce even more commercials of singing nature sprites dancing in reaction to low emissions. I feel like I'm trapped between a boring rock and a singing, dancing hard place.