1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriusChat temperature predictions

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Jul 15, 2017.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Somehow I have it in my mind that someone here suggested global -T very early; in our first few years. For history, I'd like to save that. Just as much as any early predictions here that +T might increase on decade or longer time scales.

For your information, neither extreme has yet occurred. Global +T is plugging along in range of 0.15 to 0.20 oC per decade without recent departures. Against that upward flatness, there are folks looking for -T and others for faster +T. Neither gets support they might wish for!

Perhaps I am wrong, and long-ago posts should be allowed to quietly expire. But so far, and until something strongly changes, we are in a time of slow +T. If any old posts made that call (probably mine did not), let us give some award and think more deeply about next few decades.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was looking for a thread to add this: Explainer: How data adjustments affect global temperature records | Carbon Brief

. . . A new report from the rightwing US thinktank, the Cato Institute, even claims that adjustments account for “nearly all the warming” in the historical record.

But analysis by Carbon Brief comparing raw global temperature records to the adjusted data finds that the truth is much more mundane: adjustments have relatively little impact on global temperatures, particularly over the past 50 years.

In fact, over the full period when measurements are available, adjustments actually have the net effect of reducing the amount of long-term warming that the world has experienced.

Just sharing.

Bob Wilson

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    That thread would be "study finds temperature adjustments...". Maybe you did not see it because of blocking PC users?

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Guilty as charged but still no need to turn down the squelch.

Bob Wilson

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm going with the earth will eventually fall into the sun.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There have been a cluster of articles claiming we'll see 2C by 2100 but then I wondered if I may have been blessed or cursed by life in a unique moment in time:
    [​IMG]

Born in December 1949, close enough to round to 1950, until age 20, I grew up in two decades of steady global temperatures. Then during my adult years, I've lived through four decades of increasing temperatures. Can we draw any conclusions about what these observers might have noticed?

This is not a simple question especially when one is the object of the study ... contemplating one's navel. Just it may give some insights about what separates my experience from my youngest brother who is 10 years my junior. Let me give a practical description.

Someone born in 1970 would have always lived in a world of rising temperatures. For them, the symptoms of global warming would be 'normal'.

Bob Wilson

RCO likes this.
  8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What a good point in your last paragraph. Make you wonder when the govt officials were born.....
    or nothing of the sort!

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Earth shouldn't fall into the Sun. But the Sun may swell up enough during its red giant phase to envelope and swallow Earth, if prior mass loss from the enhanced solar winds doesn't cause Earth's orbit to recede far enough. Either way, the planet is in for a serious overcooking. If we don't destroy ourselves first, we'll need to migrate somewhere else.

RCO likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well you just made my day. :ROFLMAO:

RCO likes this.