1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriusChat Wiki spam

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Elektroingenieur, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I noticed today that the Wiki menu in the top navigation bar has a first item suggesting that it’s been compromised by spammers. The Wiki Page List also contains quite a few off-topic pages with external links, presumably placed to take advantage of PriusChat’s favorable search engine rankings.

(As an aside: from my perspective, this is far less important than the ongoing site errors covered elsewhere. The outages are inconvenient, but the lack of communication is more concerning. It casts some doubt on PriusChat’s future, and it makes me stop and think about whether I should keep contributing. PriusChat’s operators owe me nothing, of course, but it’s hardly worth the effort to research and write relevant postings, if the site hosting them can’t stay online or is likely to disappear.)

RCO likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    While on Priuschat last night (with FireFox, on a Win 10 PC), I noticed (even though I have an Ad Blocker) a sudden plethora of ads, and when I clicked on an link internal to PriusChat, I was yoinked to a page, purporting be my service provider, but with another address, something natural dot com.

Then a pop-up saying lucky me, I was picked to participate in a survey from my service provider. Kept getting better: clicking on home page icon was ineffective, closing/reopening the browser ditto. Rebooting, ditto. Finally after a CCleaner purge of cookies, and switch to an alternate AdBlock, things got back to normal.

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It could have been MUCH worse.
    When the owner can't even keep up with necessary maintenance items, you KNOW that he isn't paying any attention to what "pass through" ads are coming into the site. And they can contain some REALLY nasty stuff.

RCO likes this.
  4. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I tried to open the site yesterday early in the morning and it was a jumbled mess. Left the site right away.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The addicts stick around, doing multiple refreshes, trying to read through the clutter, can't stay away.

fuzzy1, RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Site was down most of yesterday for me, but came back today. (?)