1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriusChat's 2010 Prius In-Depth Review and First Drive

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Mar 25, 2009.

1. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been told there is no key fob slot because all Prius will have SKS, the only difference from model to model is the number of doors you can unlock the car from. Lower spec cars driver's door, higher spec both front doors. As said in other posts there is a proximity loop near the power button which can be used when the fob battery is flat (or when SKS is off. I guess there is a switch?).

Thanks Danny for a great review, I look forward to my test drive later in the year.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is "the Volt"? Is Toyota bringing out a new model?
    A CD player could have played up in a car that gets 15mpg, what gas savings would you have lost then?
    Not being critical of your post just looking from another angle.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't seen a switch on newer models (since there isn't a slot to insert the key).

4. JERRRY

JERRRY New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I'm 6'3" do you think I will fit? JERRRY

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The front seats have gained an inch of rearward travel. Would that help?

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I'm 6' tall and when I sat to test the vehicle, I found myself very comfortable and with the extended range of the seat and butt hight adjustment better yet. This 2010 is a keeper for me.

7. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Danny for giving an honest and "real" review... it has excited me once again to drive a fresh new car with new toys!...

I would find it hard to go with another make of car now that I have been so spoiled with all the goodies the Prius offers... anything else would be flat out boring... except a new improved one of course!

Although I had prayed plugin and an extended battery, all the other added amenities cannot be ignored or taken lightly.

I can't wait to own one.

8. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Danny -

Your review comments on handling and quietness, but not on "ride". Can you elaborate on your impressions of harshness of ride and ability to withstand bumps and potholes, comparing the 15" and the 17" wheels, and compared to Gen II?

Thanks

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree waiting will be interesting... but waiting only on behalf of Toyota.
    Although I'm glad to see others attempting to get into the hybrid market and even do new things, I'm "extremely" nervous about anything coming out of GM... not because they are evil, but because they are inexperienced in this new field and even the field they proclaim dominance in, they are on the verge of bankruptcy with uncertain futures at best and no track record in this arena.
    They will need bargain basement prices to make the risks of buying their product worth considering.

Seems most of the rivals are playing it safe with electric only... simple motors with little to go wrong playing it safe, but making a true hybrid takes a bit of savvy.

Meanwhile we can rest assured that whatever Toyota puts out, it will work!.... although I'm sure they would like to have even better technology out there, I can bank that the stuff they have chosen to release has been thoroughly tested "based on their track record" as being trustworthy.

Few companies have taken risks time after time with new innovative technology and actually pulled it off without failing and starting at scratch... Toyota has!

GM is a baby in this new market.... who knows what one will get when they buy from them?
    Although some of their claims sound romantic, I'm hesitant to take the crown of a failing company as being worth anything.
    I'm also hesitant to deal with someone grasping for straws to stay alive.

Waiting is always an option... but like computers... no matter when you buy, there will always be better around the corner.

So when do I buy.... Humm... thats a hard call.

But so far, Toyota is the only one offering more than a house made of cards.

10. YotaCarFan

YotaCarFan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is the navigation system substantially better than what's in Toyota's 2009 vehicles (e.g. 7.1 DVD), other than the addition of NavTraffic? I find the existing system sluggish to respond to user input, limited in features, and to have poor voice recognition. Also, how does the high-end Prius' audio system's sound quality compare to standard (not premium upgrade version) Toyota/Lexus systems? I've got an ES350 with standard audio (Pioneer) that has a horrid sound quality, and I'm hoping I can get something better in a 2010 Prius, without having to pay the cost premium for a 2010 HS250h.

11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To be honest I didn't write about "ride" because I didn't notice the ride much while driving or riding shotgun. I suppose that is a good thing and means that there were no issues with the ride. I do remember hitting one pothole pretty good and thinking that I was glad to see the VSC didn't kick in and wreak havoc, but I didn't note how it felt on my tush.

Again, I guess those are good things :)

12. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I didn't play around with the Nav very much, unfortunately. I messed around with it enough to check on the lock-out and to see if most the layout was the same. Based on the information I've been given from Toyota, the whole system should have better voice recognition. Response speed? I don't know - it will still be a DVD-based system instead of a HDD system like the HS250h is getting.

I don't have as much experience with other Toyota sound systems like I do the Prius, but the 2010 Prius system is still not very good. Adding a $150 sub under the rear cargo area will make all the difference in the world.

13. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    The sound quality is not much better than the "upgraded" JBL system of years past, still it's a JBL low end equipment, do not keep your hopes high.

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Danny, I would like to ask a question about the 3 modes, "Eco, Normal, and Power"

I read your description and what I"m confused about is that I remember they said that the 3 modes are active until the pedal is pressed farther than about half way at which time the 3 modes converge into one.

Meaning that if you have it in eco mode and punch the pedal to the floor, it will quickly give you the same power as if you were in power mode and did the same thing.

I noticed you said at full highway speeds is when you noted the difference the most.. if so, "how" did you do the test?... did you do a full depression of the gas pedal to the floor or did you mean the overall feel with normal driving and passing techniques "which may only require partial depression of the pedal"?

I guess here is my final reasoning for asking this question.. . is there ever an honest need to leave the mode in anything besides "eco" unless your showing off or just having fun?

If you got in a bind in an unexpected moment, do you feel you would be at any disadvantage in any way for power if you had it in eco mode at the time verses power mode?

15. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good questions!

Based on my understanding, when you press the "pedal to the metal" the throttle opening is the same in ECO as it would be in PWR - wide open.

There's a great graph that I'll try to get from Toyota that shows the difference in throttle performance between the 3 modes (ECO, PWR, and Normal). The lines all start out at the same point and end at the same point. The widest gap between the PWR and ECO modes is in the middle.

I meant the overall feel with normal driving and passing techniques with only about a 50% pedal depression. Like I stated above, flooring it will produce the same power output no matter what mode you are in.

Based on the conditions I was driving in, I saw no problem leaving the Prius in ECO mode the whole time. If I was climbing the mountain up to my house and needed some extra throttle response I might have it in PWR, or if I was trying to aggressively drive in heavy traffic, but for 95% of the situations you find yourself in I bet you'll be able to leave it in ECO and forget it.

I would definitely feel like I was at a disadvantage over PWR mode if it was a situation that would take advantage of the PWR mode throttle response (50% pedal depression). It really puts some kick in the Prius. That said, if I didn't know the PWR mode existed, would I feel like the ECO mode would put me in danger? Probably not. I'll have to do some testing in those types of situations to really know, though.

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks.... the graph would indeed be interesting.

It will be quite fun knowing we have that option available.

Can you also ask how much more it would cost to integrate a little nitrous oxide when we hit the power button? :p

Of course we don't want too much so as to activate the antiskid mechanisms while going over 70mph! :D

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Test it out on the new Venza, it will be the same system on the new Prius.

The JBL audio is ok. Better than the previous one but I don't think as good as the JBL on our 02 Camry.

18. smith6806

smith6806 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    After driving a Honda Civic Hybrid, for the last 5 years, I finally decided it was time to get a Prius. The only question was whether to get a 2009 or 2010. Saturday, my wife and I took a new 2009 for a ride and were very pleased with the ride and performance, but when I sat my 6' frame in the rear seat, my head hit the headliner. Since this car would be our family car and my 6' son would be riding in the back, I had to rule out the 2009 as my next car.

19. smith6806

smith6806 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Sorry folks, my previous post, posted before I finished.
    I have read that the 2010 has .3" more headroom than the 2009, could someone, who has sat in the rear seat of a 2010, preferably 6' in height, tell me whether there is a significant difference in the 2010 rear headroom.
    Thank you.

20. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm 5'' 10" and when I sat in the back of the 2010 I definitely noted the extra headroom. At 6 foot I think you should be ok, maybe a little hair rub if you've got a lot on top Lol