1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriusChat's 2016 Toyota Prius First Drive Video Review

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I did not notice any change with getting in and out the car. I didn't have to prop myself up to get out of it like I do in my MR2 Spyder.

I can ask about the weight distribution, but I know they'll never give a true power comparison for the Gen 3 vs Gen 4. The reason for that is $$$. It would cost considerable expense to re-test the Gen 3 Prius under the new test and the same for the Gen 4.
    Not that I noticed, though I never pulled into a residential driveway with it.
    The cargo space is bigger than Gen 3. That I can say for sure. What I can't say is how any calculations may have changed over the years. But there is a significant space difference between the Gen 2 vs Gen 3 vs Gen 4. It's not just a paper stat.

minnyprius likes this.
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I tentatively calculate about same volume in rear of liftback (approx Gen4=Gen3) except on Gen3 it was split with about 2 ft3 below the floor. Here I am calc'ing on "with spare tire basis".

I agree probably way better to not have the below floor sub-space.

I gotta assume EPA Cargo Space must involve reclining the 60/40 seat backs and then there probably are some rules about where the window line is.

#42 wjtracy, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  3. ankitgu

ankitgu New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm anxious to buy a Prius at some point - looks like nice improvements this year, but I'm going to hold out till an improved 0-60 and ideally, AWD.

My guess is that the electric motor is only engaged up to about 30 mph and not above that? I'm not sure about the cost or technical differences, but if it were to be available up to 60 mph, that might be a good bit of additional power for acceleration.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! you have great patience my friend.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Engine off is possible up to 70mph in the new Prius. That's 26mph better than the 3rd Gen.

6. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You will have to wait another 6 years, or buy your self a RAV4 hybrid.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    0-60 is such an exaggerated, worthless number at this point with cars.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course it is. it's important to people who aren't going to buy a gen IV prius, and don't want anyone else to buy one either.;)

Netcub likes this.
  9. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "The rear wheels are driven by an induction motor located in the middle of the right and left rear wheels. The maximum output and torque of the motor are 5.3kW and 55Nm, respectively. Power is supplied through an inverter located under the luggage space without boosting the battery voltage of the hybrid system (201V).

On the other hand, for the new Prius, the E-Four system is activated only at the time of starting moving, slipping on a low-friction road surface, etc. The maximum operating speed of the system is 70km/h."

4WD Prius Drives Rear Wheels With Induction Motor for Fuel Economy(Nov 24, 2015)

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @Sergiospl , put these links as a new thread in the news section. This way, more people will see it. It'll get lost in this thread. :)

Sergiospl likes this.
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rather astounding that 4WD is 20% of Japan market. Subaru's?

Wow that's like a big promotion, way to go Sergio!

Tideland Prius and Sergiospl like this.
  12. ankitgu

ankitgu New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You may be right - I'm probably not in the target market for the Prius. I mostly admire the Prius for all of the unique technologies and innovations that went into it to get such great energy efficiency and that's what makes me want it.

I do also know that this alone is not enough for me. I'm looking for something that also gives me a little bit more performance, because in my mind, having an engine in addition to electric motors should allow for that. I think electric motors are going to be capable of more performance than gasoline motors have been, but obviously the limitation is in battery technology. For short bursts of enjoyment, I think the electric components will enable that. They haven't yet.

I've driven the Prius, a family member has owned one, and I really do enjoy everything about it - except I would like a little more performance.

I know I'm not in the target market for Toyota and so it doesn't make sense for them to veer away from a focus purely on energy efficiency. I'm just saying that if they had a little more performance, possibly from the addition of an electric motor or two to power the rear wheels and also provide AWD at the same time, I would preorder a Prius. When I buy a car to keep for 15 years, I'm naturally a little picky.

13. ankitgu

ankitgu New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds like a great design - AWD isn't needed 90% of the time, but it is helpful when you get moving and if the front wheels are slipping at all.

14. JStrenk

JStrenk Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only time I have a problem in the winter is getting started moving on the ice covered roads. Snow is no real problem. I've gone down my driveway when the snow was so deep, it was going over the car. Of course it was real fluffy snow. Still Ice under the snow is my biggest problem, even with my Blizzsaks on the car. Maybe studs this year though.

My Gen 3 is getting a little long in the tooth and I was hoping the 2016 AWD would be an option. Heck, I couldn't talk the dealer into selling me a PIP. He said they are only for NY and CA buyers... Maybe he'll try harder with AWD..

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can buy one out of state.

16. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
  17. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Toyota holds well over 40% of Japanese vehicle market and almost every model is available with AWD. Yaris, Corolla and many other smaller and larger cars and vans are available as AWD.

wjtracy likes this.
  18. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...why is that though?...is there that much snow?

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That a great review. I am not buying the increase in Cargo Space, but I am not going to dwell on it unless someone else wants to talk about it. I agree the cargo space might be better but not much bigger.