1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius's spontaneously catching on fire?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jrmason, Feb 21, 2008.

1. jrmason

jrmason New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I am really leaning toward getting a used Prius. So, I thought I'd contact one of my friends at a local car dealership and ask his opinion and what he comes across in the auto auctions. He tells me the Prius is a really popular car and before I lay down the cash on one he wants to send me an e-mail. It was about a Prius that caught on fire in somebody's driveway in the middle of the night. My friend further tells me that this isn't an isolated occurance.

As all of you Prius owners have you seen or had any problems with your cars? I checked the Office of Defects site and haven't seen any fire complaints listed for Prius's from '04-'07. The issue that is most often listed is problems with the car just shutting down at highway spreeds. Like the computer needs to be re-booted.

What problems have you had with your car?

Thanks for your help!

Jon

2. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My suggestion would be to peruse the PC site and most problems are listed here by owner questions.
    My Prius only has 400 miles on it so far so I'm not a good judge as to long term problems BUT, I have not heard or seen anything related to Prius "spontaneous Combustion" problems.
    Possibly an irate salesman from another company started the fire mentioned in the email.:target:

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pure hogwash. If your friend can direct you to a source which describes the cause of that fire we'd love to know of it. And most of the shutdowns that we know of occured because the driver ignored the flashing light on the fuel gauge and ran out of gas.

Having said that, a Prius is a complicated car. Even more than for other cars it's a good idea to pay a certified Prius technician (almost all of them are at dealers) to thoroughly check it over before you buy it. Also search the title to be certain that it is not a salvage.

kenoarto and Data Daedalus like this.
  4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Another urban legend. While he's telling stories, ask him about the station wagon with the JATO bottles.

Tom

Data Daedalus likes this.
  5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Prii can and have caught on fire. Any car can if the right parts are exposed to a combustion source. If someone torched the car in question, the story is plausible. That has happened. I will assume, however, that your friend is suggesting spontaneous Prius combustion, or that it otherwise is at higher risk of fire because of its design.

To save the OP and others a little time, there was another thread about this last year. The thread was started by someone investigating a fire in a garage with a Prius. Unfortunately, he never returned to provide more detail. One of the respondents did a Google search and turned up one possible spontaneous combustion. Unfortunately, the link in that post is now obsolete. Meanwhile, another post links to pics of a burned-out Prius, but that was an arson case. Maybe that's the case your friend is familiar with.

Bottom line: If he, again, is suggesting spontaneous combustion, I agree with the others: urban legend. And I agree with Richard: Press him to disclose a legitimate source with firsthand details, if he can. I bet he can't.

Bluegrassman and Data Daedalus like this.
  6. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    quote from owner garage ( post 33 from trhead link above )
    The Fire Marshall ruled it as arson; same for the garage down the block.

Bluegrassman likes this.
  7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That wasn't the original poster. Post 33 was providing more information on post 31 -- a different incident and person. The OP made his post and never offered any follow-up information.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As Homer Simpson said :Grade A bull plop.

1 person likes this.
  9. sugar land dave

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Spontaneous combustion? Did you also know that they will electrocute you if you have an accident? I just read it was reported on TV.

Have you heard that UFOs are really craft from ancient Earth civilizations that moved underground and under the ocean? Oh, and I really am a Ford salesman, but use my time off to post on Prius forums.

These are all facts! Well, maybe I am not really a Ford salesman, but I am sure the rest are true! I read those things and saw them on TV! ;)

PS: It just occurred to me that those cars catching on fire could be the Aliens phasering the Prius. After all, we know the Prius was built using stolen Alien technology from the Roswell crash! :D

Oh, and :welcome: to a great forum filled with great people with great knowledge to share. I didn't hear that on TV, but personal experience has proven it to be true.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The aliens aren't phasering the Prius, they are doing anal probes. Once that probe hits the HV wiring it's Poof, spontaneous combustion.

Tom

dbcassidy and Data Daedalus like this.
  11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Spontaneous combustion?

Right.

And you can't drive in the rain or you'll be electrocuted.

ROFLOL!

dbcassidy and Data Daedalus like this.
  12. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Only American Gas Guzzling vehicles catch fire.

13. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius will spontaneously catch on fire if you spill fuel all over it, light a match and throw at it.

Believe it or not, the same will happen if you do the same to a Camry hyrbid.

14. Rockville1

Rockville1 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No worries. The Prius comes with a full 350,000 mile spontaneous combustion warranty (500,000 in California)!!! :D

PriusGuy32 and Data Daedalus like this.
  15. Rockville1

Rockville1 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh, and I think there is a hack available if you prefer your car to spontaneouly combust (can't be used with the NAV override hack though :mad:).

16. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As you can see, people are poking fun at the "spontaneous Combustion" theory, not you.
    As I said earlier, cruise through the site and you will see what "generally" can go wrong and does on "occasion".
    Prius has the highest marks for people that would buy another Prius at Consumer Reports (I believe it was 93%). Thats saying something :hail: for the quality of the Prius.
    Personal choice for what you decide on getting is a great thing, use it.

17. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Spontaneous combustion :rolleyes::confused:. That is what insurance is for :rofl:. I agree...just another urban legend.

18. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The guy at Best Buy said that if I get in an accident the battery acid will burn all the way through my skin and there is no way of stopping it, short of cutting off the appendage. :eek:

19. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh maaaaaannnn! I hate those anal probes!!

HGS likes this.
  20. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Can we get a button on the steering wheel to make it spontaneously combust? I am kinda lazy when it comes to turning my Prius into a fireball...