1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PriusXM install question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pottedmeat, Sep 22, 2007.

1. pottedmeat

pottedmeat New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was wondering if anyone can help me out here.... I'm in the middle of a PriusXM installation, and I've managed to rip out most of my dash. The funny thing is, when I managed to disconnect the MFD, I noticed that the connector socket that would have been occupied by the XM tuner is already occupied by another wire/connection.

As far as I know, I don't have any sat radio equipment pre-installed.... what else can it be? Is it ok to leave it disconnected when I finish the XM installation?

An d more importantly, what the hell am I thinking ripping apart my brand new Prius like this? Am I some kind of idiot?!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, unless you already have a DICE adapter or some other after market device plugged in you should have an open slot in the back of the head unit. Double check to make sure you're looking at the right socket.

If you'd have come here before you tore your dash apart we could've saved you some work...you can plug in the XM connector 'blind' with the removal of just one dash piece, the lower glove box, and loosening one ECU that gets in the way. But the experience will serve you well as you add other cool mods to your Prius.

3. pottedmeat

pottedmeat New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 22 2007, 08:09 PM) [snapback]516357[/snapback]</div>

I had read a number of posts on the subject, and I saw that many were able to do the install without disconneting every panel in the dash. Me, I was just making sure I was following the DVD to the letter, even going so far as to play it step-by-step on my laptop in the car.

Anyway, I think I have a bigger problem. Looking at the cable that came with my kit and the connections on the back of the MFD (currently sitting on my computer desk), I notice that there is NO socket of the proper size to accomodate the wire that came with the PriusXM kit. There are three white sockets on the top of the unit. Two are very large and one is much smaller. Next to these is a even smaller blue socket. All of these were occupied when I originally disconnected the unit.

Thanks for the prompt reply.... Let me get my camera and I'll get some pictures up in a second.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pottedmeat @ Sep 22 2007, 08:28 PM) [snapback]516360[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, I guess it would be worth mentioning, this is a 3-week old 2007 with the JBL stereo and nav. As far as I know, there are no aftermarket parts that I am aware of.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The cable doesn't plug into the MFD...it plugs into the head unit of the stereo.

5. pottedmeat

pottedmeat New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 22 2007, 08:35 PM) [snapback]516362[/snapback]</div>

Er.

Um.

Yeeeeaaaah.

Ah.

Heh.

You are absolutely right and now I just feel silly.

Ah well. I'll take silly over the nervous twitching I was experiencing a few minutes ago.

Thanks for the help! Time to go put my car back together....

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL!! Just glad you got 'er together!
    Lemme know when you're ready for the OEM EV button!

7. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    B) I also have 2007 with navigation. Look on page 260 of your owners manual it explains how your vehicle should already be able to receive XM satellite radio if you have a paid subscription.

8. pottedmeat

pottedmeat New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 22 2007, 08:44 PM) [snapback]516365[/snapback]</div>
    So it took 4 hours working in 90+ degree humidity and I'm probably going to need a tetanus shot, but when it was all said and done, the install looks as clean as a baby's bottom and worked the first time. Which is good, because if it didn't, everyone would have been treated to the sight of a grown man crying and taking a crowbar to his car.

That being said, Jon's little DVD is worth its weight in gold. Lucky for us, DVDs don't weigh very much....

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pottedmeat @ Sep 23 2007, 10:08 AM) [snapback]516517[/snapback]</div>
    Bet you could do it in 30 min. the next time around...once you get over the anxiety factor the Prius comes apart and goes together quite easily. I've done so many little mods on my Prius and never did anything as radical on any of my previous vehicles...it's part of the fun.