1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Private viewing of the Prius v in Staten Island, NY

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Paradox, May 16, 2011.

1. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How's the rear visibility?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok now I don't get it. It's the same design as the cover! I guess the only advantage is the outer rim area that is covered (and where the weight savings are but it seems like the difference is smaller than on the standard Prius)

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well, Friday morning, and no call... USB, I don't know for sure he can stay that late if he does in fact show by 4:30-5pm and I'd hate for you to drive that far/pay the $13 toll etc. Is there anything in way of questions/pictures you would want asked/taken?

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I may be able to leave at 3pm for the long weekend. If not, I'll give you a call before I leave to check on the situation.

5. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds good, definitely drop me a line when you can later.

I got the phone call not too long ago and he will be there at 4:30pm confirmed. Sorry it's early USB but I am unfortunately working midnight shifts right now at work so I still need to get back to have dinner with the family by 6-6:30ish... :(

6. DanMode

DanMode Brooklyn Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmm, now I'm stuck in the office and not entirely sure when I'll be heading out. I think I might be able to get there around 5-5:30. And man, is it just me, or did a volcano erupt not too far from here? It's burnin' out there! :embarassed:

7. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My wife just called from the FDR on an Express Bus and she said it's crazy out there traffic wise. I'd say holiday traffic strikes again but traffic blows no matter what day it is here in NY.

Here's to hoping you guys can make it, my co worker who was coming already bailed but his kid had to get an emergency appointment with his dentist so I'll let him off the hook.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cargo space is awesomely big! The rear seats are comfortable. Sliding is just awesome! It enables the most efficient use of space.

We got to see what appears to be a base model with standard features. Here are unique pictures that you will not see from the press coverage.

The standard 6.1" screen with backup camera (also standard).
    [​IMG]

New Tonneau Cover that also covers the gap between the seat.
    [​IMG]

Rear spoiler with interesting curve
    [​IMG]

Under body (Front)
    [​IMG]

Under body (Rear)
    [​IMG]

Halogen Projector with aero diffuser for the side view mirror
    [​IMG]

SULEV II, nothing less
    [​IMG]

Recommended tire pressure
    [​IMG]

Model - ZVW41L. Interestingly, the car was manufactured 9 months ago.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prius v pulled up into the trailer. Craig forgot to remove the wheel covers to tie it down so he backed up (well, down).

10. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Man, that rear bumper looks really square, oversized and unappealing!

11. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Rear bumper or spoiler? We all actually thought the spoiler looked kinda cool in person with the edges they gave it for aerodynamics.

12. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The spoiler looks cool as heck. It's the bumper that made stop the video and rewind to take a closer look.

13. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have pictures I'll upload later as well but it was a great evening seeing the car and meeting up with more Priuschat members. Ryan took pics of his car seats in the back seat as well so I'm sure he'll chime in later about what he thought of the car.

Overall I was quite impressed. The trunk is considerably roomier than a 'regular' Prius and the rear seats are very roomy as well. I am 5'10" and had plenty of leg room with the front seats back all the way and the rear seats having the ability to recline backwards 45 degrees makes for fun sleep time if you're lucky enough to be back there and not driving. From reading the specs put out last week, it is beleived that the car we saw was a base model and it had the 'low end' radio which was still a touch screen. I love these new radios. Even for a base model, it still had a high res screen, MUCH better looking than the one in my Gen III with the $1800 navigation system. I hope that the launch of the 2012's (regular Prius that is) uses these new head units. Having data moved back there as well is nicer than the vacuum florescent display. The doors have a very slight curve on the inside to get more width while sitting in the rear (and front too I think but I took more notice of it in the back). I also liked how they put the rear cup holders at the rear of the front center armrest, and not in the rear center armrest. I didn't like that change for the Gen III. And the colorized top display also looked very nice in person. I like that as well better than the one color of the Gen III so hopefully they will slowly move that into the 'regular' Prius as well. The vent for the battery cooling has also been moved under the rear seat now, not off the the side like in the Gen II and III.

I'll write more as I think of it later and post up some pics as well. Thanks to Toyota for making this happen and for the people who came out to see it!

1 person likes this.
  14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought 42 MPG was good for the bigger Prius. After seeing, feeling the size and capability of it, the impressiveness of the 42 MPG hit me hard. This car truely deserves to be named Prius.

I think the gas engine is quieter, definitely more than gen2. One of the guy that stopped by (Accord owner) thought a fan came on.

Everything that I did not like about Gen3 has been addressed in Prius v. That includes:
    - Soft panels on the front dash
    - No flying dash with gear shifter allowing open space feeling
    - Standard LCD with backup camera. You don't need to get an expensive package for a backup cam
    - Center console hand rest flips open from left to right. Much easier than Gen2 that opens by pulling up from the front - akward position. Gen3 slides to the rear taking the knee room of the middle rear passenger
    - Two cup holders behind the center console is back

I Love the rear seats. They are so flexible! I thought the interior fabric materiors were cheap looking. But then it is a base model.
    -

15. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Q: Is there a secret compartment under the hatch?

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, there is. You can store the tonneau cover hidden from view as well.

The rear tail/brake lights are very easy to get to as well. It is a very well thought out design.

17. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    And behind the rear seats they even put a 'secret compartment' to store an emergency umbrella for rainy days. I took pics of that too and will post later. Unfortunately I cannot post the pics until tomorrow, but I promise to get them uploaded.

Also while the color looks the same as the Plug In Prius demo vehicles being driven around right now it is not the same color. That blue is a more purplish blue while this is more of a sky blue. I forget the name of the blue on the car yesterday (I have it on my camera as a video so I can post that later as well) but the blue that will make production may in fact be this blue just renamed, the driver said he simply wasn't sure.

18. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did anyone look under the front seats to see what's down there? Any possibility to put a small sub in that space?

Also, is the right rear cubby hole large enough for a subwoofer enclosure?

19. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Sorry I didn't look under the front seats or take notice of how big the rear cubby hole was so unsure just how much room there is. I wish more people would have asked us to check out more stuff for them, towards the end we were like what else can we try and find... I 'think' the rear cubby hole was kind of like the regular Prius but not certain.

Oh, and just for Tom, Ryan did bring a sheep. :D

[​IMG]

20. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here's the rest of the photos on Flickr. If you notice they tried to make the doors slimmer so there is more room around your hips. Also, I had never seen the middle seat belt for the rear seats in a vehicle retract into the ceiling but that's how it is in the v. That was unique for me. Also, they added this clip which holds the metal part of the seat belt in pace when no one s sitting in the back. And I noticed in one of the instrument cluster shots I took you can see the icons for the radar cruise control. In the v they are just small lights instead of a larger display as seen on the vacuum fluorescent display int eh 'regular' Prius.

Flickr: Paradox2099's Photostream

2 people like this.