1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Probable first issue found with sunroof

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Frederickdawg, May 6, 2016.

1. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So there seems to be an issue with the sunroof already ( 2 weeks since ownership) . In UP/ DOWN mode it will not fully close and causes wind noise. With up down I'm referring to the tilt functionality. I don't get the message sunroof open when leaving vehicle however.

The work around is for me to open the sunroof in the horizontal mode and then close it again to get a proper seal and to eliminate wind noise.

In the image you can see that the rear part of the moonroof sits lower than the metal roof. uploadfromtaptalk1462540459703.jpg

LG-H901 ? Read the manual performed reset , we'll see. LG-H901 ? Nope the reset made no difference. So basically to remedy the situation one either must open and close the sunroof or after closing it from tilt mode bump the button to make the moon roof rear part raise and become flush with the roof panel. Am I taking this in for warranty work ? Am I hell.

LG-H901 ?

2. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does this mean sunroofs will leak? crap, I hate going back and complaining.

3. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It won't leak. , just wind noise.

LG-H901 ?

Jim in NC likes this.
  4. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Frederic have you noticed any more things on our Prius that I should mention?

I'm taking mine in tomorrow morning. It has a buzzing sound in the left dash area.

I keep getting all these ridiculous things in the mail from my dealership and Toyota. I wish they would quit spamming me!

5. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am sorry to hear that. It sounds so familiar, because I had those same issues with my 2005 Camry. The dealer said he "reset the computer?" But the moonroof was never the same and the problem kept reoccurring. I finally just quit using it when the roof kept failing to close! (That's why I chose a Three model, with no moonroof. I don't miss it. I hope they can fix yours.) That's weird, Jim. I haven't received one thing in the mail. In fact, not even license plates! :LOL: It's been 65 days. Is your dash buzzing sound constant? Or only at certain speeds? You might also have them check the left front tire balance (if they don't find a reason in the dash.)

Frederickdawg likes this.
  6. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The buzz seems to happen at only certain rpms. I notice it during acceleration.

7. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do you have the same issue or just joking around, sometimes hard to identify via forums. ;-)

There was some buzzing or resonating from the passenger area earlier today , didn't really look into it too much may have been the sunvisor or sunpass toll system stuck on windshield.
    Probably the usual windshield buzzing against dash or something malarkey. Lol.

Got no letters from Toyota, just their statement. ;-) LG-H901 ? It's quite alright and i appreciate the concern. Life experiences have taught me that sometimes certain things are best left alone , especially if it involves ripping out half the interior to remedy a minor annoyance , then being left with other multiple issues and stresses to deal with. I think you know what I'm talking about ;-)

She never used the sunroof in her previous vehcile. Only reason I found out about this problem is I was secretly vaping in her car earlier today with roof open lol.

LG-H901 ?

Jim in NC and Coast Cruiser like this.
  8. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree. I hate having a dash rattle because they usually have to remove the entire dash and all the electronics... :eek: Fortunately, I only had one odd vibration/rattle on the right side, but it quickly went away and I never heard it again. ( I believe the vibration originated in the engine compartment, or tire)

I used the "tilt" feature on my moonroof pretty frequently for extra ventilation. But rarely drove with it fully open because of the noise that came in the cabin. But then the entire thing quit working, so the hell with it. :ROFLMAO:

9. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My theory is that the closed position from tilt was not setup lined up correctly during installation. QC was off sick or on a cig break.

On other rides, the glass moonroof could be loosened slightly. Then one would make adjustments and re tighten. I haven't looked into the corners of the glass roof part to see if the screws are visible or not.

LG-H901 ?

10. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, but thanks for the info about the sunroof. I have checked mine thoroughly and it seems to be good.

I'm just taking it for 'buzz' noise in the dash. Hopefully they can find it and fix it.

Haha! I just realized why I'm getting so much stuff in the mail -- it's related to both car purchases!

Funny thing is, I've gotten 4 letters from the dealership thanking me for buying the car. Miscellaneous stuff from Toyota.

What I really am interested in is getting is a survey from Toyota.

11. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll bet you a large pizza that the dealer "can't recreate" the buzz noise. ;)

I need to correct what I said earlier. I do now remember receiving a survey letter in the mail, from Toyota Corporate. It directs you to a website to take the survey....

Jim in NC likes this.
  12. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Found the rattle. Let's just say note to one self. Before chasing rattles empty vehicle from all its contents . LOL

LG-H901 ?

gwav64, Coast Cruiser and ETP like this.
  13. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Usually it is something in a tray or glove box. Even had a rear tag do that. My wife and I decided no sun roof this time around as we hope to keep these longer. Do miss the solar fan.

14. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And just don't ever use or open the sunroof... and it's all good! :LOL: :ROFLMAO: (y)

When my Camry moonroof finally drew it's last breath, I wasn't sad. It was a pain in the rear. I owned that car for 11 years, and the moonroof was the only thing that broke.

ETP and Frederickdawg like this.
  15. prominence

prominence Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi guys, any updates on the moonroof issue? Mine also has the same wind noise issues once closing from the "tilt" opening. If I retract the moonroof and close it that way, it seals appropriately and no wind noise occurs. Dealer acknowledges & is able to replicate the wind noise issue but is waiting for more info from Toyota rep / looking for another 2016-2017 Prius with moonroof to see if the issue replicates on theirs. Any advice greatly appreciated!