1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

problem can not start the car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Vanne, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Vanne

Vanne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it have vent tube that why I wonder this battery used
    Water battery (acid) or not

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The correct 12V battery is AGM (absorbed glass mat), which means that the battery acid is absorbed into white fiberglass mats. The battery has a vent which allows hydrogen gas to be routed to the exterior of the car.

It would be safest to replace with a similar battery which has the same physical dimensions and provisions for a vent.

However if the correct battery is too expensive or not available, then you can substitute a traditional 12V battery with liquid acid covering the plates. Be aware that this poses a safety hazard in the event your car is hit hard in the right rear fender where the battery is located. The battery may split open and spray liquid acid around.

3. Vanne

Vanne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my country ( Cambodia ) don't have the orginal
    Battery as it product of USA anyways I replace with. Korea products but different Ah my original is 43ah
    And New is 55ah it would have any issue for that ?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The larger the Ah rating, the better; as long as the battery will physically fit into the space.

The original equipment battery is made by GS Yuasa in Japan, so if the battery installed in your car is different, then the original battery had already been replaced prior to your ownership.

5. Vanne

Vanne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes correct patrick Wong. Thank you for your help