1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem. Car is dead, jump start did not help.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Corwyn, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This morning I went to start the car, the lights flickered and then everything went dead. The car has been acting up a bit, spurious warning lights, etc. so I thought the 12v battery was failing. This seem to confirm.

However, hooking up jumper cables did not do anything. No starting, no lights. Nothing.

Anyone have any suggestions? Should I just replace the 12v battery? Where is the cheapest place to pick one up (the local NAPA stores said 2-3 weeks).

Thank You Kindly.

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]
    OK, maybe a bit of overkill in the cartoon, but I find it amusing!
    Anyway, yes, you are going to need a new 12 volt battery. A yellowtop optima would be best, there is now a model for Prius, no adapters needed ... Optima DS46B24R Optima battery $175 direct fit replacement for Prius 2004 + & Plug-in Prius with Instructions Once you get that in, you should be fine. Unless you inadvertently reversed polarity on your jump attempt. That could be costly. But one step at a time, battery first!
    Keep us posted on what happens next!

Corwyn likes this.
  3. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here in SoCal got the Optima battery at Autozone but may be cheaper ordering from Amazon. Youtube is helpful to take a look at this particular battery. When my '07 Prius batt went out in the adjacent parking lot, a nice employee at Autozone had helped jumpstart my battery. They also said they knew someone who could put it in for $25, but ended up putting it in ourselves. I am currently looking at the portable Energizer Jump Start system 400 which has an inverter dock on the back.

Corwyn likes this.
  4. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks (though not for that comic... eek). I was VERY careful about not reversing polarity on the jump.

Then I have to figure out how to open the hatch...

5. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Look closely at your jumper cable clips. Chances are, only one jaw is attached to the cable. You need to make sure that jaw is on the metal side of the under hood jumping terminal.

Corwyn likes this.
  6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very good point, without a good ground, you can jump till yer blue in the face, it's not gonna work!

Corwyn likes this.
  7. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not talking about the ground. The jump terminal in the Prius is a peculiar plastic/metal thing. Only one surface of it is conductive. Some cable clips only conduct to one jaw at each end. If the conductive cable jaw mates with the plastic side of the terminal nothing happens.

Corwyn likes this.
  8. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You might want to consider reviewing this thread when thinking about replacement 12V batteries.
    Fitting mobility 12volt AGM battery. | PriusChat

Corwyn likes this.
  9. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The product is probably a much smaller AGM battery that's packaged in a pretty box with its own charging circuitry. It will age at a similar rate to your battery and be an extra 20 lbs that you lug around everywhere you go.
    Probably easier and cheaper to just plan on replacing your battery based on its age before it fails next time.

Corwyn likes this.
  10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune C, hope it gets resolved soon.

Corwyn likes this.
  11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    With jumper cables connected correctly, the hatch should open normaly. The lights should work but you may have to make the car ready then turn off then make the car ready again. This proceedure will be rquired when fitting a new battery.

John (Britprius)

Corwyn likes this.
  12. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Which is what concerns me. Even with the jumper cables connected, the other car running, I got no response from my Prius.

13. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Use the dome light as your indicator while trying the cable clamp in different positions. Also try using different cables, if possible. I know of no issues getting power to the battery from the underhood terminal other than what I described above.

There's an access to the hatch latch release from inside the cargo area if you want to get to the battery directly.

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you are certain you connected the cables correctly, and at no point reversed them something other than the battery is wrong. If you have a voltmeter or can borrow one check for 12 volts at the jump terminal, also just below the jump terminal there is a clear plastic cover over a long metal strip is that strip intact.

John (Britprius)

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It is possible the ground cable from the 12 volt battery has a bad or corroded connection where it fastens to the bodywork. This happened to a poster earlyer on this week, but I do not think this is your problem.

You do not need to run the car jump starting you, the Prius only needs a small current to make it ready.

John (Britprius)

16. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    UPDATE: Car is working, battery is probably dead.

I removed my inverter, checked the battery connections (which seemed ok), tested the voltage (3 volts) tried a different set of jumper cables, and connected to the tab (rather than the nut). The car started right up. Yay! I drove it around and let it sit in ready for an hour. It now lights the various lights. I did not try to restart it, but I am reasonably confident it would have.

So I think the battery is hosed, and will be replacing it. But the car seems to be fine.

Thank You All Kindly.

Prius_Cub likes this.