1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem filling gas tank tonight

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cutter44, Dec 17, 2015.

1. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Can't figure this one out. I've had the car about 9 months and this is the first time I've ever had an issue filling it up with gas. Basically, if I tried to pump it much faster than a trickle, the pump would shut off. It must have taken me five minutes to pump a little less than nine gallons in. And the frustrating part about that is that you never know which of the click-offs is the one you should stop at.

As I said, I've always been able to pump at a normal rate. And this pump wasn't a particularly fast one that I could go full throttle. But it kept shutting off very few seconds until I finally just pumped it as slowly as I could. Any thoughts?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you used this particular pump before?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are small pressure sensing holes at the bottom of nozzle pipe...maybe they were plugged. Sometimes rotating the pump handle 90 to 180 degress (upside down) helps.

4. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. I don't think I've used this particular pump on this car, but I have used pumps at this station several times with this car and others. I'll see what happens next time I have to fill up before I really start getting concerned.

5. mts22

mts22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This has happened to me with my Acura on occasion. I don't believe it's a problem with your car. More an issue with the pump.

ztanos likes this.
  6. dborn

dborn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely the pump, unless you start getting it on many different pumps. :)

7. SocalBob

SocalBob 405 Daily Driver

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Had this exact problem on my 2013 c3, thought it was the pump, started happening more frequently on other pumps and stations, was getting more and more frustrating so at my next service date I told them about the issue - they ended up replacing my gas tank at no charge. No more filling problems.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  8. Mo G

Mo G Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Had this happen to me, ended up being the pump. Like SoCalBob states, if it is reoccurring, then let the dealer know of the issue. Update is on the next fill up.

Andyprius1 likes this.
  9. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Filled up again on 12/23. Same station, different pump. Same problem. I'm going to give it one more try at a different station. If it 's still happening, I guess I get to see how the dealer treats me, considering I do my own oil changes, tire rotations, etc. I'm assuming that if it's a problem with the tank, correcting it will be covered by my Platinum Warranty?

10. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was just checking my Platinum Warranty (for a different reason) and I remember it specifically mentioning that batteries were excluded (my 12V "Management Battery" (Dealer's term) died 3 days ago, but it was 6 years old, so to be expected, I guess!) - but I do not know about gas-tanks (bladdered or otherwise), but I would think it should be covered! (I just checked my copy, and there it is a the bottom of p.2 Fuel System: paragraph: ""…Fuel tank…", right between "Fuel Sensors" and "Throttle Body" - Good luck!! :)

Andyprius1 likes this.
  11. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well, that's good info to have. Thanks for checking. ;)

12. fourenty

fourenty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The problem could really be your car. Sorry for the bad news. I had the same problem when we were on vacation. At first I thought it was the pump. After a few different gas stations in a few different state all acting the same. After a few weeks the check engine light came on.The problem was with my little Shorty. The dealer troubleshot to a faulty evap canister. Emissions problem so no charge. Get your car in and have the dealer check it out. It is getting too cold to deal with the slow fill problem.

13. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Funny you should mention that. I just went out to take the dog for her walk, started up the C, and there was the Check Engine Light on. Gas cap is on tight. Then I realized the slow pumping and the CEL could be connected. Guess I'll be making an appointment with the Toyota dealer this week. I'm assuming if it's a relatively simple fix, they shouldn't need the car more than the day, but if they have to replace the gas tank, is that likely to be a multiple day event (I don't imagine those are kept in stock in the Parts Department).

One more thing. Do you think it's still safe to drive the car? The dealer I'm planning on using is near work which is about a 40 mile trip and I won't be going in until Monday.

#13 cutter44, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @fourenty and @cutter44 :

When filling up in the past, did you try to get it full to the neck, or just stop when the pump first shut off? If the former it could be evidence that topping up is bad for the evaporator canister.

Ozark Man likes this.
  15. Ozark Man

Ozark Man Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have read posts on here that it can happen just like Mendel said. I began stopping at the first shut off when I read the first post. This may be too late for you but just saying.

16. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I go to the first click, then once again, then once more just to make sure, and I've found over a period of time everything averages out beautifully, and although the fuel-gauge on the dash isn't very linear, I also have a ScanGuage-II its readings coincide well with the amount I pump (although YMMV :rolleyes:)

17. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I pretty much pump at a moderate rate until first click off, then again to next click off, then round up to the nearest x5 or x0.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would stop at the first click, and round from there.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I never understand the rounding, prefer not to look at the $'s in particular.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's an a/r thang.:cool:

Mendel Leisk likes this.