1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem Indicator and Red Thermometer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tmanson, Dec 2, 2009.

1. tmanson

tmanson Geetar-playin' Traveler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My wife rear-ended someone with our prius and we have just gotten it back from the Toyota Collision Center. I had it out on the interstate and at any speed above 40 mph (not speed dependent, but at that speed the load apparently heats up the engine significantly) the red triangle hazard indication illuminates on the dash (and the word "Problem" shows up on the multi-function display) until I slow down or lighten the engine load. Shortly after those indications appear, a small red thermometer appears in the upper left corner of the MFD.

1. I've checked the coolant overflow container and it is nominal. Where is the real radiator cap?

2. If the car is not really overheating, what else could be causing this alarm indication?

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't mess with it, have the repairer come get it and have them fix it. You also need written acknowledgement that you had an issue in case you need to have further remedial action if any long term damage was done.

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Perhaps it's a problem with the V-belt that drives the water pump. You definitely need to get it looked at straight away, don't overheat the motor.

4. mike lipke

mike lipke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This often happens after a coolant change, due to air trapped in the system. There is an air vent way over on the driver's side of the radiator which is hard to initially see, but is easy to unscrew once you find it. It is opened with a 6mm allen wrench. You must take off the plastic shroud, and access it thru a hole in the steel bracket over the top of the radiator. Mine has a warning sticker next to it saying not to open when hot. Good chance that is what the problem is if the radiator was damaged in the crash and was replaced. You might be down a quart or so, and if there is air trapped, it will not suck it back in from the overflow.

5. tmanson

tmanson Geetar-playin' Traveler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK, You may or may not believe this, but it went to the Toyota shop today and the "fix" was repairing the hood latch switch connector! I'm still not sure I believe it, but it's not doing it anymore. I didn't even know that there was a switch that sensed the hood was partially unlatched!

Does this make sense to anyone??? I've been through the entire Prius Users guide and I can't find any reference to a hood latch switch OR the indications I saw in the midst of the event!!!

I did learn that what I saw in the "reservoir" was the fluid that cools the electric side (not the ICE), so that didn't help me resolve the issue any.