1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem? Shop used "Quantum TS FullSyn Multi-Vehicle Trans" fluid

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Diotima, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Diotima

Diotima Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, all,

I took my 05 Prius (115k miles) to an independent shop for several general maintenance things, including a drain & fill of the transaxle fluid.

My work order says "Quantum TS FullSyn | Multi-Vehicle Automatic Trans" 4.0.

This is not the Toyota stuff. Is what they used a problem? I'm leaving for a short trip tomorrow, then on a 3500 mile trip next week, so I'm hoping someone can answer before I leave tomorrow.

Quantum TS Global Synthetic Transmission Fluid | Quantum Lubricants

"Quantum TS Global Synthetic Transmission Fluid is formulated from premium synthetic base stocks and a state-ofthe-art additive system, specially engineered and recommended for use in virtually all global automatic transmissions. It exceeds the performance requirements for GM DEXRON®-VI, Ford Mercon® V, Mercon® SP & Mercon® LV, Chrysler ATF+4, Toyota T-IV & WS,..."

• Excellent performance in hybrid transmissions, including Ford and Toyota

Thanks!

Dia

#1 Diotima, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it meets DexD6 requirements its probably good to go. I would not be concerned about it.

If your leaving on a long trip its just as imperative at your miles to change the Inverter coolant as that coolant cools the trans & Inverter. Mountain loads will place excessive current demand on the Inverter and trans and will really heat up the Invert circuit.

Travailing up big mountains is the Achilles weakness. The constant high load does not enable the hybrid battery to fully charge up to the demands you may place on it driving as a fast speed up big grade to match traffic. Low hybrid charge with high load (screaming engine) is garanteed overheat. Open the windows turn off the ac. Before you hit a high mountain make the battery fully charged and take it easy and watch the battery level.
    And turn your ac fresh/recirculate switch to fresh so you will be able to smell any overheating smells coming from the engine compartment. Open the hood and check the temp of the Invert coolant reservoir.

Many a chatter has found themselves on the side of the road on a big mountain with an overheated crow bared Invert er saying wa happened lucy?

m.wynn likes this.
  3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Since it specifies that it meets or exceeds Toyota AFT-WS specifications, I'd say you are good to go. A problem with some ATF brands is that they are electrically conductive which can ruin the motor-generators.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Did they tell you that they would not be using Toyota WS fluid for the job?

But other than that, as long as it meets the requirements set by Toyota, as others have said, you should be fine.

edthefox5 likes this.
  6. Diotima

Diotima Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks, everyone! Engine and inverter coolant are part of what we did, so it looks like we're good to go.

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't trust it. So far experimentation with other fluids besides the Toyota WS fluid have at times yielded high levels of metals in used oil analyses in this forum (indicating wear or that the oil is dissolving seals it shouldn't be). Toyota doesn't publish minimum specifications for what ATF is it's cars must meet, just some specifications of what the WS ATF fluid meets, so the oil manufacturer statement doesn't mean much. Especially for the Prius, there are more factors for this fluid than just viscosity that are important (electrical and dielectric resistance, etc).

If I was going to use the fluid, after 10k miles, I would drain a little bit and then top it off, sending the drained fluid for a used oil analysis to see if it's okay. It's very unlikely to cause problems in that amount of time, but it's possible it could cause serious problems on an order of around 50k miles.

I would probably ask that the mechanic replace it with the proper WS fluid, as this is the only fluid recommended by Toyota and could cause problems as I outlined above.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Kevin_Denver

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've been trying to refrain from commenting, for various reasons. But since Kevin has broken the ice:

Your alternate fluid may be ok. But:

1. Toyota warns strongly against using anything but the spec'd Toyota ATF WS.
    2. You didn't ask for alternate fluid, the garage "took it upon themselves" to decide for you.

I would actually do a flush in this case, basically drain and fill, drive around the block a few times, repeat twice more.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That ancient Bob Wilson post about that amsoil he tried in his G1. I searched when he posted that one 10 years ago and found a few references to that amsoil model that tended to attack copper and soft metal. G1 used copper in its bearing races. I don't think amsoil even sells that model anymore.
    A poor reference to condemn all aftermarket fluid in G2's.

Never seen any G2 uoa's on this site that showed any issue with any after market trans oil including mine using Redline D6 for over 100,000 miles showed any problem.

Any fluid that is WS compatible will work fine in a G2.

#10 edthefox5, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    goldfinger, m.wynn and Kevin_Denver like this.
  11. Kevin_Denver

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the clarification! I think it in most probability should be fine, but wouldn't want to experiment with my Prius personally in this regard. I think the OP has enough information to make their own judgement. No UOA has been done with that oil (that I'm aware of), therefore it's enough for me to avoid it, when it's known the stock Toyota fluid shows good numbers to 60k interval changes.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fair enough.
    But in our trans it's really only a case of its gl4 quality.