1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PROBLEM + Triangle ! showing up after brake job

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by l_d_allan, Jun 18, 2015.

1. l_d_allan

l_d_allan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    About a month ago, I had a friend who owns a tire store do a brake job on my 2007 Prius (at 170,000) miles. That was probably a mistake, as it was a learning experience for both of us.

Once we got the dashboard warnings reset and brake lines bled, the brakes seemed ok ... for a week or so.

Here's is what has been happening more and more when braking around a slow corner in "B" mode:
    • Red triangle with exclamation mark inside the triangle shows up on instrument cluster for a second or so
    • "PROBLEM' shows up on LCD for several seconds
    • Car seems to behave and function fine ... doesn't lose power or go into "fail safe" mode. Brakes seem to work fine.
    • Usually when in "B" (engine braking) mode going around a corner with low to moderate braking
    • At first, showed up every other day or so
    • Getting worse ... now showing up several times a day and not just in "B" mode and not just when braking and cornering.
    • My speculation is a loose connection or ???
    • I'll be taking the car back to where it was worked on, but this is research to provide assistance.
    • If they can't fix it, I'll plan on taking it to a Toyota dealer

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you use a MiniVci with Techstream software to bleed the brakes? If not, that could be your problem.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so, when not in b mode, no prolemo?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    • Getting worse ... now showing up several times a day and not just in "B" mode and not just when braking and cornering.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, i read 'just in b mode'.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If "back to where it was worked on" means the friend who owns the tire shop, where the two of you managed to cause the problem in the first place?

I might not bother passing GO, and just take it to a dealership.

Not to sound snotty, but brakes are such a fundamental safety issue I wouldn't gamble with "hoping" you're getting it right this time.
    It could anything at this point. But you really just need your brakes to be reliable and 100%.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Have you checked all engine compartment fluids, especially the engine oil level?
    2. I am wondering what causes you to be driving in "B" mode so much? Normally that mode should be avoided unless you are descending mountainous terrain and your traction battery state of charge gauge shows 8 green bars.

dolj, koolingit and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. l_d_allan

l_d_allan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No. Thanks for the suggestion (and sorry to be slow on replies). It was a (much) less than professional brake job.

Happily, the issue may have "healed itself" in the past several days. It hasn't showed up in several days, whereas before it was pretty regular.

My speculation is that they over-filled the brake fluid when "topping off" and the "sloshing around" made some sensor unhappy.

Fingers crossed. I agree I'm being rather casual and less-than-prudent with the brake system. My bad?

9. l_d_allan

l_d_allan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't disagree. It does seem to have mysteriously "healed itself". Whew?

The Electric Me likes this.
  10. l_d_allan

l_d_allan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the good suggestion. As noted in my other replies, it does seemed to have "healed itself", possibly because the brake fluid reservoir was over-filled and sloshing around, which might have tripped a sensor.

Hmmm ... I may have a misunderstanding of "B". I had the impression it increased engine braking to get that much more battery regeneration when slowing for a stop. I use "B" all the time, but perhaps I shouldn't?

11. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    no need to use b normally. overfilled brake fluid shouldn't matter. must have set a code during the brake job; some codes take 40 key cycles to clear, some never clear by themselves.
    could have been a little air trapped somewhere and it worked its way out over time?

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Correct. B mode should be relegated to REALLY long downhill runs, think ski hills. It's basically to guard against a battery so fully charged that the car falls back (heavily) on the friction brakes, and maybe overheats them. Uses engine braking, can get a little alarming sounding, too: revs really high.

I've read the car will do a little B mode without request, behind the scenes. In normal conditions: you want to slow, use the brakes.

It is confusing though, compared to a traditional automatic. And documentation is spotty. There's actually less charging done when you're in B mode.

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The use of B wastes energy because that forces the engine to run at a higher RPM for a given vehicle speed, than would otherwise be necessary. This is the equivalent of, in a conventional vehicle, driving around in first or second gear all of the time instead of leaving the gear selector in D and letting the automatic transmission shift as needed.

Have you actually checked the engine oil level yet? That task just needs a paper towel and 2 minutes of your time. Do not wait for a warning light to appear, to do that little chore periodically.

Absolutely.

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I second that.

When the light comes on it is generally too late. The warning light is more like an announcement light.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, announcing the arrival of your seized engine. Thank you for not filling with oil and choosing Prius as your ride of choice. Have a pleasant engine replacement appointment."

(y)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Ali1214

Ali1214 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

16. Ali1214

Ali1214 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    [​IMG]
    Planet AwesumJunior Member
    I did this and it worked, after having the red triangle on dash and touch screen . I had just replaced the combination meter.

"04-09 Prius procedure. Disable SMART KEY (button that says KEY under steering column), and insert key fob transponder into slot in dash. With foot on brake, push power button and hold the power button in for 30 seconds. Release power button and try to restart."
    I did just what planet awesum wrote above and all lights went away. It worked. Thanks to planner awesum

ydpplqbd likes this.