1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem w/"P" lock mechanism = $ 4777! Need advice (2009 Prius)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mouseknees, Aug 11, 2012.

1. mouseknees

mouseknees New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just joined Priuschat so forgive me if I make mistakes. I am almost computer illiterate so I hope I can get this posted and find my way back to read any advice you all might have!

I would appreciate some insight on a problem I am having with my 2009 Prius. On Monday I started the car with no problem, but I got only 3 blocks from home when the red triangle lit up along with some other indicator symbols. A message appeared saying: THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE TRANSMISSION ā€œPā€ LOCK MECHANISM. PARK YOUR CAR ON A FLAT SURFACE AND FULLY APPLY PARKING BREAK. The car was driving ok. The only problem was the Indicator symbols and message coming on. Toyota told me they were not absolutely sure, but everything points to needing new parking switch or something like that. It cost about $ 250. A day or two later the same red triangle and some indicator symbols came on again, and again the car never stopped driving or never broke down. I noticed that the parking button would not go into park so I pressed the power button and the car went into park and shut down just like normal. I turned it on again and those same indicator symbols came on so I took the car back to Toyota.

They say I need a new main wire harness. The cost is $ 4,777.

The good part is Toyota is willing to give me the main wire harness but I will still need to pay for labor estimated at $ 1966. I asked what would have caused this to happen and they said they did not know. The codes were P0851 and P0852 . I am afraid that I will get the work done and the dreaded light will come on again! I would like to get a second opinion but I know the dealer can withdraw the offer if they want since I was told this over the phone and have nothing in writing. This was the most expense car I have ever bought and now I am wondering if I can afford to keep it! Any advice?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is a fairly common message if the 12V battery is low. It would not hurt to check your 12V battery voltage after the car has been off for a while and verify it is above 12V, preferrably in the 12.5V range. If your battery is low you may want to replace the battery and see if this problem goes away.

The DTC codes are worrisome, though. The P0851 is "Park/Neutral Switch Input Circuit Low" and then P0852 is "Park/Neutral Switch Input Circuit High". The wire harness or connector is the first item in the troubleshooting list, then P position switch and then Power Management ECU.

Good luck. Let us know how this goes.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    mouseknees likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Replace the 12V battery now, to eliminate that as an issue.
    2. Has your car ever been in a front-end accident or flood, causing wiring harness damage?
    3. If your car continues to run well (other than the warning lights) then I would definitely defer any repair costing well into four-digits. Since you can make the Prius IG-OFF and the car goes into P, the very minor problem does not justify the large expenditure.

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you could fill in the details of where you are located, maybe there is an independent Prius shop nearby that would be better able to help.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If only the location field were mandatory...

7. mouseknees

mouseknees New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two

8. mouseknees

mouseknees New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for telling me what those codes mean.

After I dropped my car off the second time, I called them to tell them what I had read on the Prius Chat about the 12V battery and I don't think he really paid much attention. He started to talk about looking into the wiring for the problem. Since I have never had an accident (other than getting the driver's side mirror knocked off, no damage to anything else) I have no idea why those codes came up. Could that be related to the 12V battery?

They have my car right now so I am unable to check out the battery myself.

9. mouseknees

mouseknees New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am in Mesquite, TX on the east side of Dallas. Thanks

10. mouseknees

mouseknees New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No front end accident or flood. I wonder about driving the car when the codes say Park/Neutral Switch Input Circuit Low and Park/Neutral Switch Input Circuit High. I would hate to do any more damage to it, but I have to tell you I was thinking I could just by pass using the Parking button and just use the IG-OFF but I am concerned about the codes.

11. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A low 12V battery could trigger the DTC's, along with a lot of other random warning lights and messages. There have been numerous reports of dealer tech's not diagnosing the 12V battery correctly.

If it were my car, I would check the battery and replace it if it were questionable before I would spend the money to replace the wiring harness. $200-300 is a whole lot less than the wiring harness.

Good luck and keep us posted.

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Checking the battery yourself would be best, as many battery testers give misleading results on Prius batteries. If that isn't possible then replacing the battery is reasonable. Even at a dealer that should be no more than $300, or as little as $200 if they're golden.

You might let these guys replace the 12V battery if they don't try to gouge you, and that may fix the problem, but whether or not it does, in future go to another dealer. I've had acceptable experience with T. of Richardson and T. of Plano. Sadly, most dealer service writers will try to "upsell" you on stuff that isn't needed, so you can't just put yourself in anyone's hands and tell them to do what's necessary.

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If the replacement of the 12v battery does not clear the problem the route I would take is to change out these three items with salvage units in this order.

(1) Park motor relay. (shown centre top in diagram below)
    (2) Transmission control ECU (centre bottom in diag)
    (3) Shift control actuator (bottom left in diag)

The first two items are very easy to change the relay being in the engine compartment, the ECU above the passengers toes behind the glove box lid.

The third item is not so easy as it is on the back transmission in front of the drivers feet.

This eliminates most of the components apart from the harness in this system and should not cost much. RunnerCNY (see post where is transmission ECU located) purchased an ECU for $55 and took him 15 mins to change. Hope this helps.

John. Shift Interlock.jpg

14. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From the posts I have read through, it seems that when the dealer wants to replace the entire wire harness, it means that they are unable to troubleshoot the problem to a specific point in a short amount of time, and would rather not work on your problem. A harness can be damaged by road debris, accident, rodents, or very rarely by some manufacturing defect. The work it takes to expose *everything* to replace the *entire* wire harness would surely be greater than the work to expose just the suspect portion . But finding the bad spot, if it really exists, can take some creative detective work, so it is not the kind of thing that can be detailed in the service manual. Hence the "replace entire harness" method, which should be saved as a last, desperate measure, after the above suggestions.

When I have done repairs to car harnesses, it has been obvious (chewing, heat, rubbing) once access to the area can be had. But that access is the hard part.

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I believe replacing the wire harness is a red herring as the likely places for problems are the connectors, and the most suspect one would be the connector to the transmission lock motor. Looking at the wiring diagram there are only 9 wires going from the motor assembly to the ECU and only one other that goes to the relay supplying 12v to the star point of the motor, surely testing those out or replacing those wires directly would not constitute anything like $4800.

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Locator - Dash (5).JPG The route for the wires can be seen on the 2diags below. The harness runs from S1 on the trans under the inverter (the most likely place for damage and the only place the harness cannot be seen) round the engine through the fire wall and to the ECU at T4 Locator - Engine Compartment (1).JPG View attachment 41026

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    On checking the shift control actuator is easy to change on a lift and is available via Ebay for around $100.

18. christian cox

christian cox Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I wonder did this fix it or did they buy another car? Also gen 2 or gen 3?