1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem with 12 Volt Battery in 2016 Prius 4 Touring

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mjustice, Mar 21, 2017.

1. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Automotive evolution.

RCO, kithmo and alanclarkeau like this.
  2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @alanclarkeau , all these codes are simple Toyota tests to check you're keeping on the ball now you've retired. (y)

alanclarkeau and bisco like this.
  3. mjustice

mjustice Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Sorry, I was away from Priuschat for awhile. The codes were Automatic Braking System (ABS) C1403 & C1407; Parking Sensors C164D & C1A50; Blind Spot Monitor C1A45; & Blind Spot Monitor (Slave) C1A45.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  4. mjustice

mjustice Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Another update. Warning lights & messages came up again about a week after the previous time while we were on a vacation trip. Took video of the warning messages and checked the Carista error codes, which were the same as the previous time having to deal with the Automatic Braking System, Parking Sensors, & Blind Spot Monitoring Sensors. Immediately drove to the closest Toyota dealer (which was 1 1/2 hours away when the problem occurred.

By the time we got to the Dealer most of the error codes had self-cleared, but were listed in the memory. Service Tech was initially concerned that the ECU (Engine Control Unit?) had a problem. Discussed having it shipped in and they could do the replacement in a couple of days. But then Regional people got involved. Never said, but the ECU is a major computer unit and I suspect they were concerned about the cost?

They asked for us to bring the car back in the next day. Again, hoping that the problem would happen again after the codes had been cleared. Brought it back the next morning and was there all day. Regional rep was nearby and came and went for a drive with the computer hooked up.

Service Manager told us that coincidentally one of the sales staff brought a Prius in from a test drive and it was showing much of the same warning messages. They determined that it was a faulty left front speed sensor that had to be replaced. The speed sensor was apparently clearly malfunctioning so that was an easy determination. There had been an indication that the right rear speed sensor on our vehicle might be the culprit, but it was not a clear fail when tested.

This was a Friday afternoon and the plan was for us to bring it back in Monday morning and they were going to replace the wheel sensor. Throughout this process it was clear that a problem in one area was/would have a cascade effect on the other areas where warnings were coming up.

Came back on Monday and they had the car for several hours and then the Service Manager came out and said they could not replicate the errors (and none had reappeared over the weekend), so they were not going to replace the speed sensor. I was ticked as this was three days that our lives were disrupted and nothing was done.

I should say that they reportedly took apart and re-seated all of the wire connection cables with the problem system, as they suspected that possibly having a pin not making a proper or intermittent disconnect could be the problem.

So after three times that this has happened and three trips to the dealer and over a week of down time, not specific cause has been found.

I should say that while the initial problem was a suspected low voltage on the 12 volt battery, that does not appear to be the issue. The 12 volt battery has tested fine each time we have had the vehicle into the dealers.

I will say that we have put on over 1,000 miles since the last time this occurred and it has not re-occurred, but the fear is there. The frustration is that when you spend the money on a new vehicle, you feel that it should work. I realize that these are much more complicated systems than ever before, but they should have better methodologies to pinpoint the problems. We shall see what happens.

#44 mjustice, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    RCO, bisco and alanclarkeau like this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    California Lemon Law applies within 18 months or 18K miles, whichever is first. If it is subject to repair 2 or more times and is a safety issue, and you have notified the manufacturer, they may need to replace the car or buy it back.

Your car has not yet been out of service for 30 cumulative days though.

Summarized & paraphrased from
    Buying and Maintaining a Car | State of California - Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

See also http://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf

RCO likes this.
  6. mjustice

mjustice Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks. Live in California, but bought it in Reno, NV. Not certain how that would work?

7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    RCO likes this.
  8. mjustice

mjustice Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    RCO likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't understand manufacturers. they spend billions in r&d, make billions in profits, but faint at the thought of replacing a clearly defective car with a new one that might cost them 10 grande.

RCO likes this.
  10. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... or fixing it. Surely putting on a "left front speed sensor" on a car which has shown it faulty in the past wouldn't break the bank - and improve the impression of customers.

Customer service is one of the biggest aspects of whether buyers return for another car - or not.

When mine had MALFUNCTIONs all flick up on the screen, they never repeated itself for 4 months. But service, seeing it in the computer log, didn't hesitate to change the defective part.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Nothing brings em back like a good impression. (y)

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  12. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    ECU means “electronic control unit,” that is, any of a car’s myriad computers.

The ECU reporting two of the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) you mentioned is the skid control ECU, part of the anti-lock brake system (ABS). The skid control ECU is part of the brake booster with master cylinder assembly (47050-47550), and if the ECU is defective, the whole assembly must be removed and replaced.
    Possibly, since the the list price for the master cylinder assembly is $2,500 or so, though the actual cost to Toyota is no doubt much less. Remember that Toyota sells parts to their dealers, but then reimburses them for the cost (plus labor) if they are used for warranty claims; Toyota also gets the old parts back, if they want them, for rebuilding or failure analysis.

The situation is similar with the rear speed sensors: the sensor is part of the rear axle hub and bearing assembly (for the right side, 42450-76020, list price $330 or so) and not replaced separately in the field.
    According to Toyota’s Repair Manual, DTC C1403 (Malfunction in Rear Speed Sensor RH Circuit) means the skid control ECU detected one (or more) of these conditions:

INF Code: 521 — At a vehicle speed of 10 km/h (6 mph) or more, output voltage from one of the speed sensors is less than that from the other sensors for 15 seconds or more.
    INF Code: 522 — At a vehicle speed of 10 km/h (6 mph) or more, outputs from both speed sensors are 0 km/h (0 mph) for 15 seconds or more. (except when both rear speed sensors are 0 km/h (0 mph)).
    INF Code: 527 — At a vehicle speed of 10 km/h (6 mph) or more, output from one of the speed sensors is 0 km/h (0 mph) for 1 second or more.​

DTC C1407 (Open or Short in Rear Speed Sensor RH Circuit) means the skid control ECU detected one (or more) of these conditions:

INF Code: 523 — An open in the speed sensor signal circuit continues for 0.5 seconds or more.
    INF Code: 526 — The speed sensor power source voltage is low for 0.5 seconds or more.
    INF Code: 528 — The speed sensor power source voltage is low for 0.2 seconds, and does not return to normal for 60 seconds or more.​

DTCs C164D, C1A50, and C1A45 all indicate that other ECUs received failure indications from the skid control ECU; when occurring together with C1403 and C1407, they’re unlikely to indicate separate problems.

The troubleshooting procedures for DTCs C1403 and C1407 can lead to replacement of the skid control sensor wire, harness, or connector; the rear axle hub and bearing assembly; or (for C1407 only) the brake booster with master cylinder assembly—but only if the technician is able to identify the defective part.

Unfortunately in your case, if the DTCs don’t return after a road test, and the speed sensors work when checked with the diagnostic system, the procedures say to “Use Simulation Method To Check,” which means trying to reproduce conditions (such as vibration, heat, moisture, or high electrical load) that might cause the problem to return. As Toyota writes:

The most difficult case in troubleshooting is when no problem symptoms occur. In such a case, a thorough problem analysis must be carried out. A simulation of the same or similar conditions and environment in which the problem occurred in the customer's vehicle should be carried out. No matter how much skill or experience a technician has, troubleshooting without confirming the problem symptoms will lead to important repairs being overlooked and mistakes or delays.​

Like all automakers, Toyota clearly wants to minimize their warranty costs by discouraging “shotgun troubleshooting”—replacing every part that might be causing a problem, rather than finding and replacing only the truly defective part—but considering that ABS is an important safety system, and the trouble has returned twice, it may be justified in this instance.

If I were troubleshooting this problem, I wouldn’t dismiss the possibility of an intermittent wiring fault, though—wiring and connectors are among the least reliable components in any electronic system, and even if the dealer checked the terminals, connectors, and exposed wiring carefully, they may not have examined the sensor wires along their entire length. This could require considerable disassembly, which carries the risk of causing other problems; if the needed equipment were handy, I’d disconnect the sensor wires and make insulation resistance (megohmmeter) and time-domain reflectometry (TDR) tests first.

RCO likes this.
  13. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps you need to bring this to the attention of priusteam. Sorry, I can't remember the exact handle but @Prodigyplace will. (y)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do think @Prius Team would be interested because marketing is no good if good service is not provided.

RCO likes this.
  15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks ol' buddy. Knew I could rely on you, but for some reason that option wouldn't offer up when I tried it earlier.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    typing @prius, and a space, and a "t" does the trick. So far. Just figured that out myself.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. mjustice

mjustice Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for your detailed technical reply. It is sincerely appreciated. The unable to replicate the error has been a consistent message as to the Dealers not replacing anything. Not certain what my options will be if it happens again. I do not meet the lemon law requirements for length of time being out of service, but we wanted a car we could trust and we are a bit uncertain right now.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  18. Puruisi

Puruisi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    @mjustice, I just came here to do some research and realized I'm having the exact same scenario with my 2016 Prius Four with ATP/PCP. It all started a week ago when I returned from an overseas trip and the car had sat unused a few months. Ditto to everything you wrote.

The problem comes and goes. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they were able to replicate all the warning lights, but they had no loaner car so I was pretty much forced to leave with no resolution, as I need a way to get to work. So I've been nervously driving the car since then.

Looks like I am in for the same frustrating journey as you.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2 weeks and no prius team response? shocking.

RCO likes this.
  20. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Have you tried charging the 12v battery up ?
    All sorts of warning lights and such come on with the Gen 2 when the 12v is low, maybe it's the same with the Gen 4 ?
    My Gen 4 gets used very little (<3K miles a year) and gets left unused for only a few days at a time, but even so the 12v does run down a bit. I use a Ctek (3.8A max) battery reconditioner every couple of months to bring it back up.