Problem with bootlooping console

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by quadnine damage, Nov 1, 2021.

  1. quadnine damage

    quadnine damage New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2021
    2
    0
    0
    Location:
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi everyone. I've been looking around for solutions to this issue for a while and haven't found anything conclusive. Basically, nearly every single time I start my car, the screen will turn on black, then the Toyota logo, then *maybe* a fraction of a second of the Bluetooth connection screen (or backup camera, basically whatever was/is active), and then it will repeat.

    This has been going on for over a year now. I previously asked my Toyota dealership about this, and their only answer was to diagnose the issue for $85/hour, which just seems insane to me. I'm getting ready to go in for my 50k maintenance, but wanted to see what other options people might have for me before I spend what might be a lot of money on a maybe, you know?
     
  2. rjparker

    rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    5,663
    3,210
    2
    Location:
    Texas Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A good diagnosis results in an answer. You are now in the "maybe you know" phase of speculation.

    If a guess is good enough, change the head unit. I would give it an 80% chance of working. There is no repairing a head unit and the power feed issue is the majority of the other 20% but unlikely. Fuses don't come and go.
     
  3. bisco

    bisco cookie crumbler

    Joined:
    May 11, 2005
    101,071
    45,828
    0
    Location:
    boston
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the 12v health
     
    phoenixgreg likes this.
  4. phoenixgreg

    phoenixgreg Senior member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2010
    1,157
    282
    66
    Location:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    bisco has a valid point. If your 12 v battery is near the end of its life, your car could go into what's referred to as "suicide mode". Basically, you press Power and all the dash displays flicker on and off but the car won't go into ready mode. What's worse, is you can't stop it by pressing Power again. When it happened to me, I had to physically disconnect the 12 v battery and then replace it. Fortunately, I was home when it happened and got a ride to O'Reilly's for a new battery. But it still could be a bad head unit. How old is your battery?
     
  5. quadnine damage

    quadnine damage New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2021
    2
    0
    0
    Location:
    Orlando
    Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Reasonably sure that I had the battery replaced somewhere between 3.5-5 years, which would mean this one is less than 2 years old at worst. The dealership flat out said they can't do anything about the console when I come in an referred me to a 3rd party, so maybe they can at least tell the health of the battery as a starting point.

    e: Would it still be the battery if the car has been fine otherwise and this problem has been going on for a year+?
     
  6. rjparker

    rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    5,663
    3,210
    2
    Location:
    Texas Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No its unlikely to be the 12v battery since it starts and runs. But you can take the car to most auto supply stores like Auto Zone and load test the battery. As suggested before, 80% its a bad head unit.
     
Loading...