1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem with cigarette lighter 2013 Prius II? Thinking it needs replacing?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mountaintodd, Jul 10, 2019.

1. mountaintodd

mountaintodd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone,

Our 2013 Prius II (114k miles) is having a problem with the cigarette lighter, and I'm wondering if this is normal? And, how to fix it, or replace it?

I'm thinking that maybe the previous owner accidentally got something inside it, water maybe, because it seems rough and sticky, kind of rusty inside like. Basically, it's hard to get accessory plugs into it and out of it now, and when we do, they don't always work. Mainly, we use it for charging our phones.

Maybe all it needs is some lube? Maybe it's a common thing, because they are cheap and fail over time? Maybe I need to get a new cigarette lighter assembly? If so, does anybody know if it's easy to replace? Where to get a good replacement? Video's on the removal/installation?

Thanks so much for all your time and help!!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would look for a used one on eBay, but i have never replaced one.

or try camelback toyota, maybe they're cheap

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Behind where the lighter mounts you'll find a little tab to press to unhook the lighter socket. You migt have to take stuff apart to access it... Pull it out and clean and inspect it and use a test light or multi-meter to make sure the wires are sending 12v when car is on. From the symptoms you're describing it sounds like a simple corrosion issue that once cleaned will be fixed.