1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem with non-dimming 11.6 screen

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by LouG123, Dec 4, 2017.

1. LouG123

LouG123 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So very early this morning is the first time I have experienced an issue with my 11.6 screen not dimming when dark outside. Not only is it not dimming, but the car's headlights do not appear in image on the screen when turned on. I did check this morning and my screen is NOT set to the "Day" mode.

I have also had a couple instances when my screen randomly reboots when I'm driving, but if this is anything like the NAV screen in my 2014 Toyota Highlander, it may mean that the software needs to be updated.

Just curious to know if anyone has experienced problems with the 11.6 screen not cooperating at night when headlights are on and not set to "Day" mode.....

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Check the dimmer controls on the left side of steering wheel (not ON the steering wheel, just to the left); it might be locked to the "Non-dimming mode".

Mark57 likes this.
  3. Pizza Driver

Pizza Driver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Occasionally I have had the screen not dim automatically. When that happens I knock the dim switch down one notch and it dims like normal. So, apparently, that setting may just reset itself occasionally.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just assuming it's sim to 3rd gen, there's a knurled wheel, as you roll it up the screens get brighter, till you encounter resistance to further turning. Leave it there, it's at full bright, but will auto-darken still.

But push that wheel a little further, it goes through that resistance, to the top, which is the same full bright, but stops the auto-darken function.

Maybe that's what you've done?

5. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mr. Leisk, that's what I too think happened; the controller is different without that "flexible stop". It's just a 2-headed switch, one side "+", and other side with "-", no detent that I noticed.

#5 HPrimeAdvanced, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. LouG123

LouG123 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Many thanks to HPA for the answer.....!

I must have pushed the button to long by accident, but this was the culprit....

BTW - Prime Advanced was purchased on June 20, 2017 and as of today I'm now at 10,600 miles. I really like this car....!

Mark57 likes this.