1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

problem with readout or charging system for hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Buckinghambob, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Buckinghambob

Buckinghambob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2008 prius, recently it has very low power on hills, the battery charge display is wonky, I started it this morning and showed no charge on hybrid battery, but bars quickly got added and within a very short period (1/2 mi) it looked full and green. gas mileage down about 20% (at least on the readout) ICE started racing when I got about 15 miles out, and charge indicator completely disappeared (all the graphics appeared normal), but the arrows showing the system charging , whether from the ICE running, or simply charging while going downhill have disappeared, as if hybrid battery was disconnected from charging system.

It first did this a couple days ago returning from a 100 mi trip, yesterday a short 6 mi trip it seemed to run normal. Today it started to act out around 15 miles out--unless you count the likely bogus charge indicator for the hybrid bat when it first started.

Oh, and of course the red triangle of death is there with VSC and inflation warning,

Please tell me it's a fuse and easy fix, but all ideas welcomed if anyone has seen this before.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It's just a fuse and it's easy to fix. :cautious:

But if you want the truth, your car is showing several signs of a failed hybrid battery. :( It happens. You'll need to get the codes read to be sure but begin preparations now.

GOOD LUCK!

edthefox5 and SFO like this.
  3. Buckinghambob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks, I thought it was just a fuse :)

I was trying to read codes on a friends code reader the other day, and had trouble even getting it to connect, would there be any other tell tale signs that might confirm the hybrid battery failing?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the battery gauge is a pretty sure sign. you're gonna need a prius friendly app like dr. prius, torque, etc. if not tech stream.

5. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You may even need a code reader that is Prius friendly. Is your phone IOS or Android?

6. Buckinghambob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I ordered the blue tooth OBD connector for my android, and looking at installing torque I think, whatever is easy to install, good, and not too difficult to learn

7. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That is a good app, but it has to be set up with custom pids to read out the information you need for a hybrid. It doesn't come automatically configured for a Prius.

Other apps that give you a lot of good information would be either Hybrid Assistant or Doctor Prius.

8. Buckinghambob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the tip on alternate apps, At this point I have no preference, just repeating words I've read.