1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem with Self-leveling HID Headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cellsite, May 15, 2005.

1. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusham\";p=\"104637)</div>
    It is located on the left side above the control arm. It is a square box with a wire harness connecting to it. The arm is mostly horizontal and has a link going down to the control arm. And a sledge will void your warranty, :lol: . Unless you claim a rock hit it,then try your insurance company ( j/k ).

2. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rick57\";p=\"104821)</div>
    :crazyeyes:

OK... So what are you guys doing on these... replacing the unit or what? Do you expect a TSB or is the problem really limited to just a few of us?

The one guy on here reported his was fixed after four hours! Unfortunately, he didn't say what they did other than messed around with the car for four hours, called Toyota, reset the ECC, etc.

3. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusham\";p=\"105616)</div>
    :crazyeyes:

OK... So what are you guys doing on these... replacing the unit or what? Do you expect a TSB or is the problem really limited to just a few of us?

The one guy on here reported his was fixed after four hours! Unfortunately, he didn't say what they did other than messed around with the car for four hours, called Toyota, reset the ECC, etc.[/b][/quote]

I doubt there will be a TSB on it. I only had one and it was the sensor. Another tech here had one with multiple lights/codes and it ended up being the wiring harness behind the glove box pulling on a connector. This made an intermittent connection here. And these two are out of the many that have come thru here. Maybe there are a few out there with these problems, but not enough for Toyota to worry about, :roll:

4. jattor

jattor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a 2004 Pruis. When I bought the car 2 years ago the self-leveling headlights were aimed so low I could barely see the road ahead at night. I kept driving with that problem for a year. Now I have the opposite problem. I can see much better now at night, but every other car I meet flashes their lights at me because they thing mine are on bright, but they aren't. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do about this problem. Is there a part I can buy and have my husband, who is very handy with cars, install the part?

Thanks all.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes. Chances are that the level sensor has failed. It is a little lever operated potentiometer installed on the left rear suspension point. As weight is added in the back of the car, the springs compress, which squeezes this little sensor. These sensors failed on many of the older Prius. It's a fairly simple fix to swap it out.

Tom

6. Biking Maniac

Biking Maniac Five Prius – have not sold one yet!

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I repaired the levelling sensor on our 2005 and got about 3 more months out of it, then it failed again. It is now essentially dust. Oh, and a little rust. Replacement parts are close to $300 as everyone knows. Has anyone sucessfully hacked this by jumping the wires, or putting a resistor in the circuit? What is actually happening in the "black box" of that sensor? Thanks for any input!

Mark

7. edgrzy

edgrzy Junior Member

I removed the faulty sensor on mine and took it apart. Three screws hold the cover on. What I discovered was the contacts inside were worn down. I took out my soldering iron and very carefully built up the contacts with solder. Put the cover back on and put a meter on it. Moving the arm back and forth I saw different readings on the meter. Put it back on the car and it is still working after 20,000 miles after being repaired.

1 person likes this.
  8. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Steve at AutoBeYours.com sells a $25 solution that will bypass the level sensor.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...lamp-warning-light-chime-chime-chime-ugh.html

1 person likes this.