1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem with the AC

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by markjosh51, Oct 26, 2019.

1. markjosh51

markjosh51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope that someone might have experience this problem. I have a 2014 Prius two. Every time I turn on the ac the air flow gets really weak. It feels like it wants to turn off. I have also noticed that when it does this the air temperature goes from cold to warm. Then in about three minutes the air flow returns back to full and the air temperature gets cold again. This happens every 10 minutes. I changed the cabin filter hoping that the problem was fixed but it still does. I don’t hear any noises and my car drives fine when it does it. Has anyone experienced this?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @lech auto air conditionin is our PriusChat expert on these systems... Message him, or maybe he'll notice being mentioned before you reach out to him?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    how many miles on her?

4. markjosh51

markjosh51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two

5. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

I got to say on the Prius I have not experienced this one yet but I’m here in San Francisco in a mild climate.
    Every 10 minutes sounds like a pretty fast cycle time for the problem that I’m about to mention but I might as well give a shot in the dark and see what comes up.
    Next time this problem happens if the blower sounds like it’s still running but the airflow starts slowly getting weaker well this problem still exist open the hood of the car locate the large suction line the cold line does it look like there’s some frost on it you won’t be able to see this in all weather conditions depending on temperature and humidity.
    I was just thinking of ice forming on the fence plugging up the condenser stopping airflow but the blower keeps blowing.
    But if it’s the actual blower slowing down and coming to a crawl that’s a different story somebody else may be able to chime in on that one if they have come across that I have not on a Prius.

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there could be a blower problem, but i don't understand why the air would get warmer.

the fan speed does correlate to compressor speed though, iirc

7. markjosh51

markjosh51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I checked the fans to see if they were spinning and they were. I also checked the metal pole and i didn’t see any frozen ice. Maybe it could be the compressor or low refrigerate.

8. markjosh51

markjosh51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I checked the fans to see if they were spinning and they were. I also checked the metal pole and i didn’t see any frozen ice. Maybe it could be the compressor or low refrigerate

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so pull out the cabin filter and watch the fan when the airflow slows.

does the air get less cool as flow slows, or does it actually become as warm as ambient?

10. markjosh51

markjosh51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think I may have found the problem. The fan did looked like it slowed down just a little bit.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. markjosh51

markjosh51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But I don’t know if the temperature is caused by this. I guess I will replace it an see what happens.

bisco likes this.